Which Auto behind the clevo, FMX or AOD - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2005, 21:08   #1 (permalink)
ZK 351

Which Auto behind the clevo, FMX or AOD

thought this thread would probably be better off in here than in tranny section, for the simple fact that this is where all the clevo owners are

Now this is to go behind the 351 in my 81' LTD, that has a Vortech V2 blower hanging off it running 5-6psi boost.... not sure on power output yet, as i am a few weeks of getting it all finished, all i have left to do is get my intake piping done (next week) and a few other fiddly bits and pieces :) cant wait

most of this comes about because i have to pull the FMX out regardless, as it is leaking from the pump seal, and extension housing, and well where doesnt it leak at the moment, hahaha...

basically i am tossing up between giving a fmx a rebuild with a stage 2 shift kit and putting a 2000-2200 stall behind it... and eventually go with 3:1 gears in the rear end to replace the 2.77's.... (as i do alot of long distance driving with the car)

OR
There is an F1OD auto that i have been looking into, thats apparently built to handle 500hp (this info came from the tranny shop that built the box i am looking into)
off the top of my head,upgraded AOD planetary, 7 clutch pack, A+ servo, 2000rpm stall, transgo stage 2 shift kit, and a bunch of other bits..
now thats a flywheel to yoke deal, for not a bad price...

added bonus of this package is 4th gear with the 0.67 overdrive....
which means i could go for 3.5:1 or 3.7:1 gears in the rear and still be able to take it on long trips... and it will get moving off the line a bit better too..

now i have rang 3 or 4 tranny shops in the last few weeks about this and one place in syd reccomended a C4 or the AOD, (hahah C4)
next place (that actually built the auto) reccomended the AOD or FMX
another place i rang wanted to sell me a C6, and said any other box wouldnt be good enough....

so some feedback on box choices please :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2005, 22:37   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: Which Auto behind the clevo, FMX or AOD

I've been through this myself. In a heavy car like yours adding forced induction will give a trans hell. You'll find as you already have it depends on who you talk, depends on whats good.

I've done the c4 thing. I'm over that. The big block users are playing with c4/c6 and powerglides. From what I'm reading the c4's although some don't want to admit are being refreshed regularly. In my case I was looking for a box I can give hell and not worry about it. I don't mind an oil change but pulling th box to freshen bands or clutches is where I go no thanks. My suituation led me to a glide as I'm leaning to more racing than street due to police presence. Then there is the otherside where for example 100-200 pass's isn't an old box especially if it needs freshening. Work how far that is in street k's. It ain't far.

The big block owners aren't really looking at AOD's. I've seen people talking about AOD's that were fine in higher hp applications provided the OD wasn't used! WTF Whats the point having it. Apparently the OD gear can't handle much abuse at all.

It's best if you make your own judgement and deal with it if it's a bad one. As intended use varies and we always want more power
Old 05-10-2005, 23:01   #3 (permalink)
XFFAIRMONT

Not saying they are better and up to the user and use of the car to i suppose. But what about a toploader or tremek tko manual box? Will withstand plenty of power.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:47   #4 (permalink)
ZK 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
The big block owners aren't really looking at AOD's. I've seen people talking about AOD's that were fine in higher hp applications provided the OD wasn't used! WTF Whats the point having it. Apparently the OD gear can't handle much abuse at all.

It's best if you make your own judgement and deal with it if it's a bad one. As intended use varies and we always want more power

Hmmm well yaeh good point, but the way i was thinking of it was i could hammer it pretty well for 1st 2nd and 3rd, and mainly use the OD for cruising and long trips...

will have to just see how it pans out i think, as much as i like the sound of 3.5's or better i might have to settle for the FMX and 3:1's, i have faith in the good old FMX, it has handled alot so far without being touched (over 2 years) auto shops tell me that 1st and 2nd gear burnouts kill them pretty good, but i have done a fair few of both and its still alive, mabey its just luck, i dunno...

i got a C4 off my mate a few years back that he was pushing me to put in, stage 3 box (whatever the hell that equates to) and 2600stall, which i am kind of uncertain of as its the standard size (physically), and most high stalls i have seen get smaller as the stall goes up, its green, and has 2600 written on it,
said he had it in a car years back and it was a good box, which is why he kept it.

but am obviously not keen to put it in, if i was it would be in there by now..

how hard to come by are C6's for small block?, and what would one expect to pay for a 2nd hand one

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFFAIRMONT
Not saying they are better and up to the user and use of the car to i suppose. But what about a toploader or tremek tko manual box? Will withstand plenty of power.
Id rather not go manual, i dont fancy changing clutches/ uni's/ Diffs any more than necessary... not to mention the price of a tremek tko.....
Old 05-11-2005, 06:58   #5 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

You would be able to find a C6 for a few hundred. I'm pretty sure they were behind 400's. Same bolt pattern as the 302/351C or you may need an adaptor to suit. The conversion is common. Any decent trans shop can put you onto the correct path.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:14   #6 (permalink)
ZK 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
You would be able to find a C6 for a few hundred. I'm pretty sure they were behind 400's. Same bolt pattern as the 302/351C or you may need an adaptor to suit. The conversion is common. Any decent trans shop can put you onto the correct path.
few hundred sounds good, not many 400's have small block bell pattern...
and when i was looking into going fmx behind the 400 i had (since been sold) the adaptor from CRS was $560, yes $560, what a rip off

the other thing is, the C6 is a longer box isnt it? so i would need to get a tail shaft shortened, so i need to note that cost as well before i make a solid decision, whats a tail shaft shortening and balance worth?

so it sounds like for the long term abuse i should probably go C6, and it will future proof the bottom end upgrades that are in the works so i can run more boost... and just settle for 3:1 gears,

as oppsed to blowing over a grand on a 4 speed auto and the extra $$ for the rear gears i dont have laying around, only to blow the box and have a hard time replacing it if i wreck it good...
Old 05-11-2005, 07:25   #7 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

hehehe money gets like that. Stop adding! Although I'm known to do it. The workshop doing some finishing off on my car nearly fell over backward when I told them what it owed me in parts so far. So hopefully they go easy on the bill! I've done majority of the work though. Just to get things moving.

Tailshaft shortening is around $100-$200 inc balance. A mate just had it done. I've just had a tailshaft built from scratch. Although I have no idea what it cost. I've been quoted $900 for a dear place to build from scratch.

I'd dare say the C6 would be longer due to motor positioning and an adaptor plate. CRS stuff is sometimes not as well setup as it's supposed to be. I've had some experience with a V8 cortina kit. It wasn't a simple as the instructions said I can tell you that much.

My last c4 ended up in lots of pieces when it blew. I was glad I'd complete a driving course. I purposely put the car in a ditch to prevent hitting anyone else.
Old 05-11-2005, 16:46   #8 (permalink)
ZK 351

well have had a think about it, and decided to stick with the FMX for the time being, due to the fact that i actually have 4 spare FMX boxes out on the farm that i can call upon if need be,
and i got an email back from a guy about the rebuild + shift kit for FMX and i can get the lot landed to my door for $300-$350, and i also have another FMX a mate has that i can rebuild (going to have a go at it myself).

only thing i am chasing now is a 2200stall (or close to that, no more than 2400)

but in the future i think i will be leaning towards the C6 option, and i will be keeping an eye out for one in the meantime and if a cheap one pops up i will grab it.

thanks for the advice given :D
Old 05-11-2005, 20:19   #9 (permalink)
New toy in the shed

If you go the C6 route you will have to make some room in the trans tunnel as the bell housing diam is bigger. This problem of FMX V C4-C10 is all way coming up. If you get the box built right it will give you years of trouble free driving. I have had a C10 in the XC for well over 10 years or so and have never had one ounce of trouble from it. The clevo puts out about 350-400 pwhp and in the time its been in there it has not had an easy life. It has never been serviced or even been out of the car in that time. The people you should talk to are the people who build and race them such as Jimmy Walton or hugos race glide now these two guys now how to build an auto.
ch7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 23:31   #10 (permalink)
Club Phantom

I'd be sticking with a C4. I had a Jack Bros built 503 horsepower 388 clevo in front of a C4 with 4000 converter for about 3 years and never had a single problem. Sold the engine box to a mate who made me look like a saint. He gave it absolute hell for another 2 years. Again, didn't touch it.

C4's will handle 500 horsepower all day. Powerglides for a clevo are an expensive conversion and although virtually unbreakable, will murder your E.T's.
COUPEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech