BAD oil leak all of the sudden (1977 302) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 21:11   #1 (permalink)

confused BAD oil leak all of the sudden (1977 302)

I was bringing the boat back to life for a fishing trip next weekend and she sprung a terrible oil leak while I was warming it up today. The odd thing is that 3 years ago I replaced the exhaust manifolds after the old ones leaked water into the cylinders and it hyrdra-locked. After replacing them, I flushed the engine, put in all new oil, ran it, changed the oil again, and ran it for quite a while. Then put it in storage. That was the last time it ran and there was NO oil leak at all.
Fast forward 3 years and we are at today. I started it, ran it up to temperature and noticed that it is leaking oil terribly under the fuel pump / under the oil filter. It seems like it might be coming out of the corner of the oil pan maybe?
It only leaks the oil when it is running. Never in my life have I heard of "blowing an oil pan gasket". Weird.
Any ideas at all?

Please advise - have a vacation planned in a week

UPDATE- Darn Darn Darn! I just checked the oil filter. Removed, inspected, and reinstalled. Same exact thing. Dripping, about 2 drips/second when its running. Nothing when shut off. When I try to follow the drip up with my hand, there is a forward facing bolt there and then I felt the spinning balancer. I have worked on various engines my entire life - I've never seen one "spring a leak" like this....
partenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2010, 04:59   #2 (permalink)

Re: BAD oil leak all of the sudden (1977 302)

I'd check the oil pressure switch, fuel pump gasket, and lower corner of timing cover. If the cover gasket blew, sometimes you can silicone it.
chuckltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:29   #3 (permalink)

Re: BAD oil leak all of the sudden (1977 302)

I've heard of end gaskets blowing out if the PCV sytem isn't working properly.
George1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech