351 Rear Main Seal Questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2005, 00:17   #1 (permalink)

351 Rear Main Seal Questions

Hi,

I have a 351 Cleveland with a leaking rear main seal.

The engine is out of the car and on an engine stand. I have removed the flexplate and sump and removed the rear bearing cap.

My questions are:

Today I ordered a "Sneaky Pete" to savce me removing my crank after reading posts on this website. Should I use this tool to save me removing my crank or now that I have pulled the engine and have it on the stand, is it better just to pull the crank and change the seal?

Also how much more effort is it to remove the crank and then do the job then reinstall and then re-torque all mains caps and conrod caps?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ray
raytriplej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2005, 02:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: 351 Rear Main Seal Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytriplej
Hi,

The engine is out of the car and on an engine stand. I have removed the flexplate and sump and removed the rear bearing cap.

My questions are:

Today I ordered a "Sneaky Pete" to savce me removing my crank after reading posts on this website. Should I use this tool to save me removing my crank or now that I have pulled the engine and have it on the stand, is it better just to pull the crank and change the seal?

Also how much more effort is it to remove the crank and then do the job then reinstall and then re-torque all mains caps and conrod caps?

Thanks,
Ray
it is a bit of effort to remove crank and replace rear main, however nowhere near as much as pulling the engine out. if it was me i'd pull the crank as I like to be able to see and double check everything.

next question is whats the engines history? if unknown maybe its a good idea to check your bearings and replace oil pump while your there. these days replacement parts are cheap so it ain't a big outlay for some insurance ( i've been bitten by buying a donor car and fitting a 351 to a 6cyl. didn't have much money so just did a quick check over, replaced the seals put a cam and inlet/exhaust on it. bad mistake got two weeks out of it before oil pump spat the dummy taking out the crank with it). even if the bearings look alright check em with plastigauge, for less than $20 its also a good investment.
blackxbhardtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 02:59   #3 (permalink)
ESP Man

Quote:
Hi,

My questions are:

Thanks,
Ray
My engine had an original rope rear seal and it was a hell of a job getting it out with the crank removed. There is no way it would have come out trying to work it around the crank. I'd say pull the crank.

However, r u removing the pistons from the bores?. If not you will need about 4 people to help you reinstall the crank so they can hold the conrods in position while you lower the crank into place. If doing this or removing/reinstalling pistons and rods make sure you put about 2" of hose over the rod bolts so they don't damage the crank big end surfaces.

If it was mine and its pulled down this far I'd be doing a reco job and replacing the pump - cheap insurance! Why is the rear seal leaking? Too much end float in the crank maybe? If you don't know how to measure this it may be worthwhile giving the job to a machine shop or you may find your new seal leaking again before long
Old 02-06-2005, 03:03   #4 (permalink)

Hi blackxbhardtop,

I am leaning towards pulling the crank so, like you say, "I can see and double check everything".

This 351 engine is also from a donor car with an unknown history. Compression tests were ok, and dash oil pressure gauge showed pressure, so I was going to throw it in. Then I found the leak from the rear main. I hadn't thought of changing the oil pump and checking the bearings, but it is a good idea. I don't want to spend heaps though as a reco engine from Repco is only $2000.

Looks like it's back to Repco for an oil pump and plastigauge though.

Thanks,
Ray

Last edited by raytriplej; 02-06-2005 at 03:04. Reason: misspelling
Old 02-06-2005, 03:12   #5 (permalink)

Hi Shaynet,

Thanks for the info regarding the hose on rod bolts and extra people on hand to help.

This buying an engine on the cheap and then throwing it in isn't really going to plan!! LOL!!! You live and learn I guess.

I can't check the end float on the crank but it was leaking while sitting on the stand (ie not running). I think I will pull the crank, change the seal, instal a new sump seal, instal a new oil pump and check my bearings and then see how I go. If it all goes to hell I'll exchange it for a Repco engine.

But thanks again for the pointers. I will have friends around for a BBQ the day I'm installing the crank to line up my conrods!!!!!

Ray
Old 02-07-2005, 03:52   #6 (permalink)

Oh my God, what was I thinking? I had another look into the depths of my Cleveland and reaslised just how much work removing the crank, rods, timing chain, etc, etc... would be. I don't think my mechanical skills are up to that, being an electrician after all.

Anyway, I got the rear main seal out without any drama, now I have to wait for Repco to order my new rear main seal an I'll put it all back together and see how it goes.

Thanks for the info though,
Ray
Old 02-07-2005, 05:42   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh my God, what was I thinking? I had another look into the depths of my Cleveland and reaslised just how much work removing the crank, rods, timing chain, etc, etc... would be. I don't think my mechanical skills are up to that, being an electrician after all.

Anyway, I got the rear main seal out without any drama, now I have to wait for Repco to order my new rear main seal an I'll put it all back together and see how it goes.

Thanks for the info though,
Ray
Ive got the good Felpro 2 piece rubber seal if you want. I have 2 or 3 new ones laying around. Your in Cairns, ah?
Old 02-08-2005, 03:43   #8 (permalink)

Hi XDCLEVO,

Yes I am in Cairns. Good to see other FNQers online. Thanks for your offer for the seal but I have ordered one already and it should be here thurs. Have you any other parts "laying around"? I am changing a six cylinder XD to an eight cylinder XD and as such am on the lookout for bits and pieces.

Ray
Old 02-08-2005, 06:41   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi XDCLEVO,

Yes I am in Cairns. Good to see other FNQers online. Thanks for your offer for the seal but I have ordered one already and it should be here thurs. Have you any other parts "laying around"? I am changing a six cylinder XD to an eight cylinder XD and as such am on the lookout for bits and pieces.

Ray
Is the seal your getting the 2 piece rubber type?
Also, i dont too much stuff for a conversion. Maybe a radiator. Still, if your stuck, i have a few mates with ford parts. Let us know.
Old 02-08-2005, 14:03   #10 (permalink)

Yes it is the rubber two piece one. I was suprised how easily the old one came out. Hope the new one goes in just as easily. If all goes well I could have the sump on, engine filled with oil and checking for leaks by the weekend. Then change the water pump. Then I'll start pulling the six out. I would like to keep the car on the road as long as possible while I mess around getting the v8 leak free.

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech