4V heads, worth it? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2005, 02:26   #1 (permalink)

4V heads, worth it?

Hey Guys,

Ive got a 2V 351, rebuilt about 8,000km ago, and its putting out 200rwhp using a single Gas Research S440 carb.

Ive got a tremec 5 speed, and a 9" (which is going in next week), and im looking to build another motor and then install it within the next 6 months.

Are 4V heads really worth while? Ive done a search, and those who have them rave about them, those without say they're overpriced, and 2V (or "3V") can do the same job in most applications.

Im looking to build a motor that will be driven 3 or so days a week, be able to run into the 12's, whilst remaining reliable (to an extent anyway lol).

I also plan to keep running LPG, but go a twin Gas Research, or twin Impco carb/convertor setup.

Anyone got any suggestions as far as the heads go, i can pick up some 4V heads that have never been touched, off a 100,000km engine for about $700. A motor that needs a rebuild can be had for $250, reground crank, forged bottom end, and decent cam are all on the agenda- anyone got suggestions/experience when it comes to cam selection with LPG?

Thanks guys,

Glenn
Sleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2005, 02:41   #2 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

Re: 4V heads, worth it?

If i was in your position, i would look closely at the CHI 2V's, your existing exhaust and inlet manifolds will bolt straight up to them saving $ converting to 4V's, they can take higher comp for lpg than the irons and will probly cost around the same as irons would after they have been worked to match the existing flow and valve train of the off shelf CHI's.

http://www.chiheads.com/heads_10.html
Old 06-22-2005, 04:39   #3 (permalink)

With GRA system get a custom cam from Wade camshafts, they have worked a lot with GRA when they were testing those carbs. More exhaust duration helps more LPG to be pulled in or something like that, best talk to them, ask who they know that has done good gas motors, the old fella there is full of advice and was willing to help when I talked to him.

Don't waste the money on old irons, best get some alloys, CHI's are around 3K which is hard to beat considering what you get.
LTD351V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 05:12   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Have a read of these articles -:

http://www.kec.com.au/docs/articles/article_0026.htm
http://www.kec.com.au/docs/articles/article_0027.htm
http://www.kec.com.au/docs/articles/article_0028.htm
Old 06-22-2005, 05:21   #5 (permalink)

Its interesting the cross section sizes they come up with 2v and 3v??
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 05:35   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdclevo
Its interesting the cross section sizes they come up with 2v and 3v??
It is weird considering they quote "2.36" on the other article.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:39   #7 (permalink)
The SB Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleek
Hey Guys,

Ive got a 2V 351, rebuilt about 8,000km ago, and its putting out 200rwhp using a single Gas Research S440 carb.

Ive got a tremec 5 speed, and a 9" (which is going in next week), and im looking to build another motor and then install it within the next 6 months.

Are 4V heads really worth while? Ive done a search, and those who have them rave about them, those without say they're overpriced, and 2V (or "3V") can do the same job in most applications.

Im looking to build a motor that will be driven 3 or so days a week, be able to run into the 12's, whilst remaining reliable (to an extent anyway lol).

I also plan to keep running LPG, but go a twin Gas Research, or twin Impco carb/convertor setup.

Anyone got any suggestions as far as the heads go, i can pick up some 4V heads that have never been touched, off a 100,000km engine for about $700. A motor that needs a rebuild can be had for $250, reground crank, forged bottom end, and decent cam are all on the agenda- anyone got suggestions/experience when it comes to cam selection with LPG?

Thanks guys,

Glenn
Go the 3v alloys.I have the cast iron 4v heads with the port fillers and for the price of doing this mod the alloys will work out cheaper and will work better out of the box.

Introducing the Boss 290 powerplant
The Boss 290 combines the best of both worlds, with race-bred power and everyday comfort. The awe-inspiring Boss 290 is a powerplant unlike any ever built in this country and comes to life on Australia's only current V8 production line.
FPVGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 05:45   #8 (permalink)

3.75" stroke on the 3v's, 245@50thou with .680 lift, 10.58:1 comp vs an obviously very tame 9.5:1 4v. This proves what exactly?
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 05:49   #9 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfords
3.75" stroke on the 3v's, 245@50thou with .680 lift, 10.58:1 comp vs an obviously very tame 9.5:1 4v. This proves what exactly?
Got me stuffed also. Can't see why they couldn't do a back to back like I did.

2V = 230rwkw
3V 218cc = 279rwkw

Nothing changed but heads. Even ran the same springs/manifold and carb etc.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:52   #10 (permalink)

did you change cams and what cc's were your old heads
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech