408 Stroker vs AFD 4V alloys. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2004, 05:14   #1 (permalink)
351 XE on LPG

408 Stroker vs AFD 4V alloys.

I attended the East Coast Nats at the WSID and was very impressed by some very fast Clevelands running standard strokes, (especially a purple XE that was very clean and running 10s). I also had a serious look at some beautiful AFD alloy heads (2V and 4V) and spoke with the guy at the trade stand on at least 4 occasions. He's also convinced me to give up stuffing around with lifter preloads and go solid.

Up till now Iíve always planned a 408 stroker conversion for my mild 351, but am now seriously considering leaving the stroke standard (which will also give me a freer revving motor as opposed to a 408), and instead spend the money on a set of AFD 4Vs and build the motor to survive regular 7000 rpm quarter mile runs.

Dollar for dollar there doesnít seem to be much between the two roads. Which path should I take (and why).
Rhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2004, 14:51   #2 (permalink)
Boost Is for Pussies

Re: 408 Stroker vs AFD 4V alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett
I attended the East Coast Nats at the WSID and was very impressed by some very fast Clevelands running standard strokes, (especially a purple XE that was very clean and running 10s). I also had a serious look at some beautiful AFD alloy heads (2V and 4V) and spoke with the guy at the trade stand on at least 4 occasions. He's also convinced me to give up stuffing around with lifter preloads and go solid.

Up till now Iíve always planned a 408 stroker conversion for my mild 351, but am now seriously considering leaving the stroke standard (which will also give me a freer revving motor as opposed to a 408), and instead spend the money on a set of AFD 4Vs and build the motor to survive regular 7000 rpm quarter mile runs.

Dollar for dollar there doesnít seem to be much between the two roads. Which path should I take (and why).
CHI!
GammaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 15:24   #3 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

You have to decide whether you want a high hp engine that doesn't rev past 6500rpm or a moderately high hp engine that can rev it's ringer out.

Durability I say stroker. Stroker will make bucket loads more hp and torque @ the same rpm ie 6000-6500rpm. Lower rpm = less wear and tear.

In regards to durability of a stock stroke motor. I aren't saying it's not reliable. It just rev's A LOT! Why rev it if you don't have to?

Let your wallet decide. If you can't afford a stroker? Go alloys and stock stroke. If you can? Go the 408 with the alloys I always let my wallet decide what I am doing. It helps having all those dustmites assisting me with decisions

Brenden
Old 10-13-2004, 15:53   #4 (permalink)
351 XE on LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaBoy
CHI!
Why do you recon CHIs are better then AFDs ?????
Old 10-13-2004, 16:02   #5 (permalink)
351 XE on LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
You have to decide whether you want a high hp engine that doesn't rev past 6500rpm or a moderately high hp engine that can rev it's ringer out.

Durability I say stroker. Stroker will make bucket loads more hp and torque @ the same rpm ie 6000-6500rpm. Lower rpm = less wear and tear.

In regards to durability of a stock stroke motor. I aren't saying it's not reliable. It just rev's A LOT! Why rev it if you don't have to?

Let your wallet decide. If you can't afford a stroker? Go alloys and stock stroke. If you can? Go the 408 with the alloys I always let my wallet decide what I am doing. It helps having all those dustmites assisting me with decisions

Brenden
So are you saying that a stroker without alloys isn't as good as a 351 with alloys. I agree, if I had the cash now I'd do both together. To get more performance for my buck should I . . .

PLAN A

stage 1 351 with alloys
stage 2 later on convert 351 to 408 stroker

OR

PLAN B

stage 1 convert 351 to 408 stroker with std 4V iron heads
stage 2 later on add alloys

The problem I see with Plan B is the money wasted doing up the iron heads.
Old 10-13-2004, 16:19   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

I'm currently enjoying plan A myself. I'd recommend that one. Wasting $ on cast iron heads isn't good.

Brenden
Old 10-13-2004, 16:40   #7 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

I'm with Brenden, stage 1 of plan A looks great.

I wouldn't bother with the 408 stroker at all, I'm not much of a fan for strokers, particularly with an engine the size of a Clevo anyway.

It's not like the Clevo is short of cubes, and the extra load on bores and the high piston speeds turns me right off them.

Built properly, a standard stroke 351 will rev to 7000rpm all day every day. Though reality is you'll rarely see those rpms on the road anyway.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 18:09   #8 (permalink)

I'd go plan B myself. Get the bottom end all sorted the way you want it now and you shouldn't have to look at it again. New heads can just be bolted on later without pulling the motor.
Old 10-13-2004, 19:37   #9 (permalink)
Boost Is for Pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett
Why do you recon CHIs are better then AFDs ?????
Cos CHI heads were used by the guy who won Engine masters (John Kaase, 699hp@6500rpm from a 408 clevo stroker. XE block if you don't mind!), along with 2 other competitors (one "boss 302" with a big crank shoehorned in, one on a 351C block (650hp @ 6500)). One using filled Iron 4Vs. One with Blue Thunders. No competitors I know of using AFDs
Also have heard rumours of AFDs not quite being up to the CHIs in performance terms....
Oh. and I've got a set on order... :D
Go Plan A :D

Ben
GammaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 20:07   #10 (permalink)
BLOWNXD

cool Re: 408 Stroker vs AFD 4V alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaBoy
Cos CHI heads were used by the guy who won Engine masters (John Kaase, 699hp@6500rpm from a 408 clevo stroker. XE block if you don't mind!), along with 2 other competitors (one "boss 302" with a big crank shoehorned in, one on a 351C block (650hp @ 6500)). One using filled Iron 4Vs. One with Blue Thunders. No competitors I know of using AFDs
Also have heard rumours of AFDs not quite being up to the CHIs in performance terms....
Oh. and I've got a set on order... :D
Go Plan A :D

Ben
Im with you ive got a set of 3v alloy CHI heads on top of a 408 stroker and couldnt be happier it revs clean never plays up (the engine that is) runs cool as never had to turn the thermos on yet and with a baby roller cam and 11.1 comprssion has created 459rwhp and 530fwtq on pump fuel at 5600rpm cant go past a stroker or those CHI heads.:)
XD408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech