Aussie Desert Cooler Radiators - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2005, 19:31   #1 (permalink)

Aussie Desert Cooler Radiators

Howdy All

I bought one of these triple flow radiators, new, some time ago, fitted with twin AU thermos. The setup sat inside my house for a long time, waiting for the car to get back on the road. (and allowing my warranty to expire)

Anyhow, 1500 km's later, and probably about two and a bit years, the two tanks started to separate at the top of the cores !! I was howling, given that it performed really well (even on 40 degree + days in traffic) and my warranty had expired.

I called Norm at Aussie Desert Cooler, and given the radiator had done virtually no work, he replaced it with a brand new one, even covering freight from Melb to Perth !

I figure that a bloke who is prepared to back up his work and look after his customers deserves a plug. I would have no hesitation recommending these guys to anyone.
xbcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2005, 19:42   #2 (permalink)
351 XE on LPG

Re: Aussie Desert Cooler Radiators

It needs to be said. The fact is that the tanks shouldn't have seperated in the first place. NO EXCUSE. Not when you are buying a 'quality' item.

I was going to get one of these as well, till I spoke to a few people. I ended up getting Eric from ATT Radiators in Malaga (WA) to build up one of his customs for my XE, then later another one for my son's XY. Very professional and we are both very happy.

All I can say is do as much homework as you can before spending the big bucks. Adverts in magazines can look very pretty and sound really good, but they can cause us to fall into a false sence of security if we are not careful, and we end up having a bad experience, (or run the risk of cooking our precious Clevelands).

I'm glad all is well now XBcoupe, and that Norm is looking after his customers. A little old fashioned goodwill can go a long way.
Rhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 20:17   #3 (permalink)

I has a triple flow 3 core in my xd and dint have any trouble with it. I reckon it was the best radiator i had ever brought.
crochunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 20:56   #4 (permalink)

Rhett

In fairness to Norm, he said that the old one looked like it had been "pressurised." As a precaution I am now replacing my cap and thermostat just in case. In any event, something fairly major must have taken place for the whole radiator to have twisted like it did.
Even after that, he still replaced it.

By the way, I'm going to use a 170 degree high flow thermostat. Anyone using these?
xbcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 21:48   #5 (permalink)
351 XE on LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbcoupe
By the way, I'm going to use a 170 degree high flow thermostat. Anyone using these?
Yes I have. Works well, though I'm now looking for a 160 unit 'cos apparently they're better suited to gas.

I take my hat off to Norm for looking after you. I just wanted to pass on what I'd heard from a number of sources. I cant remember who it was, but they had to pull the tanks off their Desert Cooler and discovered that some coolant could bypass some of the baffles without being forced to pass across the radiator again, thus losing some cooling efficiency of the by-pass design.

Maybe they just had a dud and it was an isolated case.
Rhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 22:53   #6 (permalink)
82XE 351c

well I had a triple flow from him aswell, it was the worse rad I have seen... The tanks were the first thing to go wrong, they came apart... then the spout for the over flow bottle fell out, had never been welded etc..
it just kept going, I got my money back and told him an aussie desert product would never see my car again...

at work now so no time for details but if anyone is interested just ask...

also he sold me a triple flow, The local guy hey said it was just visual plate at the top, nothing had been modded inside at all. Norm's only excuse for this is the wrong one must have been sent!!! BS
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:49   #7 (permalink)
New toy in the shed

I have known Norm for a lot of years and i would not buy on of his rads if you payed me. He did one for me in a 32 coupe and i pulled 138 grams of solder out of it, and that was before i fitted it.
ch7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 02:08   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crochunter
I has a triple flow 3 core in my xd and dint have any trouble with it. I reckon it was the best radiator i had ever brought.

Was that radiator still in it when you sold the car?
smally351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:02   #9 (permalink)

I wish I had seen this post beforehand. I just bought a 4 core Aussie Desert Cooler radiator. Noticed the overflow spout was missing. There was solder also rattling around inside the radiator as well. Sent it back to be fixed.Just hope the tanks don't come apart.
Clearly quality control needs to be looked at more closely.
Craig
kionga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:16   #10 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

Sometimes a business is better off staying small to keep the quality they first had to become big in the first place .
Something like that
tony xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech