Ford Forums banner

351 Crank and Rods

9K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  davis 
#1 ·
I'm looking at converting my 302 to a '51 as a part of my rebuild. Can anyone tell me what I have to look out for when purchasing the parts?

There are a couple of sets (crank and rods) in our local trading post, I rang one guy and he said it has been fitted with 30thou oversize bearings, is that a lot of grinding on a clevo crank? Reason I ask is because when my brother rebuilt his Windsor he only had to grind the crank 10thou..

Also what about the rods? How can I tell if they are straight?

He is asking $300 for the set plus a set of 2V heads which I dont really need anyway. Is that an OK price?
The main Ford wreckers over here charge between $250-$400 for a set, depending on condition and type, so it seems OK to me.

Or should I just buy them from the wreckers so if there are any problems I can take them back?

Any advice would be good thanks guys..

#2 ·
if you are stepping up to a 351 when you rebuild your 302 you can keep your 302 rods and use a piston with a shorter deck height such as those available from hypatec.As for cranks try to find one that is of standard size or at the most 10 under.30 under will be junk if its on the mains and it needs another grind.i,m sure one of the forum guys has a nice crank to sell.

#3 ·
Thanks mate
Are the pistons any more expensive if I use my 302 rods?
What about compression? I was planning on keeping the 302 heads. Will that still be OK? I'm going straight LPG if that helps..

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but yeah I'm a newbie at this stuff..

#4 ·
I think the pistons are around 380-400 bucks,certainly more expensive than a cast standard piston but cheaper than say a forged trw and much lighter as well.I have a set of hypatecs which are hyperutectics and they look to be of good quality.As for the heads the 302 heads are perfect candidates for gas only use and should yield approx 10 to 1 comp depending on final deck height,gasket thickness etc. You may want to install hardened seats in the exhaust to combat wear from gas use.If you want PM me as i,m in Perth as well and know someone who can do this help you were i can .cheers russ

#8 ·
Always better to use the 302C 6" rods with the shorter pistons with the 351C crank.
Better rod/stroke ratio.
I was going this route but ended up with a 4.0L ED Falcon instead.
So...I have a new set of 30" ACL Race Series 1.4" p-ht pistons with Moly rings and a new set of ARP rod bolts to suit for sale if your interested ???
Also use 2V intake and 4V exhaust valves.

#10 ·
im on the same boat... i gotta baby clevo, and i wanna bigger clevo 51....

i know the difference is the rod, and crank b/w the 2, if i get the 51 crank, and wanna keep the smaller rods, what do i need extra?

#13 ·
im lookin at doing the same thing, except i want to stroke it to a 378 or somewhere around there, will i be able to use the 302 block? the reason i ask this is because u can put a 351 crank in a 302 but i was wondering if you can put a machined lengthened 351 crank so it makes to 378ci? Do you have to use a 351 block to stroke it? (sorry for the hijack)

#14 ·
All the blocks are just a cleveland block. Ford made the one block and then put in either crank to suit there needs. Either 302 or 351. Mine now has a 351 crank, and it was from a 1981 302 fairlane, which had about 60000 kms from factory, and some old guy owned it. Good candidate to lastlong. So yes you can run whatever stroke you desire.

#15 ·
XDman said:
im lookin at doing the same thing, except i want to stroke it to a 378 or somewhere around there, will i be able to use the 302 block? the reason i ask this is because u can put a 351 crank in a 302 but i was wondering if you can put a machined lengthened 351 crank so it makes to 378ci? Do you have to use a 351 block to stroke it? (sorry for the hijack)
keep in mind that if you increase the swept volume by stroking then you also increase the comp ratio,and if you have 302 heads then your comp will be way too high. For example 67cc with 3.7 stroke will yield approx 10.47 to 1. 77cc (open chamber) with 3.7 stroke will yield closer to 9.5 to 1. unless you don,t mind running high octane that is you may be on the lookout for open heads or a dished piston to suit.

#16 ·
dont bother stroking it, 5.8 litres is more than enough
keep the 6" 302 pistons
use ACL Race series rebuild kit (comes with pistons with shorter skirt to suit the rod) available from www.vpw.com.au
get a wieand xcellerator manifold, 750DP, extractors, RR's, ported heads and you have the potential for a 400hp motor.

#17 ·
im still keen on stroking it tho... i know the pros and cons but im going to stick with a bit of extra torque (its what i like feeling in the car) when it just pulls away with ease without having to change gears...

#18 ·
$400 for the ACL Race Series pistons and moly rings.
I can deliver to your door through Fastways !!!

russxr67 said:
I think the pistons are around 380-400 bucks,certainly more expensive than a cast standard piston but cheaper than say a forged trw and much lighter as well.I have a set of hypatecs which are hyperutectics and they look to be of good quality.As for the heads the 302 heads are perfect candidates for gas only use and should yield approx 10 to 1 comp depending on final deck height,gasket thickness etc. You may want to install hardened seats in the exhaust to combat wear from gas use.If you want PM me as i,m in Perth as well and know someone who can do this help you were i can .cheers russ

#20 · (Edited)
i agree, im also interested in that price
edit: i was just looking at vpw.com and was wondering if i could get the Chev 383, 3.750 in. stroke x 6.000 in. x 2.100 crank machined to fit some sort of good quality cheap rod, and some acl pistons with 2v 302 heads which would give me what compression? and what cost, i know the pistons from cleve are 400 + 411 for crank + woteva machining cost+rods = how much do you blokes rekkon?

#22 ·
302C 6" rods give a better ROD/STROKE ratio than 351C 5.78" rods.
Known fact and on the street it gives you a bit more TORQUE.
Best is to get and fit the ARP rod bolts, close and hone the big end of the rods and install short 1.4" comp ht hypereutectic pistons and moly rings.
Even all the 378 and 383 strokers use 6" Chevy rods.

#24 ·
clevo400 said:
302C 6" rods give a better ROD/STROKE ratio than 351C 5.78" rods.
Known fact and on the street it gives you a bit more TORQUE.
Best is to get and fit the ARP rod bolts, close and hone the big end of the rods and install short 1.4" comp ht hypereutectic pistons and moly rings.
Even all the 378 and 383 strokers use 6" Chevy rods.
Really? . I don,t know about you but i have seen a lot with the 5.7 chev large journal rod.

#25 ·
Russ, thats true.
You see it depends on how much u want to spend and where u buy the kit.
Most common 378ci engine kits have 5.7" Chev rods and some others use the 6" Chev rods. Most use a 3.75" stroke. The other engine kits use a 3.78" stroke thus the 383ci.
Most stroker cranks use the 2.1" Chev journal rods because it's less bearing surface and it gives them the extra stroke but need to be modified to fit.
The cars I have seen and read about use the 6" Chev rods and do 11 secs.
They also use 4Vs with success.

If u know about 347ci Windsors all kits in Oz use the 5.4" rods but in USA u can get 5.315" rods. Whats the diff. The 5.315" rods need more clearance work to the rod and block so these engine kits are not preferred by engine rebuilders. Comes down to whether u want a budget stroker or a full race stroker.

russxr67 said:
Really? . I don,t know about you but i have seen a lot with the 5.7 chev large journal rod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.