Ford Forums banner

camtech camshaft dialing in

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  hof 351 
#1 ·
I have a camtech lpg hyd camshaft 351 were do i take my inlet valve opening lift reading, is it as soon as the dial indicator moves, or 6 thou or at 50 thou?
cam card says intake opens 22 tdc and shuts at 60 bdc
cam lift 302 in 300 out duration @50 in 216 ex 228
lift at tdc 52 " what does lift at tdc mean ?
cam card says to dial in use tdc figure
do i take 52 " and that should be my opening?
any help would be great for me xe purple fmx 2 75 lsd lpg ute

#2 ·
hi hof351, make sure you use a solid lifter to start with, then you can check both 6" and 50". then using the dial gauge get the piston at tdc, top dead centre. then fix the cam wheel at zero. and put the dial gauge on the valve side of the rocker and move until 6" and or 50" lift. then check the cam card for specs.. once you do it once it only gets easier. good luck..

#3 ·
hof 351 said:
I
lift at tdc 52 " what does lift at tdc mean ?
It may be missing a prefix. Usually it is "ATDC or BTDC" in degrees etc. I would check with the cam company, or do some checks at 50 thou and see what you come up with. It may match what you have. This is what the card should have. I allways use the 50thou figure for degreeing cam.

Cam Timing: TAPPET @.050
Lift: Opens Closes Max Lift Duration
Intake 18 BTDC 48 ABDC 103 246 °
Exhaust 59 BBDC 17 ATDC 113 256 °

Can you scan the card and post it, or atleast give us all the details off it exactly?

#4 ·
The thing that caught my eye was "Camtech LPG". I still remember walking into camtech and asking for an LPG cam for a 351C. The bloke told me there is no such thing as an LPG cam, and he can't understand why people keep asking for them. He reckoned that there is NO DIFFERENCE between a petrol angine and an LPG one. After a small argument I told him what to do with his camshafts and left.

So, either they have realised the error of their ways, or they are still selling "mild hyd" cams as "will suit LPG".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.