Aussie vs American Clevo's - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2005, 05:59   #1 (permalink)

Aussie vs American Clevo's

G'day Folks,
I had an interesting talk with Scott at Auto Power Parts on Friday. He's a very cluey bloke & we got to talking about Clevo blocks. Apparently, Aussie blocks (prior to XD) never came with coolant from the factory & virtually no-one ever put coolant in them until much later when we became educated about the damage corrosion can cause (that's about 20 years of corrosion for a '70's block!). The American Clevo's came with coolant from the factory & most motorists re-filled with coolant. The Yanks were educated much earlier regarding coolant than us Aussies. Scott can get hold of American Clevo blocks with almost no corrosion which means much thicker cylinder walls.
Just an interesting fact I thought you all might like to hear.
Cheers from Mal.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2005, 06:21   #2 (permalink)

Re: Aussie vs American Clevo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufLTD
G'day Folks,
I had an interesting talk with Scott at Auto Power Parts on Friday. He's a very cluey bloke & we got to talking about Clevo blocks. Apparently, Aussie blocks (prior to XD) never came with coolant from the factory & virtually no-one ever put coolant in them until much later when we became educated about the damage corrosion can cause (that's about 20 years of corrosion for a '70's block!). The American Clevo's came with coolant from the factory & most motorists re-filled with coolant. The Yanks were educated much earlier regarding coolant than us Aussies. Scott can get hold of American Clevo blocks with almost no corrosion which means much thicker cylinder walls.
Cheers from Mal.
Now you're gonna have everyone hunting high and low to get their hands on U.s blocks cause they think they will be better off but its not the case at all.Iv,e got one U.S cast block that had substansial rusting and after sonic testing came back with reasonably good wall thickness. on the other hand i,ve got one that has bugger all rust and wall thickness was shite.I hit water with a routine 30 overbore.Bottom line for me is i,ve had much better fortune using aussie cast blocks especially later xd on than i,ve had with U.S stuff. Only one way to be sure.Sonic check first before you put money into it.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 06:44   #3 (permalink)

Yes true. Always sonic test a block first. XD blocks are good.They also came with coolant from the factory. I'm not saying all U.S blocks are good but I just thought it was an interesting point worth looking in to.
Old 08-07-2005, 16:08   #4 (permalink)
New toy in the shed

Quote:
G'day Folks,
Cheers from Mal.
I hate to burst your bubble but i worked for a Ford dealership in the 70s and i can tell you that every car i worked on from the factory had coolent in it. I would like to know your basies for this fact? I have had both US and Auisse blocks and have found no differance at all, yes the wall thickness dose very but they all do.
ch7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 02:29   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch7472
I hate to burst your bubble but i worked for a Ford dealership in the 70s and i can tell you that every car i worked on from the factory had coolent in it. I would like to know your basies for this fact? I have had both US and Auisse blocks and have found no differance at all, yes the wall thickness dose very but they all do.
It seems that I've been shot down in flames! I was just passing on some info from a conversation that I thought might be worth considering. Apparently not.
By the way, I've been a mechanic since the late seventies & I know that prior to alloy heads very few Aussies knew what coolant was (I'll be waiting for the outraged "I knew what coolant was in the '70's" replies). Outside of dealerships, very few cars would have had coolant added or changed regularly.
This wasn't meant to be a "factual" statement written in stone, just a casual observation. Take it or leave it.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:27   #6 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Hmmm. well I had my first car (a Mini Moke) in 1972 and even though it was an iron block and head, and although I was trying to be a hippie rather than a car enthuiast then, I was using coolant in it and as were of my friends with their cars (which included another mini, a GA Galant, a 180B, a GTR Torana, a HQ Monaro, an MG, a Renault 16TS and a Rambler Rebel. Alloy heads were already very common in the market with most Japanese cars so people knew the risks of not using coolant. In addition Renault R12s and 16s were very common then and Renault specified their own special coolant (which I really don't think was special at all). I will admit that many older drivers of FB, EK and EH Holdens and the like were still collecting rainwater and using that.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:44   #7 (permalink)
ESP Man

Quote:
G'day Folks,
Cheers from Mal.
This goes against the grain of Yanks snapping up every Aussie Clevo block they can get their hands on. If the US blocks were generally better why would they be buying ours?
Old 08-08-2005, 06:09   #8 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

As I was curious I asked my 84 year old father about this. He said he went from using straight rainwater to adding GMH additives and then Castrol Coolant (plus distilled wateR) in the 1960's when he went from a Vanguard Spacemaster Ute to a 1963 EH Panel Van. The EH came from the factory with coolant (water plus GM 1894M corrosion inhibitor) so there may have been a warranty concern but it also coincided with a move from the bush to city where these products and Holden Dealer service were both probably much more readily available. So perhaps you're just 10 or 20 years out in terms of when this change ocurred and I wonder if circumstances in the US were any different.

BTW I now have that EH and it's done just over 100,000 miles and still has the original engine and radiator. The water pump (aluminium alloy) has failed many times though - due last time to corrosion but bearings have also failed in these pumps.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:50   #9 (permalink)

whats a good wall thickness for a clevo
whats the best youve seen
pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 17:22   #10 (permalink)

just had mine tested and was 4.25 minimum
for a 650hp forced chev i was told 3 was minimum soim happy with 4.25
pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech