Is this brand any good? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2006, 02:43   #1 (permalink)

Question Is this brand any good?

Just wondering if anyone knows if this brand is anygood, as they are pretty well priced for forged rods and crank.

eBay.au: FORD CLEVELAND 351 TO 377 STEEL CRANK AND H BEAM RODS (item 280015868041 end time 15-Aug-06 19:21:31 AEST)
F399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2006, 02:50   #2 (permalink)

Re: Is this brand any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F399
Just wondering if anyone knows if this brand is anygood, as they are pretty well priced for forged rods and crank.

eBay.au: FORD CLEVELAND 351 TO 377 STEEL CRANK AND H BEAM RODS (item 280015868041 end time 15-Aug-06 19:21:31 AEST)
I,m not sure if the parts themselves have anything wrong with them . The only thing that concerns me is the length of the conrod at 6.2 inches. This would require a piston with an extremely short pin height (1.175 inches)

To top it off it would require a custom piston as none of the piston manufacturers would have that in stock to suit a cleveland. I am building a stroker at the moment with the same 3.75 inch stroke but i,m using 6.125 inch rods and an off the shelf Probe piston. You may even gtet away with a six inch rod.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:35   #3 (permalink)

Exclamation Re: Is this brand any good?

What I have Heard From some of the big boys at VPW , Superplus That it all comes from the same factory in china.If you have a look on Ebay you will see CAT rockers ect. They are of very poor Quality so I,m told So I would stay clear away from that stuff! and go with what Russ had to say! the Probe is great stuff and well priced. you can get most full strocker kits from VPW SUPERPLUS just to name a few good luck on your build mate.
XD_ESP XELR8! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:14   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Superplus and VPW have a vested interest to say it's bad stuff. For normal applications ie not stupidly high rpm or high hp they'd be fine. 6.2" rods really require a 9.5" deck block. 6.125" is about the max for a 9.2" clevo block.

I bought the same stuff that VPW and Superplus sell for much cheaper else where. I quite like Superplus generally they look after myself and my mates. I know I've spent somewhere between $2500-$5000 there but I do shop around No sense wasting my money.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:33   #5 (permalink)

my concern is people are making 450 to 500 horsepower with stock crank and rods are these crank and rods going to be better than stock stuff because im thinking of buyng the 383 cast steel crank for $350 and $300 dollars for 6 inch rods.does any one know of anybody thats used these cranks and rods
silver fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:39   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

yes there is one user doing a 383 using that brand crank. Clevo cranks just don't fail. They're thicker than any other engines crank. I wouldn't recommend shoving a 200-300hp shot of n2o into one though. I'm sure the crank would make a reliable 500hp with a 100hp shot of n2o. Too many cast clevo cranks doing it for them not to.
Old 08-11-2006, 17:03   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
yes there is one user doing a 383 using that brand crank.
This guy has second thooughts and has listed the cast crank for sale and going with a forged set up. It would have been good to see how it went, as i recon they would be quite strong.
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 17:38   #8 (permalink)

I had the crank for sale ,but i,m going to use it. I entertained the thought of going to a 4340 crank but i,m not sure if its warranted with my intended power level. I,m shooting for ~550 hp . I,m sure it will be fine at that level. If not then its going to be an expensive mistake.
BTW,my crank is not a CAT product. I,m using one of the units from procomp with 3.75 inch stroke.
I,ve not heard good things about the CAT products(or for that matter Procomp) and personally would stay away from either manufacturers 'moving' parts such as roller rockers. The cranks are probably fine though the prices on ebay for those pieces are not that well priced . An Eagle 4340 crank which is a proven unit will run $950. That guy sells the CAT cranks for $850 without rods.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 21:25   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russxr67
I had the crank for sale ,but i,m going to use it. I entertained the thought of going to a 4340 crank but i,m not sure if its warranted with my intended power level. I,m shooting for ~550 hp . I,m sure it will be fine at that level. If not then its going to be an expensive mistake.
BTW,my crank is not a CAT product. I,m using one of the units from procomp with 3.75 inch stroke.
I,ve not heard good things about the CAT products(or for that matter Procomp) and personally would stay away from either manufacturers 'moving' parts such as roller rockers. The cranks are probably fine though the prices on ebay for those pieces are not that well priced . An Eagle 4340 crank which is a proven unit will run $950. That guy sells the CAT cranks for $850 without rods.
Spot on russ I have seen many of the CAT stuff from years ago! Some places even still have old "CAT" stuff sitting there not sold?At the start I was hoping CAT was the CAT I no and they make wicked machiney! hehe but this stuff isnt "the CAT we now"anyway People are going to Dis Procomp 100% "Why" its to cheep! and not bad stuff so i,m told?not good but no bad eather"I wouldnt go neer it in my veiw Long live the 4MA< XELR8
XD_ESP XELR8! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech