351C - a lot of Fuel in my Oil? Any suggestions? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2005, 11:06   #1 (permalink)

351C - a lot of Fuel in my Oil? Any suggestions?

Some background:
-Engine rebuilt over 10 years ago - <5000 miles on it since then
-Mods are - MSD, Weind intake, Holly carb(1406)
-Car sat for long periods of time
-Recently started driving it, noticed oil level was a bit high and smelled like gas
-Changed oil and filter, used 10w30 synthetic.

I have driven the car only 15 miles since the oil change. Checked the oil level and it is 4X too high(very thin, can barely read the level)!! Really smells like gas now!

How is gas getting into my oil? Diaphram leaking on my fuel pump(stock)? Worn rings already?? Changing to synthetic seemed to make it worse not better! Carb problem all of a sudden? I am stumped, and now have no transportation. Any suggestions guys?
beetfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2005, 13:30   #2 (permalink)

Re: 351C - a lot of Fuel in my Oil? Any suggestions?

Can't edit so I had to reply.

-The carb is an edelbrock(the holley was my old one)

I am not even going to start it up, then oil is too thin now. So thin that that it is leaking passed the front seal, trickling down the crank pulley, and dripping on the ground! I get about 4 drops a minute. This is crazy! I need some help on this one.
Old 12-16-2005, 13:51   #3 (permalink)
ESP Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetfeet
Can't edit so I had to reply.

-The carb is an edelbrock(the holley was my old one)

I am not even going to start it up, then oil is too thin now. So thin that that it is leaking passed the front seal, trickling down the crank pulley, and dripping on the ground! I get about 4 drops a minute. This is crazy! I need some help on this one.
1st thing to check would be the fuel pump. A replacement is relatively inexpensive

Doesn't seem like that much volume of fuel could be coming from anywhere else
Old 12-16-2005, 14:20   #4 (permalink)
XB GT'S ROCK !

Yep...definitly would be buying a new fuel pump and then be giving it another oil and filter change. Dont start it too often as all it needs is one backfire and you will blow the ass out of your sump ! Ive seen that one happen a few times.
1975 XB GT REPLICA.....351 CLEAVELAND, MAGNUM 280 DEGREE COMP CAM,302 CLOSED CHAMBERED 2V HEADS, 4V STAINLES VALVES, WIEND ACCELORATOR SINGLE PLAIN INLET MANIFOLD,750 SQUARE BORE HOLLEY CARB. TOP LOADER GEARBOX BACKED UP BY A 9 INCH AT THE REAR ! YET TO BE TIMED.....HOPEING FOR A LOW 13 SEC
Thunderoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 14:20   #5 (permalink)

Ok pulled the pump and there is nothing to see there really. Drained the fuel from it, plugged the output, blew into the input, and could have swore I heard air escaping from inside. I can't be 100% sure though. Is this a common problem with mechanical pumps?

Anyway, they aren't too expensive so I will pick one up and we'll see. I will post tomorrow on the results.
Old 12-16-2005, 14:26   #6 (permalink)

Yep, good move.

Remember, it can pump more pressure than your lips can get on those fittings. And I'm sure you can't suck a golf ball thru a 30ft garden hose A hairline crack will squirt fuel out under high pressure.

I wouldn't worry about an expensive synthetic oil. Good heavy duty mineral oil if fine. Especially if it may do it again......which I think it won't.
Old 12-17-2005, 14:20   #7 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: 351C - a lot of Fuel in my Oil? Any suggestions?

Got the new fuel pump from Autozone - $22 and change with tax. Drained the oil and holy cow!@! Good thing I had an empty 5 gallon bucket, I have 3 inches to spare!!!!!! I knew there was fuel in there but never figured on almost 5 gallons! Guess I won't need to put any oil flush in there for awhile. Changed the filter.

Fired up on the first kick and kept running. Went on two trips around the block, let it sit for 10 mins. Oil level is dead on. Seems like the leaks I sprung have gone away too.

Well, I can honestly say I am happy now. At least it was nothing major. It was an easy fix with all of the room I had (even with a 351C stuffed in a 67 stang). And it was cheap too.

I would like to thank you guys for replying to my post. I would have started with the pump, but it is always easier hearing it from someone else who knows what they are doing.

Hopefully this post helps someone in the future. I will tune in from time to time to see what is going on in this forum.

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 12-17-2005, 17:38   #8 (permalink)

So nearly 20 litres of fluid in the motor? That sucker must of been full to the bottom of the pistons. I would keep an eye on the motor for a while and make sure you didnt damage the bearings or anything.
Good to see you sorted it out
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 20:20   #9 (permalink)

Nice work.

With the price of fuel these days, I hope you poured it back into your fuel tank! It might run a little smokey, but hey
Old 12-23-2005, 16:07   #10 (permalink)

Ha! I seriously considered putting it back into my tank! But, I didn't. It might not have hurt too much but with the problems I have been having lately I didn't want to add to them.

And I am still worried about the bearings though! I only went 10 miles max while my oil level was going up. I was keeping an eye on it since I figured something was up after the first oil change. I think I am ok though. No excessive noise, even under load, so I am guessing not too much damage was done. The synthetic oil surely helped me out some I'm sure.

I am planning on changing the oil again in 2 weeks just to make sure I get all of the gas out of the system. My oil pressure is great right now so I am not really worried about it too much. I do plan on going back to synthetic on the next oil change. I am sold on the stuff. My sister-in-law owns a shuttle service and has 2 full size Ford vans(V-10s) with over 700,000 miles on them! She just had to pull both engines cause 2 spark plug holes are stripped out on one and the other had the same thing with only one stripped out. She is only swapping out the heads and slapping them back in. She also ran a 460 for 600,000 miles until it dropped a valve. The bottom end was still good on it, so she swapped heads and has another 100,000 on the engine so far!

Synthetic costs a lot more, but if you plan on keeping the vehicle, it is well worth the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech