408 burning oil? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 07:02   #1 (permalink)

408 burning oil?

Has anyone had the same problem i've been having?We built a 408 stroker which has 4v afd alloy heads ,650'' lift mech.cam,oil restrictor kit...the usual 408setup..with tfc manifold and 950 holley.When we first started the car and took it out to run it in we noticed some oil burning but thought it would stop once we ran it in.....unfortunately it didn't.First thought was rings...when pcv pulled out nothing coming out of rocker cover.Any way took carby off and looked down manifold runners to see about half a teaspoon of oil on top of closed inlet valve.took manifold off thinking it was inlet gasket not sealing ...anyway after sorting what we thought was the problem ,fired it up and it looked good for about 2-3minutes then it started to smoke again...took the carby off again looked down the ports and it's the same problem with heaps of oil inside the ports......has anyone got suggestions of were it could be coming from?could it leak through the roller rocker pedestal studs.The heads are brand new..as all the parts.Apart from the smoke the motor pulls very hard.....my mate who had a esp running 11.7s..took it for a run and said it makes his feel like a grandma's car...so i wouldn't think it was a ring problem...i could be wrong.
xbgt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2008, 20:49   #2 (permalink)

Re: 408 burning oil?

if that engine has oil in some of the ports then you obviously have a leak somewhere.
Are all of the ports leaking or just some??
Some of the rocker studs protrude thru on to the intake port side on AFD's.
Are you drawing oil thru there??
You should put some sealer under the threads first.
Is there a misalignment between the head face and manifold face that might be the cause of your problems. Have a look and make sure all the surfaces are parallel.
You should not have a pcv v alve on an engine like that as well. You should have a breather setup with 2 -12 hoses plumbed into the rockers.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:09   #3 (permalink)

thanks for your imput russxr.....all of the ports have oil...i've had the manifold on and off about 6times and have checked out the faces...i went from the standard 4v gaskets which are about .032 thou...down to .008 thou with gasket eliminator on the faces.I have just taken the manifold off again and it appears to be a good seal around the ports.I have just started to take out the rocker studs to check if there is oil seepage...i did use teflon sealant on the threads.What has me stumped is for that much oil you would think it would be obvious...as you probably know sometimes you end up with tunnel vision and don't look ..for the obvious.What do you mean by two breather hoses?I will also have another look at the manifold for true...any suggestions on types of gaskets?
Old 07-28-2008, 01:35   #4 (permalink)

I have a 408 with 2V AFD heads and dont have any problems with mine.
It could only be the rocker studs, manifold leaking of valve stem seals or excessive stem to guide where it could get in. That just about covers it unless the rings just did'nt bed in. Do you get blowby from your breathers on the rocker covers/dipstick?
Old 07-28-2008, 17:39   #5 (permalink)

These are brand new 4v fully ported heads....so i think the seals and guides are good....pulling out the stud s at the moment to check them out also taking the tfc manifold to a machine shop to make sure ''v'' is correct angle and parallel.There is no blow back from dipstick or rocker cover....the usual whisper of fumes.thanks for your input.
Old 07-29-2008, 00:28   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgt74 View Post
also taking the tfc manifold to a machine shop to make sure ''v'' is correct angle and parallel
without the block and heads, no one will be able to tell if the manifold alone is fine. Its very easy to see if it has been pulling oil past the bottoms of the gaskets when you take off the manifold.
Old 07-29-2008, 20:20   #7 (permalink)

10.70@125...out of the 408...i like that.The studs all look good ....put flexi-gauge under manifold without gasket...(it's like soft lead)tightened manifold down face to face...and it's showing slight gap at bottom on one side and gap at top on other....looks like the manifold is out from TFC....it would be good to get it going for a few runs down the track..
Old 07-30-2008, 03:35   #8 (permalink)

I would bet my bottom dollar it is pulling oil in thru the intake if all the ports have oil.
i use black rtv sealant on manifold to head gaskets.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:01   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgt74 View Post
10.70@125...out of the 408...i like that..
Thanks mate. I have left it more street than strip as i race once a year, but now with no cage and all, its only street.
Got any other specs on you combo/car? Sounds nice with them heads.

Is the cam the compcams one TFC recommend, 262/262 duration, 308R?
Old 07-30-2008, 20:00   #10 (permalink)

mine is a street car...just go to the drags now and then.it's an xbgt with stock fmx..3.7 ..9''rear end.crane ignition.the cam is a custom grind 275 deg. @ .050. 660lift.solid. slightly bigger than your cam...good to see how it will go....with the old gt motor(which is out of the car)it would run low 13's...not bad for a heavy car.it also has a 4200rpm dominator stall.cam makes power from4000 to 7200 rpm...but wouldn't push it past 6500 as being a 408..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech