Ford Forums banner

Car decisions - please help

6K views 56 replies 27 participants last post by  XDman 
#1 ·
Hi all

Im really stuck between a rock and a hard place with my car decisions at the moment. Currently i have a nice XD (needs a bit of body work) with toploader and a nine inch ( i was thinkin project car..). Now i could spend around 8 grand on this bitch to get it goin hard, or i could sell that falcon. That will put me out of pocket a car but with around 4.5k cash. i was thinkin if i save and get an early model xr6, and turbo it. Im torn between havin a nice oldschool falcon and a newer riced up falcon. im not exactly sure whether i want to sell it or turn it into a street machine..

Please help!!!

#5 ·
I have been fortunate enough to go in the JMM supercharged EF XR6 and believe me when I say a forced induction staright six goes off. I have also been in a turbocharged EA, and it makes you wonder why we work on the old V8's. Get rid of the old girl and by a new school car. Make sure you look around and get the right advice before you start.

#6 ·
XDman said:
Hi all

Im really stuck between a rock and a hard place with my car decisions at the moment. Currently i have a nice XD (needs a bit of body work) with toploader and a nine inch ( i was thinkin project car..). Now i could spend around 8 grand on this bitch to get it goin hard, or i could sell that falcon. That will put me out of pocket a car but with around 4.5k cash. i was thinkin if i save and get an early model xr6, and turbo it. Im torn between havin a nice oldschool falcon and a newer riced up falcon. im not exactly sure whether i want to sell it or turn it into a street machine..

Please help!!!
Buy an XD with a good body. The newer XR6's are a bit of a dispointment and you will suffer from depreciation.

#7 ·
xbgs, that might be true, but im gonna keep this car for a long time (newer xr6) cause im going to fully rebuild and blow it. Should be interesting... Ive got 6k on my falcon out the front of my house, hopefully i get that for it, would be shweeet! only another 5k to save.. then another 7k for the turbo setup... things we do for cars these days.. :D

#8 ·
I would give you another perspective XDman.

Having had the same XD for 12 years and spending soo much money on it - some people think I'm crazy, but the rewards are worth it in my view!

To customise your own car is an awesome experience. If you are the sort of person that enjoys being a bit different from the mainstream, and can see that owning a custom or hotted car as "art" and lifestyle, as well as functional, then go for it and keep your XD.

If you are the sort of guy that just enjoys a great driving experience then sell the XD and get something much more reliable, efficient and practical.

Either way, follow your own heart and not the opinions of others.

#10 ·
another thing to consider is that whatever you do all it takes is for you to samsh it or someone to smash into you and write it off and its all gone...all those hard earned $$$ down the drain.
not really an advantage either way but keep that in the back of your mind for either car you decide on. point is if you cant get insurance on what you do then dont do it coz you will eventually lose it one way or another.

#11 ·
yes, like xd351 said, theres nothin that sounds like a old skool V8.. but i have been wanting a newer car (better interior, better looks) for a while now. Believe me its gonna be one of the hardest things to do is to sell my xd. Ive had it for around 8 years now. Its treated me well. What are your opinions on selling the xd and getting an EF xr6, then turbochargin it. I do want to be different, this is why i want to blow my xr6....
Well, it all depends on the buyers hands now, and it will be a regretful sale..

#12 ·
Old skool rules. There aint no substitue for cubic inches and if you wanna keep the car for a long time nothing lasts quite like a V8. Hairdryers are for hairdressers. BTW Do people still pay $4500 for Xds????

#13 ·
put it in the shed and get yourself a late model cruise/work bus.that way you have all the luxo you want but when you feel like going for a rev/cruise you can whip out the old xd and give it heaps,and if it breaks something you can just put it back in shed and drive luxo work/cruise car.
ny rule has always been old nice car for revving, something with air/steer,cruise for work. that way you get your cake and can eat it to so to speak.

#14 ·
My only advise is don't modify your daily driver. As it'll break and leave you stranded when you need it least. ie on the way to work.

Best to get a stocker for work and keep the XD to play with.

Brenden

#17 ·
Long live the mighty XD! Actually, I paid $4500 five years ago (Fairmont Ghia).

Dude, what are your thinking! The D is 26 years old and still going strong. Mine is "reliable, efficient and practical", I don't know why my wife doesn't belive me!

Take your 7K dream for a turbo set up and cash in on some 3V alloys, you'll need to put the change into your motor though (it will cost you $$ either way). You WILL miss the old girl, and their is NO substitute for a V8. You have to listen to your conscience and do the RIGHT thing in my unbiased opinion.

You have the 9" and toploader, excellent starting point (I'd be scared of breaking the XR6). You said you want to save another 12K to make a 6 pot go fast?? I'd go for the 3V any day. You after a racer or a cruiser?

Anyway, that's my 2c worth. Cars are very individual things whichever path you take is the right one. Here's some appetite wetters!

#18 ·
mada_3083 said:
better looks in a newer car, why i ought to.... xd (maybe xe) was the last truely great looking falk in my opinion.
Yeah XDs might have been the last good-looking Ford made. (A lot of people say that about the EL) But the last classic shaped ford was the XC. No XD will ever pull looks or grins like a good XC (or earlier) Ford. The chrome, timeless retro styling, bulky excess and ineffiecinet use of space. When I first got my GXL it was a car "old Greek men drove" now its a classic.
XCsideedit.jpg

Attachments

#19 ·
DONT sell the d you will miss it but if u do i have a mate that has an ef thats painted in optical effects with 18inch wheels custom interior its got a six with an xr6 head goes hard na or he will put one of his turbo intercooled versions on for depending on what sought of boost you want to run

#20 ·
Too mutch plastic now days,,but after 8 years your probly just whanting something different,,a turbo ef would boogy, but just make sure you get the car you really whant , ive found cars to be anoying to sell if you change your mind.

Cheers am

#22 ·
im only 17... Having 2 cars and paying rego and insurance on 10k a year wont cut it, plus modifying. Im thinkin about converting the thirsty eight to an XF turbo 6. That way i can bomb the shit outta the motor, not worrying about the drivetrain breakin too often. That way i get to keep my XD, i really do love this car. Its like a dream to drive in its own oldskool way. SUCH A HARD DECISION!!!... bang for buck wise, do you think a turbo 6 (completely rebuilt with low compression, good internals, new ECU, intercooled) would go hard... I want around 300kw on tap when i wanna get nasty. Would it be achievable relatively easily?

Thanks in advance, this is a great thread!

#23 ·
XDman said:
im only 17... Having 2 cars and paying rego and insurance on 10k a year wont cut it, plus modifying. Im thinkin about converting the thirsty eight to an XF turbo 6. That way i can bomb the shit outta the motor, not worrying about the drivetrain breakin too often. That way i get to keep my XD, i really do love this car. Its like a dream to drive in its own oldskool way. SUCH A HARD DECISION!!!... bang for buck wise, do you think a turbo 6 (completely rebuilt with low compression, good internals, new ECU, intercooled) would go hard... I want around 300kw on tap when i wanna get nasty. Would it be achievable relatively easily?

Thanks in advance, this is a great thread!
I dont spose that 10K a year strecthes to private health insurance either? Think of the people who have to pay yours and other's hospital bills when the "getting nasty" goes horribly wrong. 200Kw is plenty for a novice.

#24 ·
*cough*

#25 ·
xcgxl said:
I dont spose that 10K a year strecthes to private health insurance either? Think of the people who have to pay yours and other's hospital bills when the "getting nasty" goes horribly wrong. 200Kw is plenty for a novice.
Maybe he would just go "horribly right". This is a REALLY narrow point of view bud...

Don't lose sight of common sense and the fact that 99.9% of things go right for most folk, and that accidents and problems of the like you are eluding to are actually the extreme minority in real life.

You should watch more Simpson's episodes xcgxl and less news. Get over it because when you think like this you're more likely to contribute to accidents happening from being paranoid. :insane:

#26 ·
XDman said:
Nothing like getting kicked in the nuts, huh?

Seriously, when I was 14 I built a 500 HP 392 Hemi. Rode it as hard as it would go. I think that the point trying to be made above is that it can be easy for a young person to make errors in judgment that can cause problems for them and others when things don't go well. Knowing when to use the power you seek is as important as having it available when you want it. It isn't like you are the cause all of the social problems with a country the size of Australia anyway.

With a vote of confidence like the one you received, it is a wonder that you aren't looking for a rice burner with a coffee can attached to its ass. My point is that anyone building up a real engine like a Cleveland should be congratulated for having the balls to stand in the face of adversity, not get kicked there for wanting it to run in such fashion.

It doesn't sound like you're on the way overboard either. So, have some fun and disregard the not-so-glorious bits you pick up along the way.

:davis:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.