4V heads - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2005, 03:03   #1 (permalink)

4V heads

Gday,

I got a set of 4V heads that are a bit dirty but I want to put them on. I have Stainless steal single piece valves, SS colets and retainers and new roller rockers are on the way. Now I want to clean them up. So far I have used oven cleaner to get rid of all the grime and oil on them, and within the next week I will get seating goo and test whether or not the valves seat right. My question is can I just wack on the set of new stem seals I got with my flepro gasket kit, or do I have to do something special??

Valves and stems and seats all look ok, and the heads came off a running engine (a while back) so i am hoping there wont be any machining involved.

Cheers for all your help

-Chris
Rat460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2005, 03:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: 4V heads

Depends on how good you want them to look as well as and more importantly, how reliable you want them to be. That is, it would be a smart move to get them acid dipped and then pressure tested for cracks.

You may not need nor want to do this, but the time is definitely now as compared to going to all of the effort of cleaning them yourself, putting them on and to have them spring a leak or look shithouse (paint wont stick) if you didn't prep them well enough.

Simply put, all depends on what you want out of the engine/car. Lastly, are the 4 dot 4V's or the older straight 4V's?

Paul
paull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 05:00   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply paul. I was actually after what to do with the valve stem seals mostly, as they are my main concern at the moment.

Unfortunately I am taking the cheap and nasty route at the moment because of cash constraints. So probably no acid dipping or crack testing for me. I as long as I get these valve stem seals right, I was just going to slap the buggers on and see how it goes. If I have a prob, well then they will probably have to come off, and the poor falcon will be garaged until I can fix the heads properly.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:26   #4 (permalink)

If cash is a problem then you should be OK.

The fact that you know the heads came off a running engine eases the uncertainty of knowing what condition they are in.

I've done valve stem seal changes on my own heads and just slapped them in. Shouldn't be any major rocket science checks/procedures required.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:45   #5 (permalink)

I just might do that Tru Blu, whack em on and go. Cheers!

The heads originally came off a strip car that ran flat 10's. The bloke I bought them off is a copper who ran mid 11's with them on his XY. He got rid of them because he bought more streetable ported 2Vs, and proceeded to tone down the XY for more daily driving. So I am pretty confident that they will do the job
Old 04-10-2005, 06:22   #6 (permalink)

What other specs are you running? cam/carby/manifold/exhaust/diff gears?
Old 04-10-2005, 07:02   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat460
I just might do that Tru Blu, whack em on and go. Cheers!

The heads originally came off a strip car that ran flat 10's. The bloke I bought them off is a copper who ran mid 11's with them on his XY. He got rid of them because he bought more streetable ported 2Vs, and proceeded to tone down the XY for more daily driving. So I am pretty confident that they will do the job
You may need to check if you do have the umbrella style seals that come in the felpro set. If they were off a drag car, it will most likely have double springs with dampner. If so, it will probably have the teflon small diameter seals. Look through the springs on your heads to see.
If so, it will most likely be machined for screw in studs ect.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:46   #8 (permalink)

Tru Blu -

I have a 750 DP with a CHI manifold machined to suit 4Vs and 1 inch "Super sucker" spacer, some huge custom Waggart cam (from when I bought the car), 1 7/8 primary 4into1, 3.5 inch collector with 3 inch dual system, toploader and 4.11 diff gears. I have c4 and dominator 4k rpm converter to put in later this year, looking forward to that.

XdClevo -

Yeah the heads are machined for stud mounted roller rockers. I think I have double springs with dampners from memory. Maybe its only single springs? But definately with dampners. I have new felpro fat umbrella stem seals, but I guess they wont fit. I'll have to check that.

Cheers for all the interest fellas.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:48   #9 (permalink)

So I think u are sayin the 4V heads are complete and u are buying new Roller Rockers.
Or u have S/S One Piece Valves, S/S colets and Retainers and will put them into the heads which means u need to lap the valve to the seats or get a 3 angle valve job and then fit the New Roller Rockers which are on the way ???
I'm confused and will b confusing everyone else her !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech