400 advice needed - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 13:14   #1 (permalink)

400 advice needed

hello everyone, this is my first post on this board!

im working on a 65 mustang, i dont know much of the history or about the engine.

it said 400 on the valve cover but i found rebuilt heads and intake for a 351c

should i put the 351c heads and intake on and set the heads that were on the engine aside?

cam shaft says "erson tq20h" will this camshaft have a nice lope?

pics of the heads for reference, the top heads were on the engine and the bottom heads were rebuilt and had a matching 351c intake

any advice would be greatly appreciated
SUPER dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 07:34   #2 (permalink)

Re: 400 advice needed

Not knowing your knowledge level...have you confirmed by casting # that they are C heads & not 351M/400 heads? If the intake is C, then it won't fit the wider 400 block(higher deck move heads apart!). Are the heads 4 bl or 2 bl heads?
George1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:11   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by George1861 View Post
Not knowing your knowledge level...have you confirmed by casting # that they are C heads & not 351M/400 heads? If the intake is C, then it won't fit the wider 400 block(higher deck move heads apart!). Are the heads 4 bl or 2 bl heads?
i haven confirmed the heads are c heads but there was writing on them like from a machine shop after rebuilding. it looks like the intake is for a 4 bbl. important not 100% sure though. what should i look for?
SUPER dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:23   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPER dolemite View Post
i haven confirmed the heads are c heads but there was writing on them like from a machine shop after rebuilding. it looks like the intake is for a 4 bbl. important not 100% sure though. what should i look for?
The C-2V has big ports & valves, the C-4V has huge ports & valves. You have to match the 2. 2V heads & the 400/351M intake will work to gether, if you happen to have 4 bl heads you'd need the C-4V intake & spacers. Post the casting numbers if you don't know witch you have. Have you confirmed it's a 400? the only diffrence between the M & the 400 is crank & pistons. There are some huge valves available that could be put in the heads Qual cast 10-1170 & 10-1169, usefull if it's a 400. Have you tried Googleing the cam?
Old 07-18-2011, 09:26   #5 (permalink)

An OEM 4V intake won't work with 2V heads, there are aftermarket intakes that are 4 bl for the 2V heads & for the 4V heads, you have to know witch it's made for, at least in the States, there are OEM 4 bl intakes for the 2 bl heads in Australia. That's on the Cs, the M & 400 OEM intakes are 2bl for 2 bl heads only.
Old 07-24-2011, 16:23   #6 (permalink)

actually a 4V intake will work on 2V heads and makes a 30hp improvement even with the mismatch but you're a ways away from there yet...

a 351M/400 block has a raised T-stat and usually a vertical rib next to the distributor hole, a Cleveland block has a flat Tstat flush with the top of the timing housing

on the underside of the intake runners on each head there's a cast code like DOAE-GA, what are they all?

can you post more pics of the intake ports and chambers?

see on the old heads where there is open space around the pushrods? i don't see the open spaces on the new heads so i'm thinkin they are 4V?
tinman351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech