Alternator problems :( help pls - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2005, 00:12   #1 (permalink)
82XE 351c

Alternator problems :( help pls

hey all,
I was heading up to the next town about 1hr away today in my XE 351c and noticed my Volts gauge had gone through the roof, about 3/4 the way to coffs.
I stopped for a second and checked everything over and figured it must be a bad earth on the gauge or something :(
it ended up being the regulator on the ALT, which means it has fried the battery pretty bad and burnt out my fuse-able link.

I was stuck there until i worked out what was going on, I pulled out the fuse-link and started it through a spanner :) then got myself to an auto elec.
He made a constant link for me and disconnected my alt.
After pissing around in coffs everytime i stopped cause the battery was completely drained, i went and got one of those battery/charge packs from super crap to get me going.
p.s. my alt was a small 6cl version from before the conversion.

Now a couple questions;
-What is a good replacement Alternator that fits with minimal mods?
-would this of hurt anything pumping full alt volts to the battery, I know the battery, alt and fuse links are stuffed. anything else?

somethings i have noticed;
-for some reason i am now idling high, i figure maybe cause no load on the alt?
-my autometer tacho now won't drop below about 1500rpm, but when driving, if i go above 1500rpm it moves up fine.
-my oil pressure has dropped a bit, from 5 lines from the top to 7 lines from the top on XE S Pack gauge.
-I am now also running on when i switch it off, i figure again cause of the alt loads no longer being there?
-My accelerator is sticking, i doubt this is linked in anyway as i also ran into red line on fuel trying to get to the auto elec without having to turning it off.

what a painfull day let me tell you!! Hope you guys have some storys kinda similar etc with some good news!

thanks all
ps. it never fried the battery to the point of no water, drained it about half way i am guessing.
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2005, 01:49   #2 (permalink)

Re: Alternator problems :( help pls

Buy a new Bosch (read that as ONLY fit Bosch, nothing else) 85 amp alternator. If you get the universal fit type, you may have to drill out the upper mounting hole. Needs the end of the wiring changed (the plug is supplied).

The guages may settle down after a new alternator is fitted.
RPO-083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:18   #3 (permalink)
Injection is nice But

It may have melted the throttle cable & used it as an earth.

Agree with above.

Brett
BAGTHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:26   #4 (permalink)
82XE 351c

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGTHO
It may have melted the throttle cable & used it as an earth.

Agree with above.

Brett

do you mean the cable running to the carb? silly q i know
mine is plastic cased which wouldnt have help. though it is new and run well away from everything else.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:03   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pracy
do you mean the cable running to the carb? silly q i know
mine is plastic cased which wouldnt have help. though it is new and run well away from everything else.
Yep, they have a steel cable inside and also a flat wound outer covered in plastic. They can work as good conductors thru the car. Sometimes the plastic can melt and cause restrictions when it cools down. I've seen hand brake cables turn into super conductors with elec issues and drip hot plastic onto the ground.

All the gauges are calibrated for 12'ish volts. Higher or lower can cause false readings.

The running on issue...........do you mean coughing and spluttering running on or when you turn the ignition off it keeps idling normally?
Old 05-24-2005, 06:19   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

I have the universal 85amp Bosch. All you need to do is use the front alternator housing off a clevo alternator. Then it's straight bolt up. you may need to space the pulley forward with a washer 2mm->3mm. Mine already had the appropriate spacer from new.
Old 05-24-2005, 13:42   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
I have the universal 85amp Bosch. All you need to do is use the front alternator housing off a clevo alternator. Then it's straight bolt up. you may need to space the pulley forward with a washer 2mm->3mm. Mine already had the appropriate spacer from new.

Very nifty! - What sort of money are we looking at to buy 1 of these???
Thanks.
Old 05-24-2005, 15:37   #8 (permalink)
82XE 351c

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
Yep, they have a steel cable inside and also a flat wound outer covered in plastic. They can work as good conductors thru the car. Sometimes the plastic can melt and cause restrictions when it cools down. I've seen hand brake cables turn into super conductors with elec issues and drip hot plastic onto the ground.

All the gauges are calibrated for 12'ish volts. Higher or lower can cause false readings.

The running on issue...........do you mean coughing and spluttering running on or when you turn the ignition off it keeps idling normally?

as i turn it off, it keeps running, not normally but it runs a bit then makes a noise i dont like :( lol. it never sounds good when running on.
Old 05-24-2005, 15:41   #9 (permalink)
82XE 351c

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx

thanks brenx, sounds like a plan. I dont think i will use the housing though as mine is a old shitty looking alt, thought i will se how it looks.
cheers
Old 05-24-2005, 16:14   #10 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Alternator was $210 new.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech