Carborator set up. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2007, 17:29   #1 (permalink)
Eliminator

Carborator set up.

Hey guys i'm trying to find the most efficient carburetor for my 70 cougar 351C. I'm planning on going with an aluminum air gap Intake Manifold.
Mustang Parts from Mustangs Plus: 1970-73 Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap 351C Manifold non-EGR (1500-6500 rpm)

The thing i don't understand is how can you tell that the Carburetor will line up with the IM? I heard about a 600-650 cfm is a good range for the 351c but i wanted to see what you guys recommended and had the most luck with. Also a question on the side I was looking up a comp cam for the car does anyone know whats the max. Duration for the cams on these motors while still maintaining power brakes? Thanks for the help guys!

Torque it's whats for dinner.
70_cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2007, 01:55   #2 (permalink)

Re: Carborator set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70_cougar
Hey guys i'm trying to find the most efficient carburetor for my 70 cougar 351C. I'm planning on going with an aluminum air gap Intake Manifold.

The thing i don't understand is how can you tell that the Carburetor will line up with the IM? I heard about a 600-650 cfm is a good range for the 351c but i wanted to see what you guys recommended and had the most luck with. Also a question on the side I was looking up a comp cam for the car does anyone know whats the max. Duration for the cams on these motors while still maintaining power brakes? Thanks for the help guys!
Cool car man. Some more info on what it's got would help. E.g. auto/man?,
diff gears, pipes, heads, cam and what sort of use do you want to give it.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:01   #3 (permalink)
Eliminator

It's an Fmx tranny but i'm planning on switching over to a C4 I hear there alot better for street/strip use. currently have 2.73 gears planning on going with around 3.73 gears in the future. Looking for the lowend for strip but i would still like to keep my gasmilage in the teens. =] Staying with the 2v heads. I'm currently running straight pipes and stock manifold but will looking for headers very soon, I'm not possitive but i'm pretty sure that it's runnuing the stock cams... does anyone know the specs on those? what what would some of you guys recomend for cams. most Hipo cams i see are for high compression heads like the quench 4v that i just sold but i'm planning on stay with the 2v heads.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:22   #4 (permalink)

I don't know cams your US engines run but the 4V CC (quench) head here runs approx. .480 lift and 192 dur @ .050". They run split/different intake and exhaust phasing to suit the different size ports.

I prefer 600 cfm carb for mild/stock engines (300 - 350 hp) and 750 cfm (both vac sec) above that.
Have a look at about the first and second smallest Crane cam and then compare others with that. It should give decent economy and will make the car run better across the whole rev range.

If you don't care about fuel economy then the cams would be different again.
Old 02-02-2007, 15:08   #5 (permalink)
Eliminator

Thanks man I was thinking about the 750cfm I am looking 450-500hp and as far as cams go I dont have the quench heads I'd rather stick with the 2v for now. and whats fuel econonmy? ha like i bought this car for the fuel consumption let me tell ya. lol

Old 02-02-2007, 16:00   #6 (permalink)

In that case a bigger cam, convertor and 750 will go real well with those 3.7 gears.
Old 02-10-2007, 20:21   #7 (permalink)
Eliminator

Most cam set ups i can find are for the high compression quench heads. anyone know where i can get a good set up for the 2v low comp. Looking for a mean street/strip cam

Old 02-14-2007, 11:56   #8 (permalink)
78fordman

I would Say a 750 CFM With a preformer Intake from edlebrock... since you say your gonna get headers..A nice cam for this setup would be part number 32-224-4 From comp cams This cam is great for mild street cars . Stock converter, 3.30-4.0 gear, headers. and has a nice Mild-Rough Idle..And comes with kits..It is a nice cam for these low CR engines.. I know what you mean When your talking 4v heads and Gas prices OUCH!!!
But also if your talkin 500Hp I would upgrade Heads and CR components like pistons and bigger Cams..
78fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 20:05   #9 (permalink)
Eliminator

I believe i found a good cam kit but I thought that 2V Cleveland was prone to floating a valve at higher revs, will these help prevent that or would new valves be a must?

Intake manifold
Mustang Parts from Mustangs Plus: 1970-73 Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap 351C Manifold non-EGR (1500-6500 rpm)

Cams
eBay Motors: Comp Cams K32-234-4 Cams/Lifters Ford 351C/351M/400 (item 320076319603 end time Feb-25-07 16:01:08 PST)

Headers
Walker Headers 70 Mercury Cougar 85063  FasterThanThem.com

This is kind of the set up i'm looking for

Old 02-16-2007, 12:43   #10 (permalink)

450-500 from a stock long block 2v, low compression can be done... but I doubt it would live long. Try the bottle or lower the expectations. For instance, a 2v with a funnelweb, an f246 and 11:1 at 6500 did 471 but it was built for the purpose.
rdorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech