Ford Forums banner

351 / 429 Swap?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  dodgewolf 
#1 ·
I love my 77 LTD with it's 351m, but after a complete rebuild and more miles than I (or it) can count - it's time for a new engine. Does the 351 swap with a 429? I've got a guy willing to let a rebuilt 429 with still-in-the-box Edelbrock intake go for $800.

Any advice?

#2 ·
dodgewolf said:
I love my 77 LTD with it's 351m, but after a complete rebuild and more miles than I (or it) can count - it's time for a new engine. Does the 351 swap with a 429? I've got a guy willing to let a rebuilt 429 with still-in-the-box Edelbrock intake go for $800.

Any advice?
Take it. While not a direct swap, nearly everything will swap over fairly easily. The obvious, such as exhaust, are going to be different.

A 429 will make a load of torque. Some might not like the added weight of the big block, though.

:davis:

#3 ·
davis said:
The obvious, such as exhaust, are going to be different.

:davis:
The current exhaust, as with the body, etc. isn't in top form anyhow, so that doesn't bother me. My wife LOVES this old ghetto-yacht, and wants it running again ASAP.

What modifications can I expect to make in order to make this swap work? New exhaust / headers? Engine mounts? Any major changes in power steering pump, a/c compressor, brakes, etc?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.