351c - how to add torque - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2003, 22:34   #1 (permalink)
Krazy Kyle

351c - how to add torque

running stock at the mo. as stated in a previous thread a cam isnt ideal, but still, it add's hp, it usualy add's torque. extractors - whats is the major Hp curve diffrence between 4 - 1 and try Y's. and how much improvement does a balance X flow pipe make? and whatelse can i do for a reasonable budget?
Bounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2003, 22:48   #2 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Re: 351c - how to add torque

Use tri-Y's, get an Edelbrock Performer manifold, use a Holley 600 vac sec, and dual 2 1/4" exhaust.

That's a good start for bolt ons.

If you wanted to get a bit tricky without breaking the bank, throw on a multi keyed timing chain and advance the cam a few degrees.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 23:36   #3 (permalink)

Tri-y's help with bottom end, changing the manifold will only help produce more HP, even then i have seen standard 4 barrel 2V manifolds on motors making 400+Hp, putting a good holley 600DP will help, but the biggest difference will be if you put in a better, not bigger but better cam, the original ford cams were designed to really limit the power of the 351. advancing the cam will only pick up a couple hp at 2000, but will lose triple the amount you pickup at 5000, and will also cause detenation problems.

Best solution i can give you is to go get a Cam Dynamics cam which are cheap at around $130, and a set of lifters, there is one that is a factory 260hp cam which makes a enourmous improvement in touque, it has 484thou lift if that helps you to find, i don't know the part no. Then add extractors, carb and go get your dizzy curbed to suit and you will be pleasently surprised.

With these motors you can put in really big cams and run crane anti pump up lifters and still have good bottom end touque.

My brother and i have done many that were stock bottom ends, put the right cam, carb, dizzy curb, exhaust, correctly tuned, and gone from running 16's to early 13's. with standard converters, and 3.0 to 1 diff gears.
EA Turbo Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 19:21   #4 (permalink)
Krazy Kyle

BTW, its also on straight gas. i rough idel is also in the plans.
Bounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech