Advise for G/Box behind 393 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2005, 01:20   #1 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

Advise for G/Box behind 393

Thanks to falcon coupes g/box given up on him I have decided that I will also need to look beyond the toploader .
I am looking at a TKO600 5speed and needed some help with what is needed to do the job .I have been quoted from Mal wood auto and it is as follows .
Gbox $3990.00
clutch$750.00
shifter $110.00
slip yoke$150.00
Spigot bearing$30.00
I can get the box here in perth cheaper and I am sure I can get the clutch cheaper .The all but the clutch I can live with being that mal wood boxes also comes with alot of good help from them .
If anyone esle has done this conversion and has any advise I would love to here from you Thanks.
tony xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2005, 01:59   #2 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

Re: Advise for G/Box behind 393

Great choice of box Tony, that's what i would have used if i had the $$, the dot au forums has a bloke by the name of nugget378 who uses a TKO 600 behind a CHI headed clevo (he killed a couple of toploaders before changing)
i would pm him for any info you need, he is quite helpfull.
On the subject of the TKO, how good will it be to have 5:0 gears in the diff, a strip friendly four gears and have a cruise rpm of 2800 in 5th.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:26   #3 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon coupe
Great choice of box Tony, that's what i would have used if i had the $$, the dot au forums has a bloke by the name of nugget378 who uses a TKO 600 behind a CHI headed clevo (he killed a couple of toploaders before changing)
i would pm him for any info you need, he is quite helpfull.
On the subject of the TKO, how good will it be to have 5:0 gears in the diff, a strip friendly four gears and have a cruise rpm of 2800 in 5th.
Thanks for that I will check out the other forum later .
The 4.11 diff gears on mine works out to 2200rpm 100km .
This is going to be great as the drag strip here is at the other end of the freeway .stronger 4 gears for drag and 5th for the drive there and back .
Old 09-12-2005, 07:25   #4 (permalink)

Nothin like a manual behind a 351. I had a close ratio box behind my 4v 351 years ago and it was fun to drive. I,m going c4 in my current rebuild as i feel at this stage it will be easier on the whole car and probably a lot more consistent down the quarter. It will be interesting to see how a tko goes with all that power and how driveable the car is at that power level.If yours works out well then maybe i may even go down that path at a later stage.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 17:28   #5 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

Quote:
Originally Posted by russxr67
Nothin like a manual behind a 351. I had a close ratio box behind my 4v 351 years ago and it was fun to drive. I,m going c4 in my current rebuild as i feel at this stage it will be easier on the whole car and probably a lot more consistent down the quarter. It will be interesting to see how a tko goes with all that power and how driveable the car is at that power level.If yours works out well then maybe i may even go down that path at a later stage.
Cool I will let you know how it goes
Old 09-13-2005, 01:14   #6 (permalink)

I have an older style TKO, but fitting is the same. Go the TKO's

Extra things..........

What are you doing for a bellhousing?
1. Mal Wood machines your new input shaft down to use a normal toploader bellhousing? ($150 minus labour to strip it down, may be included in your price?)
2. Custom alloy one made by Dellows automotive ($450)
3. Spacer plate $250 (more unwanted flex).

Mal recommends option #1.

The TKO's normally come with a shifter!! Make sure you're not getting double tapped!

New throwout bearing $45

You'll need a beefed up metallic style clutch disc and matching pressure plate otherwise you'll fry a heavy duty organic on the first launch. Which one do you have in mind?

When I was in Perth I dealt with the Tremec dealers in Welshpool, can't remember their name but I can get it if you like.

Tremec speedo cog. DON'T use toploader or auto ones. Your speedo sender will fit in OK, just with a new cog from Mal etc.

They're a BIG box and you may have clearance issues in the trans tunnel. Nothing some tin snips won't fix and then screw on a sheet of stainless steel etc of weld it in.

The "feet" on the extension housing sit 20mm higher on the TKO (where if sits on the crossmember). This allows the back of the gearbox to sit lower making more room in the trans tunnel, but it can also screw your driveline front uni angles up as the driveshaft has to kick up to the diff. All depends on how much your coupe has been lowered. CHECK it before giving it a boot otherwise you can get some bad vibrations. You can fix it using spacers under the crossmember mount. My XD has been lowered about 2" which hurt me a little.

Billet Flywheel and ARP bolts (assume you already have for toploader).

ps: nugget378 just destroyed his TKO600!!! Not a box problem, but it got stripped down for an inspection and the mechanic refitted some parts wrong!! Destroyed a heap of gears etc and about $2000 to fix! ONLY use professional guys who know the boxes.

Mal is great for customer service and follow-up warranty.

Old 09-13-2005, 02:02   #7 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

Looking at that pic i'm glad i didn't get one, i wouldn't butcher the floor of my GT like that, i heard a little cutting was needed but that's over the top.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:27   #8 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

My god I hope I don't have to do that to the tunnel or else I just want be getting one .
There is no way I can do that to the Gt .
Hopefully the coupe has a bigger tunnel than the xd .I have spoken to the tremec guys here in welshpool and they carry the bear box only and I want to deal with someone that knows more than just how much money they want for them .
I will call mal wood tomorrow and find out a little more about clearance in the tunnel.
Thanks for the info
Old 09-13-2005, 02:39   #9 (permalink)
Resident Budget Racer

TruBlu351, great informative post mate

But stop posting the photo of the hole you cut, you are scaring the sh*t out of the GT owners!!
Work Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 03:14   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse
But stop posting the photo of the hole you cut, you are scaring the sh*t out of the GT owners!!
Sometimes there is need for openheart sergery!!!
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech