400m Rebuild Advice - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 04:37   #1 (permalink)

400m Rebuild Advice

Hey,
New at this but I've got a 400m that I'm planning to rebuild. I have seen the same engine on ebay and rebuilds with 500+hp and 560+fp and want to do the same with mine without forced induction. I have had Edelbrock recommended to me but I want good low/mid end power rather than higher range so I need more advice. Any detailed lists of exactly what I need would be appreciated.Auto trans as well but planning to replace/rebuild
on ebay under tuff dawg(408 stroker)
thanks
lindenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 13:35   #2 (permalink)

Re: 400m Rebuild Advice

Technicly the "M" designation is used with the 351 version only. 400s been featured in a number of engine challenge builds. Edelbrock or CHI heads, roller cams ect. Hot Rod did a build a few years ago with an offset ground crank, Chevy rods & 340 Mopar pistons. Couple good threads on the HAMB.
George1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:12   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by George1861 View Post
Technicly the "M" designation is used with the 351 version only. 400s been featured in a number of engine challenge builds. Edelbrock or CHI heads, roller cams ect. Hot Rod did a build a few years ago with an offset ground crank, Chevy rods & 340 Mopar pistons. Couple good threads on the HAMB.
Thanks for that.ill look into it
lindenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 21:36   #4 (permalink)

I don't know how much help I'll be but I'll tell you what I know. I helped my dad overhaul a 400 from his 1978 Ford F-350. The truck only had 35,000 miles on it but he bought a fifth wheel trailer and wanted some extra torque to drag it around. He did an RV2 (generic term I know but I don't know the specs) cam, Edelbrock SP2P aluminum intake, recurved distributor, mild porting of stock heads, retuned Holley carb. He left the lower end alone other than replacing the bearings. It made quite an improvement in towing capability and it made the engine very responsive. The issues we had were that the engine was tough to keep cool and it was tough on main bearings. After around 85,000 miles on the truck (only 50,000 on the overhauled engine) the bearing started to go and it would lose oil pressure on a hard sustained pull. I put new rod & main bearings in it at that time but replaced the engine with a 460 at the 110,000 mile mark. The 460 is better suited for the heavy duty work I need.

Hope that helps a little.

Ron
Rlzegers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:25   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlzegers View Post
I don't know how much help I'll be but I'll tell you what I know. I helped my dad overhaul a 400 from his 1978 Ford F-350. The truck only had 35,000 miles on it but he bought a fifth wheel trailer and wanted some extra torque to drag it around. He did an RV2 (generic term I know but I don't know the specs) cam, Edelbrock SP2P aluminum intake, recurved distributor, mild porting of stock heads, retuned Holley carb. He left the lower end alone other than replacing the bearings. It made quite an improvement in towing capability and it made the engine very responsive. The issues we had were that the engine was tough to keep cool and it was tough on main bearings. After around 85,000 miles on the truck (only 50,000 on the overhauled engine) the bearing started to go and it would lose oil pressure on a hard sustained pull. I put new rod & main bearings in it at that time but replaced the engine with a 460 at the 110,000 mile mark. The 460 is better suited for the heavy duty work I need.

Hope that helps a little.

Ron
Sounds like you should have had the block align bored, eating mains isn't normal. SP2P hasn't been around in a long time, Performer would be the current intake. A good aftermarket timing set is important as they came with retarded timing.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:54   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Sounds like you should have had the block align bored, eating mains isn't normal. SP2P hasn't been around in a long time, Performer would be the current intake. A good aftermarket timing set is important as they came with retarded timing.
We did do the new straight-up timing set of course. Forgot to mention it. The old SP2P was good for low end but pretty worthless for higher RPMs. They haven't made them for several years. The non-RPM Performer I think would be the best choice for the low and mid-range desired.

Unfortunately some 400s had problems with main bearings and overheating as well. I think that's one of the reasons why they ran higher oil pressure from the factory, the oiling systems weren't the best. I know of two others that had the same kind of problems I had.

If swapping out the 400 for a 460 is an option, I'd consider it. The tranny will bolt right up and there are swap engine mounts available everywhere. Even the distributor is the same. Exhaust is different and some of the brackets and pulleys are different too. There are swap kits available if the budget permits but they can be expensive. It's not too tough to piece-meal it yourself like I did. I'm not trying to talk you out of the 400, just pointing out another option.

Good luck.

Ron
Old 07-03-2010, 13:56   #7 (permalink)

"The experts" tend to say that high pressure oil pumps don't help & may add to cooling problems with bearings. High volume would seem to be better, but there have been opinions, @ least on Cs, that there is a danger of pumping the sump dry on long distance drives. I've run them with out problems. I did strip the dizzy drive gear on an aftermarket cam in a C, next one I do I'm going to drill an .050 hole in the oil gallery plug by the dizzy.
Old 07-03-2010, 15:54   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
"The experts" tend to say that high pressure oil pumps don't help & may add to cooling problems with bearings. High volume would seem to be better, but there have been opinions, @ least on Cs, that there is a danger of pumping the sump dry on long distance drives. I've run them with out problems. I did strip the dizzy drive gear on an aftermarket cam in a C, next one I do I'm going to drill an .050 hole in the oil gallery plug by the dizzy.
I ran a HV pump as well after I put bearings in it and never had any problems running the sump dry either. Your oil mod certainly can't hurt. I've heard of guys with 460s doing that although that's usually reserved for higher performance applicatons I guess. I didn't on my 460. I guess I'll find out if I should have......

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech