Ford Forums banner

400 Into XE Falcon

12K views 46 replies 12 participants last post by  clevo400 
#1 ·
I am seriously considering putting a 400 engine into my XE falcon. and i just have a few questions that id like some help on before i go and purchase this engine. The engine came out of an XD so i have the engine mounts etc to fit it. i currently have a 302 clevo in my XE. can i use my exhaust system thats on it as it has pacemaker extractors to a straight through mandrel exhaust?

i want to use my single rail gearbox aswell, what would i need to put it on, or will my clevo bellhousing fit? will my tail shaft be the right length?
do these blocks have any major differences besides the deck hights? and what would you guys reccomend about putting this engine in?
any ideas and thoughts would be much appreciated.
thanks john

#3 ·
The 400 uses a big block bell housing pattern so wont fit a normal clevo setup.The 400 is also quite a bit wider so the extractors might not fit.I did a 400 XE a few years ago for a friend and we used some f100 manifolds with the big outlets which fitted ok.The extractors we tried wouldn't fit due to the extra width.

#4 ·
howd the XE go with the 400 in it?? i didnt think the 400's where wider, only higher? this engine is all new and just needs to be put together really and i was told should be around the 330 rwkw.
for the cost of this engine and the amount id have to spend on my 302 to get that power andf torque i just cant look past it.

#5 ·
Well if the deck height is taller, the width will be wider won't it?

I'd personally consider doing something with what you've already got, but if the 400 is cheap, and you want to do something a bit different, go for it!

Good Luck Anyways ;)

#6 ·
yeah the engine is going pretty cheap from a mate of mine who was going to put it in his LTD. i figure for the cost to get the 400 and get it running and tuned in my car would come out way far cheaper then the parts to rebuild the engine ive got, and with the power its putting out i really cant look past it at this point?
thanks again john

#9 ·
Hello XEturbo.
I am looking to put a 400 Cleveland into an XD. I was looking at a stroker 377/383 for my 351 Cleveland but the expense of a stroker makes the 400 Cleveland an attractive alternative.
Brendan, thanks for your advice on engine mounts for fitting a 400 Cleveland into the XD. Castlemaine Rod Shop is the place to go. Will order a set tomorrow.
Cheers
Craig

#10 ·
yeah, thats why im seriously looking at doing the 400, because the power these have, and the power this one is producing is something that i couldnt compete withh unless i spent thousands on rebuilding and possibly stroking the clevo.

cos the xd is basically the same as an xe, id like to know how you go about fitting it all up.
cheers john

#12 ·
i nearly did this to my xa coupe, but sold it for my 4x4. you will need new engine mounts, engine brackets, you will need to use a top loader or c6 auto, with big block bellhousing. everything that bolts to a blue 302/351 will fit the 400m. the dissy is blue 13.? mm shaft, not the black block 12.? you have. extractors "may" need modifying, depending on style. some fit no worries, just closer to the floor than it preferable. i was going to use a c6, with the x member on the rear most set of bolt holes, it would have fit. the tail shaft was shortened. as i am not doing this anymore, i have the engine mounts, engine brackets, built up c6 and tailshaft for sale. pm for details.

#13 ·
thanks for the info mate. ill pm you about a few things.
As for shortening the tailshaft will i need to do this on mine? as i thought the block would sit the same as a clevo in the engine bay and not put the gearbox further back?
would it be worth goin auto? i am very keen to keep a manual, and can i get away with a top loader and f100 big block bellhousing?

#14 ·
xeturbo said:
As for shortening the tailshaft will i need to do this on mine? as i thought the block would sit the same as a clevo in the engine bay and not put the gearbox further back?
my brackets sit the motor slightly lower, and slightly rearward, for better weight distribution. they come undrilled, so you sit the motor and box in the engine bay, with the auto bolted to the x member, and drill the holes thru. my c6 is longer than the standard auto, so it needs the shorter shaft.

xeturbo said:
would it be worth goin auto? i am very keen to keep a manual, and can i get away with a top loader and f100 big block bellhousing?
it's up to you, i hate manuals. big block bellhousings are relatively rare/exxy, but are available. should do what you need.

#15 ·
Hello xeturbo.
Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you with a reply.
I reckon you could get away passing the motor off as a 351 Cleveland. To all, but a trained eye, the motors will look similar. The only problem is the block number will need to be recorded. I guess you could say it was an imported block, hence the different numbers. You are not exactly telling lies!
Fitting up the block into an xd/xe is going to be a learning process. Thankfully, Crushu FI50 has given some great advice.
I am going to do it differently. I have a beefed-up AOD. This will give me the option of overdrive. Problem is the AOD was never designed to fit behind a big block. Will order an adapter plate from Lentech automatics which will enable the AOD to be fitted to the 400 Cleveland. The tranny rebuilder can then fit a shaft to suit.
Provided I go a bit easier on the 400 Cleveand the AOD should survive!
Cheers
Craig

#16 ·
good luck with the AOD. the main visible difference is the "rib" from the valley to the front of the block, above the water pump. i was going to use this motor in my coupe, which was a 302. i was going to destroy the 302, and stamp the numbers into the 400. i was going to machine off that "rib".i doubt anyone would notice, and then i would have a "p" plate friendly 400 ;)

#17 ·
got to love tricks of the trade!
my local mechanic here who does the rego checks wouldnt know a holden motor from a ford engine, and i am pretty good mates with him, last time i got it inspected he asked me what it was wrote it down and didnt even check it.

im sure this engine will be a great learning tool for me, and im sure it wont be smooth sailing, but for the horsepower per dollar situation i cant look past it.
but at the end of the day i should have myself some serious wheel spinin power! and something a bit different to everyone elses 351 clevo.
thanks for your help, look forward to hearing more from you

#18 ·
Hello again xeturbo.
Another modification worth doing, especially for lpg, is to change the cam. The 400 Cleveland had to face tougher emission controls in the 1970's. This resulted in the cam being retarded 4-6 degrees I believe. A cam with longer duration on the exhaust side and readjusted timing would help considerably.
Does anyone have some advice on this? I am no expert on lpg, other than what is on my 351 Cleveland now; gas heads, Gas Research system, lpg cam, Weiand X-celerator intake manifold, recurved distributor and lukey extractors.
Have read about using different pistons to raise compression. I will leave that part alone and be content with a motor that is set up to handle lpg better. Maybe later down the track I will upgrade.
Cheers
Craig

#20 ·
use what ever cam you would use in a low comp clevo, but 1 or 2 sizes up. use at least semi dished pistons, as they are about 8-1 comp standard, with open heads.

MLS: you will need to change your gearbox and mounts for the 400.

#21 ·
this engine has dished pistons running 302 heads with hardened valves thingys, the whole bottom end has been balanced, and is in very good condition. it has just been bored out 40 thou and you can still see all the hone marks, just needs putting back together, the cam i have opted for is the comcams 725deh http://www.compcams.com/Technical/CurrentCatalog/HTML/92-97.asp

in the dual energy range. im hoping to get decent power gains with this setup as it was pumping out some decent power before it got honed and pulled apart. i also have with it new bearings, rings and it has arp bolts in the bottom end, so hopefully it should be strong motor with a bit of power.
well thats the idea anyway
cheers john

#22 ·
Hello xeturbo.
Your motor sounds brilliant! A US web site http://www.off-road.com/ford/flashback/400_power.html discusses how to get more performance from the 400 Cleveland. They mention about using closed chamber 2V heads (I assume 302 heads, rightly or wrongly). An alternative to the 302 heads was to use flat top or domed pistons: using existing 351 Cleveland pistons with bushed connecting rods was also discussed.
All the choices to make. This is becoming great fun!
Cheers
Craig

#23 ·
yeah its starting to look like a healthy engine. but before i start to assemble it i would like to learn as much as possible, to hopefully get some decent power gains out of it!
thanks very much for all of your help so far, as it hasd been very beneficial for me.

#25 ·
Thanks Gregaust for pointing out a potential problem. Too much compression, so easily achieved with so few modifications, is something I ignored initially in reading the literature on 400 Clevelands. I believe you can run higher compression with lpg-although I have no idea how high you can go?
I have another question related to the 400 Cleveland. Where can I get the Weiand spacers so the Weiand X-celerator inlet manifold can be adapted to the 400 Cleveland? I think the part is Spacer kit Ford 351C to 400 PN. 8205? I've had trouble finding anyone who stocks it?
Thanks again for the great advice.
Cheers
Craig

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.