cam choice - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2005, 17:55   #1 (permalink)

cam choice

hi there, i need some educated advice on cam choice wat will work in this combo, 351 cleveland, cc heads now dunno if u need flow numbers on heads but they hav estimated 470hp, now it's efi and i think efi needs smaller duration, max rpm will be 6000-6500, street driven wif heaps of squirts. any ideas on cam spec for an efi setup?? wat should i be lookin 4?
Thanks
ziggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2005, 18:09   #2 (permalink)

Re: cam choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggs
hi there, i need some educated advice on cam choice wat will work in this combo, 351 cleveland, cc heads now dunno if u need flow numbers on heads but they hav estimated 470hp, now it's efi and i think efi needs smaller duration, max rpm will be 6000-6500, street driven wif heaps of squirts. any ideas on cam spec for an efi setup?? wat should i be lookin 4?
Thanks
Ziggs you dont say if it is auto or mannual or what diff gears you have. Working with what we know go with 226/232 at .050 112 l/c with around the .550" lift .If you want something like this send me a pm and l will give you my number ALKY
ALKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 19:07   #3 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

That or a crane F238 solid would work well.

[edit]This is the setup using the Crane F238 we had or still have infact.

351 +30.
Full floating pistons (Keith Blacks).
10.5:1 compression.
F238 Crane.
750dp carb pn 4779.
Weiand Xcellerator.
Distributor is a motorcraft item without vac advance which is being changed to XD/XE/ICE ignitions style dizzy with an MSD 6AL powering it.
2V CC heads flowing 494hp (2.19/1.71 exhaust valves) Goes against the grain but it works. Screw in studs, stud mount roller rockers, guideplates & pushrods to suit.
No name Tri Y extractors withs a 2 1/2" system, H pipe and straight though mufflers.
C4 stage II shift kitted.
3500rpm convertor.
4.11 gears.

The owners a been a pain in the arse when it comes to getting the car with this engine to the strip. Took 9 years to convince him. although he ran his other car without a second thought. It's made 250rwkw@6300rpm and ran 13.2@102mph in a 2050kg car on a street tyre(retread). The engines now in a 1500kg car and I'm still struggling to get him to race it! I've even offered to drive it. I personally think it was a high 12sec car in the 2050kg car. I now think it'll run low to mid 12's in the 1500kg car. It may even dip into the high 11's if at the strip on the right night.

I think Crow make a similar hydraulic cam that makes the same power via 4V heads from memory they may be 2V's. It's been awhile since I've seen the car or spoke to the owner.
Old 07-14-2005, 16:04   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKY
Ziggs you dont say if it is auto or mannual or what diff gears you have. Working with what we know go with 226/232 at .050 112 l/c with around the .550" lift .If you want something like this send me a pm and l will give you my number ALKY

sorri mate been away since the post. it's manual and has 3.5:1 9inch in the rear. is the one ur talkin of a hydralic cam? roller? thanks mate
Old 07-14-2005, 17:30   #5 (permalink)

We need to know what kind of injection and management your are using. Is it programmable?

Is it a street only car?
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 05:14   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer
We need to know what kind of injection and management your are using. Is it programmable?

Is it a street only car?
ye it's a street car wif the occasional run for fun so to speak. I'm using wolf 3d version 4 so it's fully programable both iginition and fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech