C or W - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 11:53   #1 (permalink)

C or W

Hi guys can anyone tell by looking at this picture if it is a cleveland or a windsor its in a 70 Galaxie, i just bought it and have not phisicaly been to the car yet,

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqN,!hME3vRMqSjuBONKUebc4!~~0_12.jpg (42.4 KB, 12 views)
dieselduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 18:46   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: C or W

It's a little difficult to tell just from that pic but it looks like a Windsor to me.

Count the rocker cover bolts. A Windsor has 6 and a Cleveland has 8. If you can show a pic of the thermostat housing area then there is a difference there. The Cleveland has a snout on the front of the block that houses the timing chain and has the thermostat housing on it and the Windsor has a removeable aluminium casing that houses the timing chain.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-07-2011, 20:02   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Lance i will see when i get the car, i got it off of ebay 1970 Galaxie , we will see when i get it here and add some pictures of the car also , i will be happy with either one specs on a 70 351 W 4 barel i think are 300 Hp and 365 lbs Trq its all good to me

Thanks
Jim
dieselduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 23:25   #4 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

The Windsor is a great motor and has plenty of aftermarket parts still available.

Will be great to see some pic's of your new beast too :)
Old 09-11-2011, 17:42   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Block Ford View Post
It's a little difficult to tell just from that pic but it looks like a Windsor to me.

Count the rocker cover bolts. A Windsor has 6 and a Cleveland has 8. If you can show a pic of the thermostat housing area then there is a difference there. The Cleveland has a snout on the front of the block that houses the timing chain and has the thermostat housing on it and the Windsor has a removeable aluminium casing that houses the timing chain.

Hope this helps.
The easy way is to say the W has the thermostat in the intake & the C has it on the block. Why worry about the number of cover bolts, fuel pump bolts verticle or horizontal or any of the other difficult to remember or see ways?
George1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 22:27   #6 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by George1861 View Post
The easy way is to say the W has the thermostat in the intake & the C has it on the block. Why worry about the number of cover bolts, fuel pump bolts verticle or horizontal or any of the other difficult to remember or see ways?
Fair enough George but that explanation has been used before and has still resulted in some confusion and the rocker cover bolts have sorted it.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:58   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Block Ford View Post
Fair enough George but that explanation has been used before and has still resulted in some confusion and the rocker cover bolts have sorted it.
Still can't see how it's easier to remember the number of bolts vs where the thermostat is, but what ever works for you!
George1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 22:07   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by George1861 View Post
Still can't see how it's easier to remember the number of bolts vs where the thermostat is, but what ever works for you!
I agree. other easy way for W or C motor is the Cleveland fuel pump has the bolts verticle, on top of each other, and the Windsor has them side by side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech