AFD 4v alloys........ - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2005, 01:09   #1 (permalink)

AFD 4v alloys........

Hi everyone,

just after some advice with my engine, i have purchased a set of afd 4v alloys, 58cc chambers, no extra porting, i have a cam 260@ 50 inl., 268@ 50 on ex., im going to use tfc 4v inlet, not sure about carb size or if i should stroke it or not? i was thinking bg850 mighty demon, and leaving it with the standard 351 crank, if i offset ground the crank i will have 12:1 comp... this is a street/strip car.............

other question is extractor size, ive been told my pacemakers with 1/3/4 primaries are to small, i need 1/7/8 minimum, just wondering if there will be that much power lost from the exuast? fuel line size 3/8th? is that big enough? ive heard varing opinons..........

im aiming for 530-550 at the engine, ive allready run 12.9 on street tyres(radials) with only 285rwhp, my aim is to run high 11s on street tyres with the top loader, has anybody here tryed with the manual? how strong are the toploaders? in reguards to later using slicks??
Jet711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2005, 01:17   #2 (permalink)

Re: AFD 4v alloys........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet711
Hi everyone,

just after some advice with my engine, i have purchased a set of afd 4v alloys, 58cc chambers, no extra porting, i have a cam 260@ 50 inl., 268@ 50 on ex., im going to use tfc 4v inlet, not sure about carb size or if i should stroke it or not? i was thinking bg850 mighty demon, and leaving it with the standard 351 crank, if i offset ground the crank i will have 12:1 comp... this is a street/strip car.............

other question is extractor size, ive been told my pacemakers with 1/3/4 primaries are to small, i need 1/7/8 minimum, just wondering if there will be that much power lost from the exuast? fuel line size 3/8th? is that big enough? ive heard varing opinons..........

im aiming for 530-550 at the engine, ive allready run 12.9 on street tyres(radials) with only 285rwhp, my aim is to run high 11s on street tyres with the top loader, has anybody here tryed with the manual? how strong are the toploaders? in reguards to later using slicks??
Sounds like a great combo there. I would go the 750 mighty demon, and if you allready have the 1-3/4 primarys in 4v, i would stick with them for now.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:19   #3 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

For a 4V sized port 1 3/4" is definately too small. I reckon 1 7/8" is probably too small too. Falcon coupe runs a similar combo with 4V cast irons. He runs 2" primaries and a twin 3" system. No 1/4's on his car yet but I'm sure they'll happen.

Brenden
Old 01-10-2005, 01:29   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet711
Hi everyone,

The BG 850 is too big, agree with xdclevo to use the BG750. Check out the Barry Grant web page for recommendations.

Strokers are great - I have one. There is more to it than just offset grinding the crank - you need block prep, custom or chev conrods and special pistons. After you do all that the compression comes back from 12:1.

You would definately harm performance with 1 3/4 size extractors. I use 1 7/8 just on 2V's. You would be better off with 2inch primaries.

I use 1/2 inch fuel lines but many others find 3/8 is enough. If your fuel pump is sufficient then the 3/8 would be OK. ie A holley blue and 1/2inch lines would be OK but a holley blue and 3/8 lines might not be - you would need a holley black or a mallory.

Suggest you get the toploader in good condition before giving it a work out.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:37   #5 (permalink)

pacemaker 2 inch primaries are the go .The reason to use such a large pipe on a clevo is simple.Have a look at how sharply the pipe has to turn as soon as it exits the head.The larger pipe offers increased cross section at this point.The smaller pipes can be a restriction.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:58   #6 (permalink)

thanks for the reply,

just in reguards to the stroking, i was going to use eagle h-beams (small block chev), acl make a piston with the smaller size gudgion pin to suit this application, with the capacity being 377, will the engine make more peak power or will the peak power just come in at a lower rpm? do you know what the safe rev limit on the eagle h-beams are, and the eagle I beams? i think the cam is good to about 7500rpm.......
Jet711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:34   #7 (permalink)

Both the eagle rods are sufficient, I just used factory chev rods and even they are good to 7000. If you can afford it the Eagle H beam would be the best. I used the same ACL pistons and compression ended up about 10.8:1

I've written a bit in past threads about why strokers are a great idea. You get more HP (over a 351) because of the increase in displacement (obviously), but more than you get a lot more torque thanh the increase in displacement suggest because the clevo heads really suit more capacity. 4V's are almost overkill for a 351 capacity. So you get much better port velocity.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:02   #8 (permalink)

I have a friend who made 572hp & 529ftlbs through 1 7/8 inch pacemakers (406clevo).Another friend runs 11.5 @ 119.5mph through a toploader with 1 3/4 inch stepped up to 1 7/8 inch extractors.Bigger is not always better...
Old 01-10-2005, 05:04   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by balinor
I have a friend who made 572hp & 529ftlbs through 1 7/8 inch pacemakers (406clevo).Another friend runs 11.5 @ 119.5mph through a toploader with 1 3/4 inch stepped up to 1 7/8 inch extractors.Bigger is not always better...
whats to say he wouldn,t have made more power with the larger pipes.?If you have the room to make a nice exit from the head with your pipe then perhaps the smaller pipe will work better up to a certain point but the falcon engine bay is severely compromised by the shock tower.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 14:32   #10 (permalink)
ESP Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by balinor
The guy who runs 11.5 - are these headers 4 > 1's or tri y's AND where do they step up to 1 7/8th. What is the rest of the exhaust?

There is a lot of power to be found in a exhaust and he obviously has something right
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech