changing 6 to v8 at Qld Dep of Transport - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2004, 12:50   #1 (permalink)

changing 6 to v8 at Qld Dep of Transport

Hello again,

I am changing a falcon 6 to a 351 in my XD. I want to have it registered as such and I would like some advice.

Would you recommend just fronting at Queensland Department of transport and getting the engine number and size changed there?

Would that involve a machinery check or just the the lady from behind the counter visually inspecting the number?

Or, what I think is the safer option. Cancel the current six cylinder rego. Going and getting a safety certificate and then re-registering it.

I only ask as I think a safety certificate would be less strict than the machinery inspector when it comes to emissions gear on the motor.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.
Cheers,
Ray Cairns. QLD
raytriplej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2004, 16:14   #2 (permalink)

Re: changing 6 to v8 at Qld Dep of Transport

hey there ray

I had my XD registered a few years ago with the 302 in it. At queensland transport they put it over the pits to make sure all the emission gear was on it, and it was. So i guess you dont want your car going over the pits. I'd advise you find another way getting around queensland transport...

p.s. By the way im in cairns aswell. xdclevo is also a cairns user. Just letting you know, good to see more FNQ'ers up 'ere.
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

FOR SALE: 1980 XD, Recently rebuilt 9" disc diff, with 3.25 gears, toploader with hurst shifter kit, 302C, DBA slotted and cross driled rotors, Fairmont interior with modified centre console, jellybean mags, reasonably good condition, driveline will handle 400+rwhp PM FOR PICS asking $3500
XDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 16:35   #3 (permalink)

How much emission stuff is there for an XD V8 anyhow??

Probably better to do it legal and have less hassles in the future.

You should have no trouble changing to a V8 as long as the brakes are at V8 spec, which I am sure they are.

Still, getting a Safety Cert may be easier than dealing with Qld T'port Machinery Inspector.

I am in Cairns also and currently looking for an XD accelerator pedal and cable - got any spares XDMAN??
ZC-Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 16:37   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDman
HOLDEN
Holes
Oil
Leaks
Dents and;
Extra
Noise
How about:
HOLDEN
Holes
Oil
Leaks
Dents
Engine
Noise
Old 06-29-2004, 16:40   #5 (permalink)

i may have a spare accelerator pedal but not cable. We just replaced the cable cause it was starting to f)ck up. Oh and we may only have the auto pedal box cause we converted it to a manual.
TuffZC, what does ya car look like, may have seen it around..
Mines black with chrome trim and jellybeans.
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

FOR SALE: 1980 XD, Recently rebuilt 9" disc diff, with 3.25 gears, toploader with hurst shifter kit, 302C, DBA slotted and cross driled rotors, Fairmont interior with modified centre console, jellybean mags, reasonably good condition, driveline will handle 400+rwhp PM FOR PICS asking $3500
XDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 16:53   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDman
i may have a spare accelerator pedal but not cable. We just replaced the cable cause it was starting to f)ck up. Oh and we may only have the auto pedal box cause we converted it to a manual.
TuffZC, what does ya car look like, may have seen it around..
Mines black with chrome trim and jellybeans.
Cool! - cables are easy to get - The Acc pedal should be held to the floor with two big self-tapping bolts - let me know if you definetly have one, cause I need to obtain one tomorrow (Thursday)

Manual, auto, the acc pedal should be the same...

I have a ZC which I have had since 1990 - some pics here:
Henry over the years

He is currently black and white like a Bluesmobile (been like that for the last 6 years)
Old 06-30-2004, 04:55   #7 (permalink)

Yes it is nice to know there are FNQers on this forum. I think I will go the deregistering, modifying and then re-safety-certificate-ing option.

Mine is a dark grey XD with the nose in the air cause of the v8 springs and only a 250 up front!! It was a neighbours family car and only has 170,000. I bought the XD 351 ute that was in the Cairns Post last week and will eventually get around to swapping it over. (The ute body was junk)

I could be in the market though for a disc brake nine inch or wider wheels (any type considered).

Cheers,
Ray, Cairns. QLD
Old 06-30-2004, 05:12   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytriplej
I bought the XD 351 ute that was in the Cairns Post last week and will eventually get around to swapping it over. (The ute body was junk)
So Ray, I hear you have a spare XD accelerator pedal...

Also, new pics as the guards came home today:

Front Guards - it must be nearly done
Old 06-30-2004, 12:38   #9 (permalink)

Let me think about that one.
Ray
Old 06-30-2004, 13:28   #10 (permalink)

Thats why I dropped my 351 into a sixer XA 1972 no emissions to worry about!
northiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech