Advice - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2006, 18:58   #1 (permalink)

Advice

Hi all,
wondering if I could get a bit of advice..
Time has come to start working on my dads XY, and want to take out the six that's currently in it and replace it with a 351, the purpose of the build is to drive it on weekends and the occasional strip too... rang Pavtek (cause I've been hearing there very good) and they gave me a quote to build a motor called the "SILVER ACCELERATOR" for $7,000 producing 445hp, now my question is do you think that this engine is too much for what I want or around the mark, is there another engine builder I can go to and get the same but cheaper (I also want the motor to be reliable)

Andrew
AndrewE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2006, 01:11   #2 (permalink)
Southern Coupe

Re: Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewE
Hi all,
wondering if I could get a bit of advice..
Time has come to start working on my dads XY, and want to take out the six that's currently in it and replace it with a 351, the purpose of the build is to drive it on weekends and the occasional strip too... rang Pavtek (cause I've been hearing there very good) and they gave me a quote to build a motor called the "SILVER ACCELERATOR" for $7,000 producing 445hp, now my question is do you think that this engine is too much for what I want or around the mark, is there another engine builder I can go to and get the same but cheaper (I also want the motor to be reliable)

Andrew

Depends what they do to the engine to get those figures - whats the torque figure??
CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:20   #3 (permalink)

7 sounds good to me for that power
the question of is it too much , thats up to you , you can get some sedate engines with that much power still , depends on cam / convertor / rear ratio/torque curve
ive never had that much power and im happy with MOST of the engines ive had ,some have been loud pigs even
pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:54   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09
Depends what they do to the engine to get those figures - whats the torque figure??
Here's the >>Link<< for the motor, I've also copied the spec's

TORQUE: 431@4600 (SING, PLANE INTAKE)
TORQUE: 423@4200 (DUAL, PLANE INTAKE)
HORSEPOWER: 445@6000 (SING, PLANE INTAKE)
HORSEPOWER: 420@5700 (DUAL, PLANE INTAKE)
CAMSHAFT: Custom Pavtek Hydraulic
CYLINDER HEADS: 3V Small Port Alloy
COMPRESSION RATIO: approx 10:1
FUEL REQUIRED: Premium Unleaded
LONG MOTOR ASSEMBLED: L351C2/A $6990
SHORT MOTOR KIT: S351C2 $1631
ASSEMBLED HEADS: H351C3/A $CALL FOR BEST PRICE

APPLICATION
AN EXCELLENT COMBO THAT CONSISTS OF A CUSTOM HYD CAM / ROLLER ROCKERS & 3V SMALL PORT HEADS FOR EXCELLENT TORQUE & HP FOR THE ENTHUSIAST WHO WANTS REAL POWER GAINS BUT STILL WANTS TO BE ABLE TO DRIVE HIS OR HER CAR EVERYDAY. USING A DUAL PLANE INTAKE WILL ALSO ENSURE THAT BONNET CLEARANCE ISN'T AN ISSUE. COMBO REQUIRES THE USE OF A MIN. 2500 RPM CONVERTER & HAS A MILD TO LOPEY IDLE.

I should of rephrased the question.. sorry Pinkbits.. but I ment to ask if the price of the motor is too much\around the mark for the price there quoting
Old 03-27-2006, 02:31   #5 (permalink)

I had a mate in NZ build up a 351 clevo in an XY for about $10000 and he had about 400hp, NZ is more exspensive for v8 parts so i would say the price is pretty good. But to be honest are you capable of building your own engine?
You could get a eng with the same pwr out put for a lot less as you wouldnt have to pay all there labour. I built a windser in NZ for my xy myself, it cost about $3000. Never got a hp reading from it but i was only margenly slower than his 10 grand clevo.

If you can build your own i would say do it, if you cant then it sounds like a good deal.
Kiwi 3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:55   #6 (permalink)

I recon I could build my own but no confidend enough to do it.. thats why I'm getting quotes for one already done..
Old 03-27-2006, 16:01   #7 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

The $ are right for the parts your getting. You can always up that engines hp pretty easy with a larger solid cam at a later date.
Old 03-28-2006, 21:07   #8 (permalink)

well, will start looking for a block..

any ideas to what to look for?
Old 04-03-2006, 17:01   #9 (permalink)

i used to use any block i found with std bore but now id only use a block that was tested
some performance mobs sell blocks already sonic tested ( so you know the bore wall thickness is good and even )
here to sonic alone is about $200 , i think its a good investment
ive only used late model blocks which i get for nothing or very little
sometimes you may go through half dozen sonic tested blocks to find a good one so if i was offered one already done for 500 or so id buy it
i onlystart with std bore blocks
if you find a block with a rear main seal that is rope type and has the pin in it you usually know they havnt been stuffed with much
ive used blocks that have been flogged and overheated and it doesnt seem to matter much
i think ive rambled on for enough
pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:30   #10 (permalink)

thanks for the info pinkbits really helpful...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech

Related Reading: Advice