73 Mach Q Code rebuild - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 22:43   #1 (permalink)

73 Mach Q Code rebuild

I need some opinions on parts that I have selected for my project. This is what I plan to build out and have started to get the parts. To keep the car matching numbers I am starting with components that I have found and keeping the original motor stock. Here are my plans:
71 351C 4 bolt main block and crank (Acquired this already)
71 351C 62cc Boss heads 4V (Acquired this already)
Blue Thunder Manifold - idle to 6500 rpm (Acquired this already)
Comp Cams Magnum Hydraulic roller 290HR cam kit (K32-541-8)
Comp Cams Roller rockers
KB 148 Pistons 13cc (I believe this will yield 10:1)
Eagle H beam connecting rods stock length
FAST EZ EFI for carburation
Hooker super comp headers through 2.5in exhaust
MSD ignition (8580 distributor, 6AL ignition box)

Does anyone see any possible compatibility problems that I may have with the parts I plan on using? I want to be able to use pump gas with this setup. I am also using larger oil pan, HV oil pumps etc to go along with the increased HP output.

This is going to go on a Coan C6 with their 3500 stall converter and Gear Vendors overdrive. Rear is 9 inch Possi with 3.89 gearing. Weight of car is 3500 lbs using the original rims/tire combo (F70-14)

Thx in advance for your help.
jbojo
jbojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2010, 16:23   #2 (permalink)

Re: 73 Mach Q Code rebuild

Are you driving this on the street ? Where are you going to get pump gas for 10.1 ?
I hope 3500 stall in not on the street. You might have a problem.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 17:11   #3 (permalink)

Chipset,
Thx you for your questions, this is a learning curve for me and I want to try to get it right the first time.

Yes, I plan to drive it on the street but not an everyday driver though. Won't 91 octane unleaded on a 10:1 (actually calculates out to around 9.8:1) compression engine be sufficient? It will have EFI fuel delivery so I thought that the fuel delivery would be more precise and with quench heads the detonation is not as much an isssue as with open chambered ones.

For the stall, Coan recommended a 3000 to 3500 stall converter so I will have to rethink the upper limits then. What are the concerns with the 3500 stall speed?

I plan to drive on the freeway so that's why I opted for overdrive with this setup. The 3.89 rear will be equivalent to 3.04 in overdrive.

I am trying to get all the input from everyones experiences as what appears to me should work on paper may be just the opposite. Don't want to buy parts needlessly.
thx again,
jbojo
Old 12-02-2010, 10:34   #4 (permalink)
Mustang Fanatic

I built a similar set-up on a 73 coupe, only Carbureted with a 650 double pumper and it really worked nice.
Go with the lower 3,000 stall converter. Mine was more in the range of 2800.
With that rear gear, and that stall converter you have no hope of those stock size rear tires ever hooking up....
I had H70's and I turned a 12.9 time, as it wouldn't hook up.
Same setup only with Drag slicks on the car 12.2
I put a manual valve body in the tranny so you have more gear control. sometimes you don't want it dropping down unexpectedly on the street.... as in "Yikes " !

I would also consider installing a Rev Limiter. I puked 2 motors when the tranny let go during a high rpm shift... and I watched the Tach hit 9,000rpm.... **POOF** that was expensive !
It's good insurance.

Have fun
Mach1steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 18:24   #5 (permalink)

On the KB pistons, it says 13CC, is that a dish piston? the 71 M code was 10.7 with flat tops & the BOSS351 was 11.7(don't know if FT or domed) Wondering how you figured 10.1 On my 71 M code I had to retard ir a little with 91-93 oct.
George1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 21:34   #6 (permalink)

I used the compression calculator tool on the KB Piston web page to figure out the compression ratio. This is a dish piston I am planning on using.

The car that this is going in is a 73 Mach with the 351CJ engine. Initially my plans were to just rebuild that engine (51,000 miles on it) to keep it numbers matching but then decided to just build out a second more performance oriented engine and started acquiring the parts I needed. I went with the dish pistons because for 10:1 so that 91 octane gas would work. I figured this new engine combo would be a vast improvement than what this car orriginally came with.

After more thought I decided to replace the F70 x 14 wheels with 15x8 with 255 60 series TA's on the rear and 225 or 235 60's on the front.

This car will never see the strip so I am not too concerned with the tires hooking up or what the qtr mile time will be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech