Alloy Heads - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2003, 03:57   #1 (permalink)
ESP Man

confused Alloy Heads

Have seen a bit on here about CHI heads but nothing on the Air Flow Dynamics heads also from Melbourne.

See new website at www.airflowdynamics.com.au

Has anyone had any experience with the AFD heads?
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2003, 22:42   #2 (permalink)
EFI 351c TD CORTINA

Re: Alloy Heads

ive just been to their web site and now am very very tempted to get some!

$3100 for a alloy head flowing 600+hp, machined up for studs, good valves, double springs and moly retainers and locks! IM EXCITED

you could spend close to that doing up some 2v's, but they wont flow near that and wont run on pump fuel.

haha this engine started out being a mild 300hp job lol

brenx, with your 3v's, were they a drop on drive away deal?, what else is involved to converting over to the alloy? ill put my studs+guide plates from my first heads on these.

Last edited by qwikcorty; 12-16-2003 at 22:46.
qwikcorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 23:17   #3 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

The AFD's will be more a drop on drive away deal than the 3V's. I didn't want to sacrifice power for a head that won't do what I want it to. AFD would have only made around 500-510hp with my setup, where the CHI make quite a substancial bit more. :) They may suit some other engine setups here. AFD is only local too. They're located in Berwick, Vic.

AFD is or already has in delopment a 4v type alloy head, similar to CHI's 218cc head. It'll be interesting to see what kind of figures an engine pulls with the AFD 4v.

Just check the guides are centred if anyone purchases AFD's or CHI's. I aint seen a set yet with the guides drilled centre on the AFD's. I've been told by Dave @ AFD this has been corrected but in the next post he posted a pic of AFD's just prepped. Guess what? Guides off centre.

There are various places will tell you it's not an issue. Think of it this way, Less room for guide wear if it's not centred.

I've seen a single pair of CHI's been redone for this reason. It's not a major problem, the fix is replace the guides correctly and carefully.

All comes down to individual choice. I may have chosen AFD if the new head was out but I'll never know.

Brenden
Old 12-16-2003, 23:23   #4 (permalink)
EFI 351c TD CORTINA

why do u say they are only good for 500hp with your setup? why is the chi's better for you?
do u think $3160 is a good price for these heads complete?
Old 12-17-2003, 00:09   #5 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikcorty
why do u say they are only good for 500hp with your setup? why is the chi's better for you?
do u think $3160 is a good price for these heads complete?
Short story is the AFD is chasing CHI for flow. The CHI's flow more. More flow = more power.

AFD = 620hp head
CHI = 680hp head

Even the Engine masters head 3V (CHI's 2V) flows more than the AFD 2V. It all amounts to how much money you have in your pocket.

Brenden
Old 12-17-2003, 00:15   #6 (permalink)
EFI 351c TD CORTINA

in their web page it says they've delevoped a 4v alloy head with 700hp flow! its in the coming soon section.
Old 12-17-2003, 00:17   #7 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikcorty
in their web page it says they've delevoped a 4v alloy head with 700hp flow! its in the coming soon section.
All sounds good for cleveland users. Just have to wait for testing to see if they work well. My guess is yes they'll work nicely anyway. I'd like to see a set firsthand to look at the port work.

Brenden
Old 12-17-2003, 03:05   #8 (permalink)
Munch Munch Rice 4 Lunch

but brenx didn't you have some problems with your alloy heads when you first fitted them?
RevHeadRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 03:11   #9 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevHeadRon
but brenx didn't you have some problems with your alloy heads when you first fitted them?
Yes, The manifold holes in the head didn't line up. The reason for this is CHI designs their heads only to take their CHI manifold. In short busted a bolt trying to get a manifold on. Too much side pressure.

CHI has since moved the manifold bolts to the stock positioning till their manifold is released. Problem solved. My issue was solved by elongating the manifold holes.

Only other issue I had was fitting my 2v pacemaker 4070 4-1 extractors. They were required to be bent down 10mm. If I'd purchased 4v pacemaker 4075 4-1 extractors this wouldn't have been an issue.

I just wanted to use my close enough to new parts. So it made it difficult. Everything else went like clock work

Brenden
Old 12-17-2003, 03:20   #10 (permalink)
Munch Munch Rice 4 Lunch

i'm not exactly sure what you mean by bending the extractors down 10mm, how did you go about bending the extractors? where and why did you have to?
RevHeadRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech