Ford Forums banner

Ahhh Metal fragments in the oil

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  STROKEXD 
#1 ·
Just dropped the oil out of the new motor after its first 400k’s. Rather alarmed by the amount of metal fragments I found in the oil filter after I cut it open. Probably enough to cover a 20c piece. And that’s the bits I found!

Have any of you guys got any idea what constitutes 'normal' for this sort of thing? Wasn’t expecting to see anything, but maybe it’s one of those things with a new motor...

#2 ·
What does it look like? Black sandy/ graphite in colour ? Then maybe its the rough hone and hopefully the rings are bedding in??

#6 ·
Found very little, if perhaps none in the oil pan. Me too suspecting a cam lobe (doesn't look like bearing material) though it was all run in as it should.

Later last night after clearing my head I had another look at the filter, and whole situation. It's sure got crud in it, but probably not as much as I initially thought.

Having a good daylight look at it I can see some of the fragments I thought were from the motor actually came from the filter casing where I cut it!

Feel much better about it all today, but will show the engine builder see what he says. No reason to pull the motor, but perhaps another thorough check in 50k's as suggested.

Keeping my fingers crossed it's not as much a problem as I thought last night.

#7 ·
If the engine has down little to nothing since being completely overhauled, you have to expect some metal/swarf to show in the oil after any machining.

That is usually what determines the difference between good engine assembly and reasonable engine assembly.

Also where the swarf is found can help to pin-point where the swarf is from in terms of oil passage flow.

You say you ran the engine in correctly, what valve springs did you run?

Have seen engines built and ran in properly down to the letter, and yet still knocked a lobe off prematurely.

Please let us know. :)

#8 ·
Though I ran the full springs, lots of lube was used and the oil pressure was up from the 1st few seconds. Filled the fuel bowls so there was only maybe 3 secs of cranking before it fired up.

Kept it 2000-3000 revs for 1st 15 mins then went for a slow drive.

Apparantly the Holden's and Chevs are more known for initial lobe problems than the CLevelands, and anything other than all out race profiles, softer springs not necessary. Maybe that is crap though.

Engine builder reckons everything is OK, but next few 100k's will see if I can inspect the lobes through the valley cover with a torch.

Keep you posted.

#9 ·
Is this stuff magnetic? Or be picked up by magnet ??

When I used to hang around a reputable Clevo builder years ago, he used to hone the cam follower with fine wet & dry and make sure there is NO sharp edge on lifter. He run single spring at 1800 rpm for 20 min then change to double springs..He spent alot of time making sure the angle on cam follower was perfect! Some are milled nearly at 180*.. The must be an angle to make fllower turn and not slice cam lobe !!! Roller cams fix's these issues, but it's expensive as usual.....

#10 ·
Sounds like a good engine builder. Mine's obviously not that thorough. Would have done this procedure myself if I was informed.

If I have to pull the motor, will get run up on an engine dyno and do all that stuff. After spending 48 hours wrestling with the thing to get it back on the road I'm not in a real hurry just yet.

#11 ·
Hang in there!! You maybe reading too much into this..I hope so...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.