Anyone use main stud girdles? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2006, 01:35   #1 (permalink)

Anyone use main stud girdles?

Does anyone use main stud girdles on their Clevo's?
Would you recommend their use? I'm using a 2-bolt block & would like some added insurance in the bottom end.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2006, 03:24   #2 (permalink)

Re: Anyone use main stud girdles?

I reckon if you fill the block with hardblock etc then you would not need a main stud girdle. Filling the block will give the block the rigidity you need and in my opinion better than any girdle.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:45   #3 (permalink)

Thanks russxr67. I am going to grout-fill it to the pump outlets but thought the girdle might help stabilise the main caps. I've heard that 2-bolt caps can walk a bit, even with main studs. Not sure if it's true or not.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:08   #4 (permalink)
Turbo 351TC "Coming soon"

I was going to do both when I build my turbo'd 351 as well. I think it would help the old 2 bolts stand up to a little more punishment. I hope!!! Plus they don't cost much either. I've also heard of the caps walking too.
TD302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:17   #5 (permalink)

Cheers TD302. I'll be running nitrous on my stroker & want anything that will help make it stronger & more reliable.
A turbo'd 351 should scoot along nicely! Are you going to put it in a Corty?
Old 02-24-2006, 07:14   #6 (permalink)

I think with the good main tunnel strength of the clevo a girdle isn't neccesary, even with the weak ass 5.0 windsor blocks most would say that the girdle only helps to hold the broken pieces together for a few more seconds, which i guess is better than nothing, at least the crank and rods have a bit better chance of survival if the block flexes/breaks.

I don't think those thin girdles would do much, maybe if it was 1/2 thick and had a very tight fit over the studs.
LTD351V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:05   #7 (permalink)
BLOWNXD

I had a stud girdle fitted to my 351w bottom end for added insurance and didnt grout fill, and used a 4.00 4340 eagle crank. I just recently pulled the engine apart to start a new one and hadnt had any issues with the bottom end crank, mains and bearings were all fine. The stud girdle which i had fitted cost me only a couple hundred from memory and was close to 1/2 inch thick. Id say for the money especially if your going to be stroking and using forced induction/nos its well worth the investment.

My new block is a World series "man o war" with the billet 4 bolt mains with splayed caps so no girdle obviously required, I wasnt going to grout fill the block but it apparently adds a little extra strength and can give you an extra 7 - 10hp ??
XD408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 14:43   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufLTD
Cheers TD302. I'll be running nitrous on my stroker & want anything that will help make it stronger & more reliable.
A turbo'd 351 should scoot along nicely! Are you going to put it in a Corty?
Yeah tufLTD its going into a TC Cortina. Should end up looking like my photoshop modified avatar pic (colour and wheels but with a 4" cowl hood style scoop). Its a long term project as the house,wife and kids take most if not all of the spare money at the moment. So far I've seam welded it, started the mini tubs and flat boot floor (has a spare wheel well in the floor) then i'll start on the engine bay mods (need to make/cut some room for a gt42r and pipe work while leaving room for an engine plate) then body/rust work. As i'm doing 95% of the work myself it takes time which I don't have much atm but it'll get there one day. Aim is to run mid 9's once finished.. Well thats the plan
Old 02-24-2006, 15:32   #9 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

I've also heard about cap walk but my prior 351's caps hadn't walked and it saw 7000rpm regularly. Which can be seen/heard in videos of my car. I wonder what it takes to get a cleveland cap to walk? They aren't small and neither are the bolts holding them.

I've got grout in the 393 for added insurance but oil temp is higher than a non grouted block.
Old 02-27-2006, 22:13   #10 (permalink)

Brenx-- I've heard that grouting will raise your oil temps. An oil cooler is cheap as and will fix the problem. How is the beast going anyhow??
I'm mounting my trans and engine oil coolers under the boot floor with 8" thermos on each. Done a little like the white blown TC on the cover of one of the streetmachine ford mags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech