Cam I.D and timing - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2007, 00:47   #1 (permalink)

Cam I.D and timing

Can anyone please tell me how to I.D a cam that I have just pulled out. There is no logo just some numbers, the numbers are 29 10 87 that Im assuming is date there is also another group of numbers 590 and the loabes are 43.5mm at the largest diamiter.

Also I would like to know how to time the cam when I put it back. In the past I have done this in a vaery crude way by getting the number 1 piston to tdc then setting the timing just by eye. can some one please tell me how to do it properly.

thanks
Keita is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 15:40   #2 (permalink)

Re: Cam I.D and timing

There are marks (dots) on the crank sprocket and cam sprocket for alignment. Cam pin is usually straight down and crank keyway will be nearly straight up. They all have the dots on them, aftermarket sets sometimes have + or - 4 degree marks. You more than likely want to run it straight up.

The (proper) way to do it is by using a degree wheel to locate the actual centerline. They say its the nature of the beast to be off a hair for various manufacturing reasons.
Old 04-08-2007, 15:04   #3 (permalink)
wizardry

Re: Cam I.D and timing

just remember that if your putting a new chain set in set it 2deg advanced from the dot to dot method so when the chain streches and settels in it will be true dot to dot or center to center
wizardry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech