400 clevo into XC, anyone done it before? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2005, 06:19   #1 (permalink)
what u lookin at

400 clevo into XC, anyone done it before?

Hey clevo pros

My mate has just got himself a 400 clevo at a very good price with an FMX which hes going to fit it into his XC Sundowner Panelvan.

The motor has got a bit of work done (new pistons/30 thou, tunnel bored, shotpeened rods, three angle valve job, s/s valves, head shaved 20 thou, crow cam,etc) It hasnt been run in yet either (although the guy he bought it off turned it over once every month for about 5 years or so, with a bit of oil in the cylinders)

Is it possible the motor has been run in from the above? or i was thinkin it could be bad for it from no load -glazed bores maybe?

Anyway...

Has anyone done this type of conversion before or know whats involved? what parts were needed and what modifications were needed.etc?

Ive heard 351 windsor engine mounts will make it bolt straight up, dunno what else though.....

Any help would be much apprieciated

cheers

Most other parts available, PM me
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2005, 13:23   #2 (permalink)

Re: 400 clevo into XC, anyone done it before?

they are the same as a 351 cleveland just different stroke.
Old 06-01-2005, 16:49   #3 (permalink)
what u lookin at

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge
they are the same as a 351 cleveland just different stroke.
well thats not the only difference. different height/width, taller deck, big block(429/460) bellhousing bolt pattern and im sure there are a few more differences.

Old 06-01-2005, 17:06   #4 (permalink)
351 XE on LPG

How did you get the FMX (small block bolt pattern)
to bolt up to the 400 (big block bolt pattern).
Rhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:53   #5 (permalink)
what u lookin at

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett
How did you get the FMX (small block bolt pattern)
to bolt up to the 400 (big block bolt pattern).
i think its big block box, but now you got some bells ringing in my head and i think it could be a c6. its got an alloy bellhousing and iron body...

Old 06-02-2005, 04:00   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by needturbo6
It hasnt been run in yet either (although the guy he bought it off turned it over once every month for about 5 years or so, with a bit of oil in the cylinders)

Is it possible the motor has been run in from the above? or i was thinkin it could be bad for it from no load -glazed bores maybe?
No, the motor won't be run in nor should it have done any damage if the previous owner did what he said. It would be worth doing a leakdown test on it (if you can borrow the gear) and make sure rings haven't stuck during 5 yr sit.

Make sure it's got the oil pump primed before initial start-up, that way there's oil there as soon as you start cranking.
jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:16   #7 (permalink)
under thumb

Yes they do have fmx boxes due do a small block pattern drilled in the block. There are two 400 blocks the other has the bigblock pattern!

Engine mounts are the same as 351 the only drama may be getting extractors to clear the shock towers! using stock manifolds should clear the towers ok but you may need custom engine pipes
Old 06-03-2005, 03:15   #8 (permalink)
what u lookin at

yeh this one is the big block bellhousing pattern, the small block pattern ive read is rare...

Old 06-03-2005, 06:36   #9 (permalink)

Hello NeedTurbo6.
I have just put a 400 Cleveland into an XD. There are some problems you will need to deal with to do this successfully. The 400 block has a 429/460 big block pattern so you will need to find either a big block bellhousing for the FMX (I went this route and imported the bell from the US) or use a C6. The engine mounts are not the same as the 351 Cleveland. You can get some from a Ford F-series wrecker in Kilsyth VIC. You will also probably need to get a different length tail shaft. Also, may need to do some minor alterations to your headers to clear the steering box. If you give me your private email address I can email you some pictures of the XD.
Cheers
Craig
kionga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:21   #10 (permalink)
what u lookin at

Quote:
Originally Posted by kionga
Hello NeedTurbo6.
I have just put a 400 Cleveland into an XD. There are some problems you will need to deal with to do this successfully. The 400 block has a 429/460 big block pattern so you will need to find either a big block bellhousing for the FMX (I went this route and imported the bell from the US) or use a C6. The engine mounts are not the same as the 351 Cleveland. You can get some from a Ford F-series wrecker in Kilsyth VIC. You will also probably need to get a different length tail shaft. Also, may need to do some minor alterations to your headers to clear the steering box. If you give me your private email address I can email you some pictures of the XD.
Cheers
Craig
hey Craig mate!!
excellent to hear from someone thats done a similar conversion.
My mate already has a box with the right bellhousing. Im pretty sure its an FMX (cast iron/steel body- [surface rust])
Ill give him the tip about getting the f-series engine mounts, and tell him about the tailshaft. I think he might need to go a nine inch(which hes edging towards with the torque mountain...) so i suppose a tailshaft out of a nine inch/FMX'ed xa-xc could do the job...

headers - well hes got ones that came with the 302 van but he wants to get pacemakers so he might even be better off getting full custom jobbies. his money so ill have to talk to him....

cheers for the advice, ill give ya a PM with my email addy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech