Blowing White Smoke - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2005, 05:18   #1 (permalink)

Blowing White Smoke

Ive just changed camshafts and reinstalled my 4v cylinder heads.
The engine started straight away and ran well for around 5 mins. The engine then made a severe pinging noise whilst idling. A similiar noise to when your engine runs on after youv'e turned the ignition off.
The engine continued to idle but started blowing white smoke.

I stopped the engine pulled the plugs only to find them covered in oil. I removed the extractors and the exhaust ports were also full of oil.
I removed the heads again and replaced the head gaskets, checked and cleaned them and then reinstalled them.
Still blows smoke, it is worse when the engine is under load going up a hill etc.

Valve and ignition timing appears correct.
Heads were serviced with new teflon seals.
Valves adjusted to specs.
Piston to valve clearance was checked.
Inlet manifold has sealed correctly.
Manual trans, no auto fluid to leak in to the engine.

Other then a compression test and leak down test is there any thing else that Ive missed?
Any help at this stage is much appreciated.
CRUISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2005, 05:35   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: Blowing White Smoke

Oil will cause detonation. You just have to figure out where it's coming from. It may be the rings?
Old 06-23-2005, 06:03   #3 (permalink)
ESP Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUISIN
Ive just changed camshafts and reinstalled my 4v cylinder heads.
The engine started straight away and ran well for around 5 mins. The engine then made a severe pinging noise whilst idling. A similiar noise to when your engine runs on after youv'e turned the ignition off.
The engine continued to idle but started blowing white smoke.

I stopped the engine pulled the plugs only to find them covered in oil. I removed the extractors and the exhaust ports were also full of oil.
I removed the heads again and replaced the head gaskets, checked and cleaned them and then reinstalled them.
Still blows smoke, it is worse when the engine is under load going up a hill etc.

Valve and ignition timing appears correct.
Heads were serviced with new teflon seals.
Valves adjusted to specs.
Piston to valve clearance was checked.
Inlet manifold has sealed correctly.
Manual trans, no auto fluid to leak in to the engine.

Other then a compression test and leak down test is there any thing else that Ive missed?
Any help at this stage is much appreciated.
From what you have written you have not followed normal "new Camshaft" run in procedure. It is normal camshaft manufacturers instruction to start the motor and immediatlely take it to 2000 -2500 rpm for 20 mins, preferably after having primed the oil system before starting. A new cam means new lifters should have been installed. Again, I am only going by what is written.

Is there any sign of metal in the oil?

Oil can only be getting by the rings if everything else is OK (valve guides, seals) . If it wasn't blowing smoke before the cam change why would it suddenly be doing it now? Did you work the heads? Higher compression or different heads. Did you remove the pistons from the bores and damage the rings re-installing them?
A compression test will reveal more.

Full details of anything else you did/changed (if any) is required before any more suggestions can be made
Old 06-23-2005, 06:29   #4 (permalink)

Cam shaft is a solid roller (I should have mentioned this) with new roller lifters.
No sign of metal in the oil, pistons were not touched.
I suspect that it may be a ring problem but what concerns me is the oil is on every plug and both exhausts pipes are blowing white smoke.

I was told cam timing could cause this problem if it was out far enough.
I did use a degree wheel.
Id also suspect the valve seals but from what Ive read they wouldnt pass enough oil to create the large amount of smoke.

Comp test is next, thanks for the replies so far.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:46   #5 (permalink)
ESP Man

Quote:
Cam shaft is a solid roller (I should have mentioned this) with new roller lifters.
No sign of metal in the oil, pistons were not touched.
I suspect that it may be a ring problem but what concerns me is the oil is on every plug and both exhausts pipes are blowing white smoke.

I was told cam timing could cause this problem if it was out far enough.
I did use a degree wheel.
Id also suspect the valve seals but from what Ive read they wouldnt pass enough oil to create the large amount of smoke.

Comp test is next, thanks for the replies so far.
Good! I was worried you may have lunched your engine (like I did!) with your cam change.
A solid roller eh - serious bit of gear!
Sounds like your wheels will be off the road a bit longer! Rebore, new pistons and rings, stroker crank & H beam rods. Bring it oooon Clevo bro!
Old 06-23-2005, 06:54   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynet
Good! I was worried you may have lunched your engine (like I did!) with your cam change.
A solid roller eh - serious bit of gear!
Sounds like your wheels will be off the road a bit longer! Rebore, new pistons and rings, stroker crank & H beam rods. Bring it oooon Clevo bro!
No problems Shaynet, I just need your credit card number and exp date.
At worst if it is rings I want to just drop the sump, replace the broken rings and get on with it. the bore was unmarked when I had the heads off.

Id be interested to hear if cam timing could be the problem.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:08   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
No problems Shaynet, I just need your credit card number and exp date.
At worst if it is rings I want to just drop the sump, replace the broken rings and get on with it. the bore was unmarked when I had the heads off.

Id be interested to hear if cam timing could be the problem.
You say its in all the cylinders? All the rings wouldn't mysteriously break would they?

The only other place oil can get into the cylinders is from the intake ports. Poorly fitting manifold or gaskits allow oil to get sucked up from the oil valley due to manifold vacuum. You's see this easily when the manifold is removed (oily gaskits and intake runners).

Hope its an easy fix for you.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:20   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
You say its in all the cylinders? All the rings wouldn't mysteriously break would they?

The only other place oil can get into the cylinders is from the intake ports. Poorly fitting manifold or gaskits allow oil to get sucked up from the oil valley due to manifold vacuum. You's see this easily when the manifold is removed (oily gaskits and intake runners).

Hope its an easy fix for you.

Thanks TruBlue351, yep thats what I first thought the problem was but the intake ports are spotless. All the oil is in the cylinders and exhaust ports.

Its got to be valve guides/seals, oil ring(s) or cam timing maybe..
Old 06-23-2005, 07:38   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks TruBlue351, yep thats what I first thought the problem was but the intake ports are spotless. All the oil is in the cylinders and exhaust ports.

Its got to be valve guides/seals, oil ring(s) or cam timing maybe..
Have you pulled a few valves? Do the stems or tops of valve heads look excessively oily?

Will be interesting to see what the comp test reveals.

[edit] just a guess.....could those lifters etc cause excessive oiling in the rockers?
Old 06-23-2005, 18:02   #10 (permalink)
Slurry Boostin

Try going back to basics some more.

Is the engine overfull of oil?

Were the heads ported while they were off? Decked?

You say that the engine sounded like it was pinging. Any damage to a piston/s?

Pinging can cause oil to be introduced into the cylinder. Very common with trubo'd engines.

What plugs are you running?
VS 215i Senator *For Sale*
TTNOS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech