351 fuel pump - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2003, 06:58   #1 (permalink)
ESP Man

confused 351 fuel pump

The standard fuel pump on my 351 can't keep the fuel up to the thermoquad when I nail it in 1st & 2nd gear. It goes about 50 metres in second and emptys the carbie until the pump catches up and then takes off again. The pump is fairly new but only a standard one.
I've seen high volume pumps advertised for approx $160. Can these be just bolted on using std lines or do I need to go up to 1/2 inch lines
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2003, 16:27   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I have a holley blue bolted to the standard fuel line and it works ok. Are you talking a holley mechanical pump or an electric pump for $160??
From memory the holley mechanical pump doesn;t come with 1/2 inch lines anyway.. but it's been a while since I looked at one !
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 18:40   #3 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Depending on the fuel requirements of your car? The New high volume mechanical pump might not keep up either.

I had the same problems with my 351. Stuffed a Holley blue trying to run it with standard fuel lines. $2000 later and a new fuel system from front to back I got a fuel system that works.

Brenden
Old 05-04-2003, 19:36   #4 (permalink)
ESP Man

I am considering ditching the thermoquad for a Holley 650DP or 750DP as I am in the process of a rebuild.

XA Coupe - The pump for $160 is a mechanical one. I will make enquiries and see if its fitted up for std lines or bigger.

Brenx - a 750DP is as big as I would go. My cam is a street/strip number CLH575 hydraulic from COME (if they ever get it to me) so the pump would need to feed the carbie up to say 6500rpm.
If I do need to go to 1/2 innch lines does this involve a new pick up in the tank? I've seen the line for sale but what happens at the tank?
Old 05-05-2003, 03:49   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

a holley blue will feed it to about that .. but only for a short time. I don't know that a mechanical one will do that.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:38   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally posted by shaynet
I am considering ditching the thermoquad for a Holley 650DP or 750DP as I am in the process of a rebuild.

XA Coupe - The pump for $160 is a mechanical one. I will make enquiries and see if its fitted up for std lines or bigger.

Brenx - a 750DP is as big as I would go. My cam is a street/strip number CLH575 hydraulic from COME (if they ever get it to me) so the pump would need to feed the carbie up to say 6500rpm.
If I do need to go to 1/2 innch lines does this involve a new pick up in the tank? I've seen the line for sale but what happens at the tank?
You'll need to go electric. A mechanical pump will only fuel a good engine till about 5800.

Sounds like a 650dp would be the chosen carb but a 750dp could always be down jetted and jetted up for a hotter engine. Personally if you've got the few extra $ I'd go 750 and down jet. As I am sure you'll get bored and want more.

Who makes they CLH575? A good cam to get to 6500rpm is the Crane F238. It comes in hydraulic and also solid configurations.

Throw a Holley blue on the stock lines with a fuel pressure gauge so you can keep an eye on the pressure. If the pressures no good? The pickup will need to be changed and the tank modified with a 1/2" pickup. Most radiator places do this for around $150-$200. Otherwise Supatrik engineering.

What model car is it? In XB's changing to a 1/2" pickup in the original tank is impractical. Due to the spare wheel well.

Try the holley blue on the stock lines first. Don't spend $ unless you need to.

Brenden
Old 05-05-2003, 07:59   #7 (permalink)
ESP Man

The cam is from C.O.M.E. in melbourne - have a look at www.comeracing.com lots of very detailed info. They sent me a catalogue which gives you all the engine requirements (Carby. manifold, comp, diff ratio, head mods etc etc) to suit the cam. Its a streemaster dual purpose grind with 524/553 lift with a rev range of 2300 - 6000. I guess I,m looking for a bit of all round performance
Its for my XD 351 with 302 closed chamber heads with 4V valves, double springs. hardened seats
I can't find the F238 on the Crane Cams website. I think they may have changed ID numbers
I will have try the Holley blue
Thanks
Old 05-05-2003, 16:21   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

COME make the cls108 which is for intensive purposed identical to the F238 .. I should know, the XA has one !
Old 05-05-2003, 23:06   #9 (permalink)
more power needed

I have a 351 XD with that cam (575) and used a 750 vac and standard fuel pump which seemed ok.I now have gas research 'cause the fuel was killing me.
120why is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 03:43   #10 (permalink)
ESP Man

120why
Were you happy with the cam - did it give alround grunt?
If you had the opportunity to pick again would you choose someting else.
The Holley website says vac secondaries are best for autos and DP are better for manuals
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech