Alternative Crank Venting - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2004, 04:39   #1 (permalink)
Boost Is for Pussies

Alternative Crank Venting

Okay. Bizzare Question time guys.
I Have a set of Lovely, Virginal, Ford Racing Polished Aluminium Valve Covers. They're not even drilled for the Oil filler or PCV. And I Just can't bring myself to drill holes in them.... Has anyone ever Ventilated a Clevo through the intake manifold valley? Am I just being stupid?
Ok, other Question.
Car: 1971 XY Falcooon. NO emissions gear *at all* required (as long as it doesn't leak on the ground I spose...).
I'd been thinking about using one of those "extractor" type setups, using the exhaust system to draw from the breathers, but chickened out after watching the copper trying to screw everyone at Harrys Diner one night, and After Brenx's fun with the cops and emissions....

Other options:

Twin Breathers. Either the mini K&N style jobbies, or the dome ones that drool on your valve covers...

Single Breather and a PCV....

Which one is the best? My 750 Vac Sec already has a PCV hose thingo, but I'll happily block the bugger up.

Ben
GammaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2004, 05:42   #2 (permalink)

Re: Alternative Crank Venting

Mate.......break out those drill bits and pop those cherries!

Go the mini K&N style breathers. The chrome cap ones are . If you ant to go real schmick and keep with the theme, go the Ford Racing ones! I have one filter and the PCV valve connected on the other side. DON'T confuse which side of the rocker to drill the holes (front or rear).

Start your holes small and work bigger - I porked one and went a bit too big. Scribe the exact diameter and drill lots of small holes around the inside of the circumference to knock out the disc. Then use a dremmel style grinder for a nice smooth finish.

Use some good loctite on the screws that hold the splash plates in place (that go under the holes).

For the two bolt holes on top of rocker cover, you can either buy extra long nuts or I used a big length of "thread rod", screw it in with cover on and cut so about 5-10mm hangs out, then attach chrome dome style nuts.

Old 11-23-2004, 13:17   #3 (permalink)

If you have a single plane manifold you could drill thru the rear of the manifold (missing the runners) which would go straight into the valley. Then drill a 14.5mm hole and use a 3/8 NPT tap to screw the fitting onto. You would have to remove the manifold first of course. The PCV would be more effective their as the crankcase needs ventilating not the heads. An oil filler breather gap in the rocker cover would be the go.
northiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 17:22   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
Use some good loctite on the screws that hold the splash plates in place (that go under the holes).
Expanding on this. While the covers are still clean apply a fair dop of silicone over the top of each screw contacting the baffle. That way if they every come loose, they'll never end up in the engine.

Brenden
Old 11-23-2004, 18:05   #5 (permalink)

A mate ran his Clevo with no holes in the rockers and it just idled higher so he adjusted the idle screw down !!! Try using a spacer plate under the carby as they usually have the vacuum pipe on the end of em for the brake booster hose. The hole for the air cleaner I thought u might go without. Thought it was for EGR only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech