408 stroker - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2005, 05:27   #1 (permalink)

Question 408 stroker

can any of you guys tell me what it is like i do a fair bit of towing i was thinking of a 302 and putting a 408 kit in it with pro comp alum heads and run it on lpg
ford2drs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2005, 05:38   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: 408 stroker

Drive around with a 302 towing and fit a 351. The difference is substancial. The 408 would have the same feel as going from a 302->351 when coming from a 351. With a 408 you wouldn't know what hit you. The torque increase would be just nice for towing @ low rpm.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:46   #3 (permalink)

are you talking about a windor or cleveland cos i dont think pro comp make heads for a cleveland just windsors
D-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 04:57   #4 (permalink)

do you already have the heads, what sort of car? if you are just going to tow with it? if so go the cubes but i wouldnt spend the extra on heads a good set of std heads with a little clean up would be fine as you will want low down torque anyhow. or do you have other plans for it as well?
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 05:28   #5 (permalink)

no i havent brought the heads yet was looking in the just parts magazine page 261 and seen them there the add does not say if they will fit cleveland just sbf the motor is going into a zg fairlane for a year or 2 then into a xc coupe and that will be my play toy
Old 10-01-2005, 12:57   #6 (permalink)

What are you towing? Weight/size wise?

A 351 Cleveland makes a great tow engine and these additions help:-
a small cam - I found about 2nd or 3rd smallest, plenty of torque, more power through whole rev range and an increase of 2 - 4 mpg.

Tri Y headers or similar - whatever design they are, small tubes.
Dual plane manifold - alloy if available to help shed heat.
600 v.s. Holley.
If auto, good convertor (11") and shift kit. Good sized trans cooler.
Good radiator system, maybe 2 elec. fans - never needed them but could be handy.
Small port stock heads would be fine (not 4v).

A mate has a F100 for towing ski boat. Used to have a mild 351, cam manifold, headers.
He put in a mild 460 and increased fuel economy and suffered less stress on highway.
The last bit might sound silly but you will have been in the situation where you go to pass a car and the d/head doesn't want you to overtake so he speeds up when you're beside him so you have to go back in behind him.

I've spent a lot of time in underpowered tow cars and overweight trailers with no brakes in the early days and it makes good trips not so enjoyable.
They guzzle fuel, won't even hold 100 kmh into wind and you can't overtake.

I would have given my eye teeth to have a stroked 351 to tow with.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 06:09   #7 (permalink)

at the moment the zg tows around my john goss special plus other xb & xc fords i buy for parts i thought of a 460 even brought a lot of parts for a 460 including a 514 stoker kit (which is now sold ) but after talking to one of my mates and all the trouble he had with the cops with his big block i change my mind and beside towing i do like to have a bit of fun also thank u for your advice on the gear box
Old 10-03-2005, 00:34   #8 (permalink)

No probs ford2drs,

I wasn't saying a 460 would be good for your car or situation. It was just an example of what a bit of torque can do for your tripping about when towing.

I should have written it a bit better.

Hope it's some help anyway.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech