Ford Forums banner

afd's 2v

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  ClevoCapri 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried the 2v afd's & what problems did you encounter fitting them , what exh r u running & inlet manifold matching, what improvements did you achieve

cheers pete

#2 ·
xbhoon said:
Has anyone tried the 2v afd's & what problems did you encounter fitting them , what exh r u running & inlet manifold matching, what improvements did you achieve

cheers pete
I have the AFD 2v's, but from one of the first batches made, so i did have some minor problems fitting. Since then the port alignment problems have been cured. I use a Weiand 2v excellerator, which fit pretty good, and Pacemaker 2v, 4 into 1 extractors that i port matched. They only need portmatching on the right side looking at the heads.(rear of pass and front of the drivers side of extractors). No other exhaust mods needed.

I did get a huge improvement, but did go from a milder hydraulic/homebrand extractors to a new motor, with a decent solid cam & 4-1's. I know guys are saying that the CHI's are far better than anything else, but i plan on showing how well the AFD's work in the new year :angel:

#3 ·
xbhoon said:

cheers pete
I have recently fitted up AFD 2v's and opted for the hand ported models.

No fitting problems - inlet and exhaust bolted straight up. Wieand Excellarator 2V and Pacemaker 4V tri Y's (soon to be replaced by Pacy 4 into 1's)

be aware that AFD's have 5/16th stud holes for rocker gear so unless your already running something bigger than std you may have upgrade to some Y/T Platinum R/R's or similar (just another $1100 or so)

I upgraded to a big solid cam and 800 cfm carb. On 1st dyno test made 238rwkw with only 30deg total advance thru toploader & 9". Have since cranked it up to 40 deg total advance with no noticeable pinging and obvious power gain

Revved to 6900 but was leaning out aboive 5000rpm so had to install elect pump and 1/2" line with regulator.

Have just had this done so will be back to dyno soon for carb & timing tune after 4 into 1's go on

Will post results here when I become the next member of the 250rwkw club

Shayne

#6 ·
xbhoon said:
what paceys are you fitting i need the 4070 for mine if anyone is selling
cheers pete
I forget the model No. but they will be 4v 1 3/4" 4 into 1's to suit XD

I am going 4v because I also have heavily ported cast 2v heads that require 4v headers and if I change back to these heads anytime (I may swap the alloys to another car) they will still fit without modding the exhaust system

#7 ·
shaynet said:
I forget the model No. but they will be 4v 1 3/4" 4 into 1's to suit XD

I am going 4v because I also have heavily ported cast 2v heads that require 4v headers and if I change back to these heads anytime (I may swap the alloys to another car) they will still fit without modding the exhaust system

the 4v paccers will fit the afd heads anyway without match porting i believe

#8 ·
xbhoon said:
the 4v paccers will fit the afd heads anyway without match porting i believe
The ones I want are PH4075. You have to be careful as there are others in the Pacy range but some won't fit with C4 or FMX transmissions which is a possibility 4 me later on

Yes my older style Pacy 4v tri y's bolted straight up to AFD's with no port clearance issues when I checked the gasket to the heads

#9 ·
xbhoon: are you running roller rockers on the stock pedestals or have they been machined down to use screw in studs?

If machined for studs they would most likely be 7/16 size. Shaynet says they come with 5/16 holes, if so you're looking at a few issues. It would be cheaper to get the holes retapped for your bigger studs than to buy a whole new set of rocker gear.

Can't AFD just machine the holes to the customers requirement?

#11 ·
TruBlu351 said:
xbhoon: are you running roller rockers on the stock pedestals or have they been machined down to use screw in studs?

If machined for studs they would most likely be 7/16 size. Shaynet says they come with 5/16 holes, if so you're looking at a few issues. It would be cheaper to get the holes retapped for your bigger studs than to buy a whole new set of rocker gear.

Can't AFD just machine the holes to the customers requirement?
Sorry, could be my mistake. If std heads are 5/16th, the AFD's are bigger and are 7/16th I think.

The AFD's are designed to take the Platinum Y/T RR's

#15 ·
How ya goin xbhoon. I too have AFD 2v's and am more than happy with there performance. I run a holley street dominator manifold and 1 7\8 extractors. I did have to give the extractors a slight port match, only a 10 min job. As said 4v extractors will go straight on. My motor is a 378ci with a crane f238 solid cam. I havent had it on a dyno but putting the cars weight and mph from the drags into a moroso power speed calculator its making about 390hp at the wheels. Give or take. Its a strong motor on the street thats for sure.
Cheers

#17 ·
Conrods are 350 chev rods that have been polished, shotpeened and balanced. It has forged flat tops. Compression is around 11.4. At the drags I shift at 6200 and cross the line at about 6700. I was told with the std type chev rods not to rev it over 6500. Some H beams would be nice for a bit of insurance. Next build maby, Efi would be nice too!! Take it easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.