Ford Forums banner

cam choice

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  1XYGTHO 
#1 ·
what hyd cam choice would u choose for
xbcoupe, 4 spd, 3.25 rear end cruiser, 351, 2v open chamber heads with some minor portwork, 3.5:1 comp, try y pipes , efi tunnel ram , am running hyd roller cam
212 216 at 50 dur,
506 508 lift
112 lobe sep
have problem with stick & want to go bigger

#2 ·
Yeah well that cam is pretty small, more a torquer style cam than high HP.

Suggest you change to a solid roller or solid mechanical and go no less than 230 duration and get the lift upto nearly 600". You need that much for bigger HP, if your heads, carb and exhaust are upto scratch.

My cam is solid mechanical with 248/258 duration, .590/.606 lift still not a huge cam very streetable and good to cruise with.

#3 ·
Dude, I can't relly recommend a cam unless you mention what you want to do with the car. Here's a couple of questions that will assist to make a determination about cam choice.

Is this essentially a cruiser?
Do you want to race it?
What other mods are you prepared to make to the engine?
Are you willing to change your diff gears?
Want to change your pipes?
Do you want to keep is as it is, but change just change the cam for a little better performance?
Is this a Cleveland or Windsor engine? I take it its a Windsor due to the Hydralic Roller and EFI...
What compression ratio? You stated 3:5.1... Did you leave out a number dude?
What valves are you running?
Do you know what HP/Flow the heads are making at all? When you say ported heads, how much work have they had (Just general cleanup ports, or something more substantial)
Do you want to stick with your hydralic roller or go with Solid Roller/Solid mechanical cam?
Are you fussed aout drivability and fuel efficiancy?

Speak soon

Troy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.