Ford Forums banner

351 stroker question

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  xafalcon 
#1 ·
I have a couple of 400M cranks. Is it possible to use these to make a 4" stroke cleveland? The main jurnals would obviously need to be turned down. The perhaps using a 302C rod there may be a piston that would be suitable?

Any ideas or experience with this?

Cheers
Tris

#5 ·
xafalcon said:
I have a couple of 400M cranks. Is it possible to use these to make a 4" stroke cleveland? The main jurnals would obviously need to be turned down. The perhaps using a 302C rod there may be a piston that would be suitable?

Any ideas or experience with this?

Cheers
Tris
The short answer is that the 400 (no M) is already a 4" stroke Cleveland. Just put a set of good heads on it, use a decent inlet and some extractors.

I definitely would not recommend turning down the main journals to fit the Cleveland main size. You'd have to take them down by a quarter inch. As Rhett says: it takes a heap of machining, then balancing, and you still only end up with a weakened cast crank.

There is no way that a 400 crank will ever fit in a 351 Windsor block. They both have 3" mains, but the bearing spacing is different and so are the bearing thrust surfaces. You can't even reasonably machine a 400 crank to fit a 351W.

The 400 crank will drop in to a 351M.

The Scat 9000-series "cast steel" cranks (and other manufacturer's corresponding components) are very low cost. Unless you happen to own a machine shop, they are a much cheaper option than cutting down a 400 crank to fit to a 351 Cleveland block.

:davis:

#6 ·
davis said:
There is no way that a 400 crank will ever fit in a 351 Windsor block. They both have 3" mains, but the bearing spacing is different and so are the bearing thrust surfaces. You can't even reasonably machine a 400 crank to fit a 351W. :davis:
I beg to differ. I used to own one until just recently.

The 400 crank was turned down and fitted with Chrysler 265 rods. It came out at around 426ci. It used to be a fairly common conversion down here (in a 351 Windsor).

But its not the thing to do these days, with cheap stroker cranks available. The cost of mallory alone would buy you a finished, purpose built crank.

We also used to fit Cleveland cranks into 302 Windsors - but thats another story...

#9 ·
Haven't checked this thread for a few days and look what's happened. All hell breaking loose. PAW (Performance Automotive Wharehouse, USA) makes a 427W stroker kit using a machined down and offset ground (4 1/8" stroke) 400M crank and uses chrysler 360 rods and a KB off the shelf piston. From what I've read, no mallory is needed. It is balanced in combination with a 50 oz-in flexplate and balancer. The kit retails for US$400 over a basic 351W kit so the machine work can't be too drastic.

So I thought rather than attacking the rod journals like the windsor conversion above, why not reduce the main journals and it becomes a 4" stroke cleveland crank. Won't be any weaker than a standard cleveland crank, and how often do they fail? Thought somebody may have done it before. But by the sounds of it this is not the case. Probably a good reason not to have a go myself - if it was practical someone would know someone who has done it before.

Thanks for the input though. Always appreciate another opinion.

Cheers
Tris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.