AFD 2V heads for streeter - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2006, 22:23   #1 (permalink)

AFD 2V heads for streeter

Are the AFD or CHI heads too big for mild street engines?
How much do they cost complete?
Can you run a dual plane manifold on them?
Given the cost of doing up stock steel heads, using turned down 4v valves, etc; which way would you go?
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2006, 23:18   #2 (permalink)

Re: AFD 2V heads for streeter

It really depends on the intended application,but if your intention is a mild street engine,say in a xe or xy falcon with higher diff gears (3.23),say for example...then you can use the 2v cast heads to keep costs down,and even standard rockers(stick to a 6000 rpm limit),using a 600 vac sec, with 650 base, downleg secondary boosters,modified emulsion wells,torque-power hi-rise dual-plane manifold,hydraulic cam 0.520" lift 220-225 duration@0.050"...

2v open chamber heads,standard size valves,throat size out to 87% of the valve size,drop the ssr hump down by 0.070"and widen the ssr floor out 0.050"on either side,and most importantly straighten up the pushrod pinch wall...leave the rest of the floor alone...the port will flow around 260 cfm@28",and have quite a good "port velocity profile",which is the most important thing on the live engine...

keep static compression around 9.5-9.8:1 ,and use a good set of tri-y's,with a 2.5" dual exhaust with cross-over pipe...

this is what i call a "budget engine",and will make around 420-440 hp@flywheel...it will pull like it has 3.5 gears...this combo with standard convertor and slightly smaller cam in xe has ran 12.1@110mph,crossing the line at 3500 rpm in top gear...

you could build this engine second hand very cheap,and it will require no maintance...
soverign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 00:26   #3 (permalink)
V8 man

Quote:
Originally Posted by soverign
It really depends on the intended application,but if your intention is a mild street engine,say in a xe or xy falcon with higher diff gears (3.23),say for example...then you can use the 2v cast heads to keep costs down,and even standard rockers(stick to a 6000 rpm limit),using a 600 vac sec, with 650 base, downleg secondary boosters,modified emulsion wells,torque-power hi-rise dual-plane manifold,hydraulic cam 0.520" lift 220-225 duration@0.050"...

2v open chamber heads,standard size valves,throat size out to 87% of the valve size,drop the ssr hump down by 0.070"and widen the ssr floor out 0.050"on either side,and most importantly straighten up the pushrod pinch wall...leave the rest of the floor alone...the port will flow around 260 cfm@28",and have quite a good "port velocity profile",which is the most important thing on the live engine...

keep static compression around 9.5-9.8:1 ,and use a good set of tri-y's,with a 2.5" dual exhaust with cross-over pipe...

this is what i call a "budget engine",and will make around 420-440 hp@flywheel...it will pull like it has 3.5 gears...this combo with standard convertor and slightly smaller cam in xe has ran 12.1@110mph,crossing the line at 3500 rpm in top gear...

you could build this engine second hand very cheap,and it will require no maintance...
That terminal speed in an XE falc sounds more like 350 horses to me....
gs1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:54   #4 (permalink)

yes exactly,at the wheels...
Old 03-21-2006, 00:10   #5 (permalink)
V8 man

Quote:
yes exactly,at the wheels...
You had better get your Dyno calibrated then!Cause there is no way a stock stroke 351 cleveland will make 420-440 moroso horsepower with those cam specs and engine specs...And as for pulling 110mph and crossing the finish line at 3500rpm,what diff are you using? a 2.5???I have a 30thou over 351c with a Torque power highrise inlet,600DP holley,AFD 2v alloy heads with 4v valves,10.3-1 compression,port matched heat wrapped try -y's,full twin 2/12 inch mandrel bent exhaust with 9 inch long x pipe,msd 6al ignition and an AFD custom ground 224@50" 512" lift cam and stud mount roller rockers and that doesn't make 400 hp!So i think either the dyno you use is inaccurate or your not telling us the whole story sport!
Old 03-21-2006, 01:52   #6 (permalink)

well,i can't calibrate the tarmac any better,so i guess the 110 mph stands...
you tell me how much a xe full weight falcon weighs,and see how much power it takes to push something of that weight down 400 meters @110 mph...
there's your dyno...gears were 2.92...
Old 03-21-2006, 02:15   #7 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

I couldn't help myself. So here's the post. What he's not telling you is the 2V's weren't stock. Not a chance in hell they were. Quite a lot of user have run the numbers. I even know people with very similar spec engines. Highly unlikely they'll run 12.1's though.

[edit] Nothey I'd be looking @ the CHI 2V's. It all bolts up inc any manifold you'd like to run. I've met too many unhappy AFD owners. Even now know an unhappy AFD 4V owner.

Just look @ my old 11.8sec 351 combo that was blowing blue smoke (burning oil). You want out of the box performance no mucking around with the heads etc.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:57   #8 (permalink)
V8 man

Quote:
well,i can't calibrate the tarmac any better,so i guess the 110 mph stands...
you tell me how much a xe full weight falcon weighs,and see how much power it takes to push something of that weight down 400 meters @110 mph...
there's your dyno...gears were 2.92...
Yeah, I will tell ya.according to the Moroso power speed calculator 89650 the horsepower required to push a 3450pound XE falcon to 110 miles an hour in a quarter of a mile is bang on 350hp.Get one and do it yourself.I get sick of hearing BS power numbers from people who obviously know very little of the science of speed.My cousin has his own dyno dynamics dyno and I know all about rear wheel horsepower figures and how they relate to flywheel figures...A genuine 400hp engine will make 250rwkw on a correctly set up dyno dynamics roller,and I have heard people claiming they have 400 flywheel hp when they have made 220kw at the bags...On the subject of diff gears,to cross the line at 3500rpm doing 110mph with 2.92 diff centre you would need to be running almost 32 inch rear tyres...Wheel tubs by Dewalt or Bosch?
Old 03-21-2006, 03:31   #9 (permalink)

northey, its a good move sticking to 2V which ever one you choose if sticking to 351 cubes. The AFD 2V will accept any 2v manifold as well, but it seems the AFD heads have more runs on the board with what you are looking for. Can't go past AFD in my opinion.(And no, i'm not sponsered by either CHI or AFD )
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:34   #10 (permalink)

first of all i never said the 2v heads were standard...
secondly,400 genuine hp where...5000 rpm,or 6000 rpm,or 7000 rpm...
what torque is it making at 2000 rpm,3000 rpm,4000 rpm etc...
because torque is the stuff that accelerates your car...not hp...
especially in a heavy automatic car,you can have two cars ,both with 400 hp at 6000 rpm,but the one with the most torque through it's intended rpm range will always win...everything being equal...

the engine that i described is very application specific,and was intended to be used with high gearing...that is why i posted it to get a point across that you do not need to buy aftermarket alloy heads if you want to try and save some money...but you need to get the combination correct...everything about that combination is built around higher gearing,and making plenty of torque over a wide torque band (1800-5800 rpm)...

it uses a 600 throttlebody,modified emulsion wells,650 baseplate,with secondary downleg boosters,and is a vac sec...sits on a 1 inch cecere 4 hole spacer and a torque-power dual-plane manifold...
camshaft is ground on a 114 lsa and the i/e ratio is to suit this camshaft...

when building an engine combination,one of the most important aspects,is it's intended application...put it this way,it's easier to build a bad combo,than it is to build a good one...

brand name parts do not necessarily make your car go faster...there is more than one way to skin a cat...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech