Autogage gauges - too many to pick - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2005, 17:23   #1 (permalink)
82XE 351c

Exclamation Autogage gauges - too many to pick

referr:
http://hp.autometer.com/products/spo...al_gauges.html

Hey all,
just about to fill the car with a couple autometer gauges,
since I have never been into making the car look like a boy racer drives it, I have never looked into gauges before now. therefore i have a couple questions before buying anything;...

is it best to go mech or elec? I am thinking elec oil pressure?
I have a autoguage tacho but they dont make a oil pressure electric in 2 5/8 to suit. I have to go Sport-Comp for the 2 5/8 elec.
looking at these ones..
all are 2 5/8 face size. I was hoping to mount them in my XE falc ashtray section, 2 5/8 correct size?

Oil Pressure 0-100 PSI ELEC part: 3352
Water Temperature 100°-250° F ELEC part: 3531
Fuel Pressure 0-15 PSI MECH part: 3411
Vacuum 30 In. Hg. MECH part: 3484

Oil pressure mounted inside
Water temp inside
faul and vacuum mounted under bonnet for tunning ease.

can anyone see any problems with the parts i have listed or maybe another may to go about this?
Have I selected the needed gauges? any others? maybe volt?

thanks clevo nuts
cheers
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2005, 17:37   #2 (permalink)
82XE 351c

Re: Autogage gauges - too many to pick

thought about it a bit more and messured up, 2 1/16 might look better inside car, here are numbers
Oil Pressure 0-100 PSI ELEC part: 21/6 -3327 $
Water Temperature 100°-250° F ELEC part: 21/6 -3337
Fuel Pressure 0-15 PSI MECH part: 21/6 -3311
Vacuum 30 In. Hg. MECH part: 21/6 -3384

thx all
Old 04-10-2005, 17:43   #3 (permalink)

[QUOTE=pracy]referr:

I went mechanical sport-comp 2 5/8" for both temp & oil pressure,with chrome cups and pro-comp for the tacho 5" with memory recall and a seperate shift light that you fit pills to. my understanding is that mechanical guages are more accurate, as for the style you choose the list is endless and comes down to personal taste.
xb351coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 22:40   #4 (permalink)

If you can fit them, the larger 2 5/8 are easier to read. Mechanical gauges are best (take a little longer to install), but the electrics will work fine.

If you're only mounting a fuel pressure gauge under the bonnet, you don't use one of these large expensive dash mounted gauges. There are small 1 1/2" specific fuel press gauges for mounting near the carby.

This is the fuel gauge you need..........or one like it. Are you using an electric pump? (ie: want to set reg pressure or just see if your mechanical pump is keeping up at high revs?............if so, you won't see it when you need it).

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...58&prmenbr=361

These liquid filled Jeg ones are good. US$20.

Just another point...........the original fuel press gauge you mentioned comes with an isolator. This allows you to mount the gauge inside your car without fuel going to the gauge. If you're only mounting it under the bonnet, you won't need this part.

Look into mounting a gauge holder panel where the centre dash speaker sits on the XD/E. I'll find a pic for you later.

Voltmeter gauges are quite handy. It's saved my bacon several times. Hows the ALT system operating? You can see and anticipate electrical problems and monitor system load.

Style: what ever excites you.

The 5" tachos mount very securely on the drivers side pillar...........make sure screws go into steel, not just plastic. Screwing them to the dash allows them to vibrate heaps.

WRT the vacuum gauge, you can get handheld ones that plug into the carby base plate when tuning...........then remove when finished.
Old 04-11-2005, 16:35   #5 (permalink)
82XE 351c

I ordered a mech 100psi oil gauge, I didnt notice at first but even the increments are better on the mech gauges,
what fitting will i need to buy to run this gauge/
also can i have the factory elec one still running?
Old 04-11-2005, 16:49   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pracy
I ordered a mech 100psi oil gauge, I didnt notice at first but even the increments are better on the mech gauges,
what fitting will i need to buy to run this gauge/
also can i have the factory elec one still running?

The guage should come with the fittings required, to run both guages I purchased a T-peice adaptor that scewed into the block where the existing sender screwed in and then ran both guages from that, your local auto store should be able to order one for you, about $10 I think.
xb351coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech