830 Annular discharge V 750 HP - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2005, 00:45   #1 (permalink)
Approach with caution.

830 Annular discharge V 750 HP

Whats everyone's opinion on the 830 annular discharge V the 750 HP holleys for a street driven manual trans/iron 4V headed clevo with F246 cam?
I keep hearing the 830 provides better throttle response for manual trans/4V set-ups. True or false?
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2005, 01:05   #2 (permalink)

Re: 830 Annular discharge V 750 HP

I can't see why the 750HP wouldn't give good respone. If its tuned right along with good intial timing, they give great response.

The HP series are both a good street and race carb.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:08   #3 (permalink)

Had both and wont be going back to the 830. The 750 is a great carb.
CRUISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 01:34   #4 (permalink)

I have used both these carbs on the quarter mile. The 750 hp is far superior than the 830 annular. The annular lost power up top real bad.
crochunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 01:40   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crochunter
I have used both these carbs on the quarter mile. The 750 hp is far superior than the 830 annular. The annular lost power up top real bad.
What did u run the 10.50 with?
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 01:43   #6 (permalink)
Approach with caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crochunter
ok, but topend doesn't allways make a good street engine, throttle response is an important trait in a street/curcuit car.
Sometimes i think we become over fixated with 1/4 mile activity and times, id prefer my motor to be a better street/curcuit weapon that 1/4 mile weapon.
What was the 830 annular designed for in the first place? what characteristics does it have??
Old 08-30-2005, 01:46   #7 (permalink)

10.5 with a 750 hp
crochunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 01:56   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
ok, but topend doesn't allways make a good street engine, throttle response is an important trait in a street/curcuit car.
Yeah, but what croc is saying is the 750 was better than the 830, including top end, out of a "smaller" carby. Can't argue with that. The bigger may make more peak horsepower(brenx), but not neccessarily quicker.
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:28   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Sometimes i think we become over fixated with 1/4 mile activity and times, id prefer my motor to be a better street/curcuit weapon that 1/4 mile weapon.
What was the 830 annular designed for in the first place? what characteristics does it have??
The best solution here lies not in the carb but rather in the head itself. 4v,s make a great race head with their huge port volumes and large x section but the tradeoff on a street engine usually means a lack of low end grunt. What is needed here is a set of tongues in the intake tract of the head to increase velocities which equates to better cylinder filling at lower rpm . This is a cheap fix as well.
The annular boosters will more than likely atomise the fuel better and perhaps in a 4v engine provide better drivabilty. Rather than the conventional booster, which has a single opening ,annular boosters have a series of smaller holes instead and these are said to be far more sensitive particularly with low manifold vacuums which is right in 4v territory. Again,there seems to be a trade off ,as the annular booster becomes more restricted as rpms rise and the conventional booster seems better suited to high rpm work.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:32   #10 (permalink)
Approach with caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russxr67
The best solution here lies not in the carb but rather in the head itself. 4v,s make a great race head with their huge port volumes and large x section but the tradeoff on a street engine usually means a lack of low end grunt. What is needed here is a set of tongues in the intake tract of the head to increase velocities which equates to better cylinder filling at lower rpm . This is a cheap fix as well.
The annular boosters will more than likely atomise the fuel better and perhaps in a 4v engine provide better drivabilty. Rather than the conventional booster, which has a single opening ,annular boosters have a series of smaller holes instead and these are said to be far more sensitive particularly with low manifold vacuums which is right in 4v territory. Again,there seems to be a trade off ,as the annular booster becomes more restricted as rpms rise and the conventional booster seems better suited to high rpm work.
Thanks for that, and your explination makes allot of sence.
Yes my question is totally specific to 4V heads.
A mates XYGT seemed to be a lot more throttle responsive from idle to 3000 rpm with an 830 than a 750, its interesting to see how individual carb characteristics can sometimes suit a quirk of a particular motor.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech