393C Dragster update - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2004, 08:58   #1 (permalink)
'60 F100 Q-Code

393C Dragster update

Extractors are now welded up and the shifter is mounted.

I am still waiting for my O2 sensor weld-on bungs and EGT probe weld-on bungs to arrive in order to weld them and send the whole works out for Jet Hot coating.

I have a set of 4" turn out that have diffusers in them, which will meet NHRA noise requirements for tracks with noise rules.

I still have a lot more work to do on the car before it is ready to run. It is too hot to spend too much time each day working on it. In the early mornings it is over 29*C and by lunchtime it has been up to about 40*C (in my garage!) every day. We had a couple of "cool" days where it didn't go much above 36*C due to some overcast weather.

The only thing that I can do is work on it for a couple of hours in the early mornings on weekends. I hope to have it running by late September to early October when the nights start to cool down enough to put a fire suit on and wait in the staging lanes.

:davis:
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2004, 14:04   #2 (permalink)
Death by Ford

Re: 393C Dragster update

Wow excellent dragster you got there davis(lucky bastard). I hear ya about them hot days, here in South Australia we get temps like those. Sometimes it gets over 40*c for a couple of weeks in a row, it's good for the beach and drinking beer but not so good for working on cars. Damn i wish it was summer here, ours dosen't start till about november. What times do you think the dragster is going to be putting down?
CLEVELAND JUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 23:39   #3 (permalink)
'60 F100 Q-Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEVLAND JUNKY
Wow excellent dragster you got there davis(lucky bastard). I hear ya about them hot days, here in South Australia we get temps like those. Sometimes it gets over 40*c for a couple of weeks in a row, it's good for the beach and drinking beer but not so good for working on cars. Damn i wish it was summer here, ours dosen't start till about november. What times do you think the dragster is going to be putting down?
We basically have three to four months of summer where it doesn't usually get too much below about 32*C at night and can easily get over 47*C during the day. However, this month has been somewhat more mild and included a few overcast days where it didn't even get over 39*C.

The dragster should run a low 8, maybe a high 7.

Old 07-19-2004, 01:01   #4 (permalink)
'77 XC Wagon in progress

You know, I was just starting to wonder what sort of car a "608 FWHP 510 FWTQ 393C" would fit nicely into... now I know. Bloody hell.

Nice work!
Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 01:50   #5 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Lovely work, keep us updated.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 02:05   #6 (permalink)

jeeeebus! That things gonna definately put you back into your seat, maybe even through to the motor!!!!

Nice work davis, wish i had the funds to build a killer 393 :(
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

FOR SALE: 1980 XD, Recently rebuilt 9" disc diff, with 3.25 gears, toploader with hurst shifter kit, 302C, DBA slotted and cross driled rotors, Fairmont interior with modified centre console, jellybean mags, reasonably good condition, driveline will handle 400+rwhp PM FOR PICS asking $3500
XDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 02:12   #7 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

Nice work Davis, looks impressive, what will the completed package weigh ? and what power figure do think it will achieve ?.
falcon coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 02:25   #8 (permalink)

its his 608 FWHP i think, the 393. Correct me if im wrong davis
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

FOR SALE: 1980 XD, Recently rebuilt 9" disc diff, with 3.25 gears, toploader with hurst shifter kit, 302C, DBA slotted and cross driled rotors, Fairmont interior with modified centre console, jellybean mags, reasonably good condition, driveline will handle 400+rwhp PM FOR PICS asking $3500
XDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 07:04   #9 (permalink)
'60 F100 Q-Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon coupe
Nice work Davis, looks impressive, what will the completed package weigh ? and what power figure do think it will achieve ?.
My weight estimates put the entire package somewhere between 1450-1580# with me in it. Dyno tests are as XDman notes, 608 HP. I believe that there is about another 30 HP in it that were not "tuned out of it" as a result of a relatively brief tuning session...only made 6 pulls.

Another couple of months of tinkering with it and a few more large dollar item purchases and I should have it fairly close to being ready to make some initial test passes.

Neeek, I'd like to see an engine similar to this in a '67 Cougar with a full hand-hammered aluminum body, 5-speed G-Force clutchless, Mark Williams magnesium rear end with 4.30:1 gears, MT ET Drag 10.5W tires, chome moly Eliminator II chassis with Strange aluminum strut front end and lightest weight materials used throughout. Including a Fontana alloy block with a large over bore and short stroke running injected alcohol and topped with a set of the 4-valves per cylinder Arao heads.

...don't wake me up from the dream!

The only problem with it (other than financial) is that PSCA won't allow a 4-valve head into their Outlaw Street (10.5W tire) class.

Old 07-19-2004, 20:29   #10 (permalink)
Champion Goose

Phwoar!! Drooling over those 4-Valve heads.
XAHardtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech