AFD4V vs CHI218 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2005, 08:28   #1 (permalink)
Big Motor Top Loader !!
 
xrgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 284
AFD4V vs CHI218

Finally a great comparison for these fine cyl heads.
This is what prompted me to gather the facts, even if they hurt :)


Quote:
Originally Posted by CHI OWNER-identity withheld
Hey xrgt didnt u have a set of AFD 4vs on a stroker engine, we'd all love to see the horsepower and torque figures so that we can finally compare and then decide which is the better head I know there are many different factors involved but as noone else has run these heads and theres quite a few different CHI combinations gettin aroun thered at least be one to do a comparison with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFD OWNER-identity withheld
Of course, I'm biased, too...biased to making better power!
'was at an engine dyno session today - not my engine, a 406clv stroker with out of the box AFD 4v's + TFC + custom grind Mech flat tappet + 11.1comp + pump fuel, and it made an astonishing 593HP with a massive flat curve! He was one happy customer.

XD408, a member of this forum, has a 408w stroker with Ported CHI 218's + TFC + Mech Roller + 11.1comp + fuel?, and it made an astonishing 570HP with a massive flat curve!

The CHI engine has ported heads to its advantage, as well as a Solid roller cam.
xrgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-05-2005, 13:41   #2 (permalink)
xbgt coupe 378 efi
 
xbhoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 49
Posts: 125
Re: AFD4V vs CHI218

Good work xrgt

I think you hit the nail on the head with your first sentence.
(these fine cyl heads)
xbhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 14:00   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a house....
Posts: 311
Re: AFD4V vs CHI218

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrgt
Finally a great comparison for these fine cyl heads.
This is what prompted me to gather the facts, even if they hurt :)




'was at an engine dyno session today - not my engine, a 406clv stroker with out of the box AFD 4v's + TFC + custom grind Mech flat tappet + 11.1comp + pump fuel, and it made an astonishing 593HP with a massive flat curve! He was one happy customer.

XD408, a member of this forum, has a 408w stroker with Ported CHI 218's + TFC + Mech Roller + 11.1comp + fuel?, and it made an astonishing 570HP with a massive flat curve!

The CHI engine has ported heads to its advantage, as well as a Solid roller cam, hence it has been concluded that you can't beat the AFD 4V's locally, out of the box, ie. No Porting. I know i'm going to stir up some of the proud CHI 218 owners but hey, unfortunately you can't always purchase the 'better' product.
Does this mean you are going to accept my invitation for April 10 & come out to the track (for the private hiring)?
__________________
"There is only Bathurst the rest is just waiting"......
balinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 14:03   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a house....
Posts: 311
Re: AFD4V vs CHI218

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrgt
Finally a great comparison for these fine cyl heads.
This is what prompted me to gather the facts, even if they hurt :)




'was at an engine dyno session today - not my engine, a 406clv stroker with out of the box AFD 4v's + TFC + custom grind Mech flat tappet + 11.1comp + pump fuel, and it made an astonishing 593HP with a massive flat curve! He was one happy customer.

XD408, a member of this forum, has a 408w stroker with Ported CHI 218's + TFC + Mech Roller + 11.1comp + fuel?, and it made an astonishing 570HP with a massive flat curve!

The CHI engine has ported heads to its advantage, as well as a Solid roller cam, hence it has been concluded that you can't beat the AFD 4V's locally, out of the box, ie. No Porting. I know i'm going to stir up some of the proud CHI 218 owners but hey, unfortunately you can't always purchase the 'better' product.
XD408 has a time card for the track,does the other fellow? This dyno bench racing amazes me, is it for chest pounding rights?
__________________
"There is only Bathurst the rest is just waiting"......
balinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 14:47   #5 (permalink)
Big Motor Top Loader !!
 
xrgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 284
Re: AFD4V vs CHI218

Quote:
Originally Posted by balinor
Does this mean you are going to accept my invitation for April 10 & come out to the track (for the private hiring)?
My combo is getting there... did the A/F ratios yesterday, 'was running very fat at 1/4 throttle & WOT with 74p and 84s jets. Dropped it down to 72p and 82s, did not seem to make much of a difference WOT was still around 11.6 AFR. I'm using the LM-1 from Innovative motorsports. It has the Wideband sensor that i've welded into the collector/s.

balinor, my left axle is bent at the flange, making the wheel look buckled when its not! And the whole diff seems to move back and forward unsettling the car. Have to sort out these saftey issues first! I'd rather wait a little while and do it properly, i.e full spool/ billets etc. Like I said don't keep the spot open just for me, if i'm ready before then, i'll contact you, and if the spot happens to be filled, then my bad luck.
xrgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 14:54   #6 (permalink)
Big Motor Top Loader !!
 
xrgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 284
Re: AFD4V vs CHI218

Quote:
Originally Posted by balinor
XD408 has a time card for the track,does the other fellow? This dyno bench racing amazes me, is it for chest pounding rights?
'was on an engine dyno, that the operator said "whatever it makes on this dyno, exactly reflects the 1/4 time in a specific weight car" judging by previous experience.

I think XD408 was on chassis dyno?

They are estimating low to mid 10's in a 3500lbs car.
xrgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 15:20   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
george 351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Age: 49
Posts: 82
Re: AFD4V vs CHI218

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrgt
My combo is getting there... did the A/F ratios yesterday, 'was running very fat at 1/4 throttle & WOT with 74p and 84s jets. Dropped it down to 72p and 82s, did not seem to make much of a difference WOT was still around 11.6 AFR. I'm using the LM-1 from Innovative motorsports. It has the Wideband sensor that i've welded into the collector/s.

balinor, my left axle is bent at the flange, making the wheel look buckled when its not! And the whole diff seems to move back and forward unsettling the car. Have to sort out these saftey issues first! I'd rather wait a little while and do it properly, i.e full spool/ billets etc. Like I said don't keep the spot open just for me, if i'm ready before then, i'll contact you, and if the spot happens to be filled, then my bad luck.

xrgt,

you will find when you replace the bent axle the diff movement will disappear.I recently had the same problem.During normal driving up to 80 km everything was fine but under throttle it seemed as though the diff was held in with rubber bands.Discovered I had a bent axle,replaced it and now she feels solid.

balinor,

are you going to wsid on April 10th.It's building up to be a good meeting.
george 351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 15:42   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a house....
Posts: 311
Re: AFD4V vs CHI218

Quote:
Originally Posted by george 351
xrgt,

you will find when you replace the bent axle the diff movement will disappear.I recently had the same problem.During normal driving up to 80 km everything was fine but under throttle it seemed as though the diff was held in with rubber bands.Discovered I had a bent axle,replaced it and now she feels solid.

balinor,

are you going to wsid on April 10th.It's building up to be a good meeting.
I will be there in the XT George.My poor little Windsor will be struggling against all the big Clevo's going but should be great fun!
__________________
"There is only Bathurst the rest is just waiting"......
balinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 16:15   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
crochunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 828
Re: AFD4V vs CHI218

Yes i have to agree the AFDS are far better than the CHI out of the box. Everyone went and brought the chi because they were new out. There is always going to be something better to come along. You want performance just keep up with the technology.
crochunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 16:16   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
george 351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Age: 49
Posts: 82
Re: AFD4V vs CHI218

Quote:
Originally Posted by balinor
I will be there in the XT George.My poor little Windsor will be struggling against all the big Clevo's going but should be great fun!
It will be interesting to see how the iron headed clevos shape up against the alloy heads that if anyone is still running the old 4v's.Could be a few bruised egos by the end of the day.
george 351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:12.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.