changing lifters - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2004, 21:13   #1 (permalink)
jud

changing lifters

i have a stock standard 302c in an xc only 92000kms. it has a constant tapping sound which i think is a lifter. to change them as a set do i just take the old ones out and chuck new ones in. are there any special tricks. i know about lubing them when you put em in. thanks
jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2004, 21:14   #2 (permalink)
351 XE on LPG

Re: changing lifters

I forgot to run mine in and paid the price. Be sure to bed them in as if you were starting your motor for the first time.
Rhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 21:28   #3 (permalink)
jud

what do you mean by bed them in?
jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 03:13   #4 (permalink)
EFI 351c TD CORTINA

if your lifters are gone, and need replacing, then its time for a new cam too, as the cam has a patterm worn into it from the old lifters. The new lifters i wouldnt think would last long at all.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:51   #5 (permalink)
Nod

A worn lifter will mean a worn cam lobe and replacing the lifters alone will just be a waste of money as they will wear out very fast.
You could pull the lifters (one by one and keep them in the correct order as they must go back in the same position they came from) and check the foot of each for wear (they should be slightly convex). Easiest way to check them is to put two foot to foot and see if you can see light between them as you try to rock them. If they check out ok, take a pushrod and try to push down on the top of the lifter to see if they are binding (this may require a fair bit of force) if you cant get one to move at all you can strip them down and rebuild them.
If you buy a new cam and lifters or even one but not the other (not recommended) you must run it in at 1800-2200 rpm for about 30 mins.
Nod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 05:31   #6 (permalink)
Whats traction?

A badly worn lifter probably means the cam is stuffed, but if your replacing the lifters because they have deflated or excessively noisy then you do not need to replace the cam.

You do however need to run the new lifters in exactly the same as you would a new cam. You also need to put double the amount of moly lube on the lifters because unlike a new cam..... you can't lube the lobe and the lifter face.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:27   #7 (permalink)
'60 F100 Q-Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by jud
i have a stock standard 302c in an xc only 92000kms. it has a constant tapping sound which i think is a lifter. to change them as a set do i just take the old ones out and chuck new ones in. are there any special tricks. i know about lubing them when you put em in. thanks
Jud,

Your lifters probably just need to be cleaned. Double check your valve lash before opening up the engine...you could just have a loose rocker arm.

:davis:
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 03:31   #8 (permalink)
ignorance is bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis
Jud,

Your lifters probably just need to be cleaned. Double check your valve lash before opening up the engine...you could just have a loose rocker arm.

:davis:
For the price of a set of lifters versus gaskets and the hassle of doing it again if its worn I`d just put new lifters in an be done with it
clevokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 05:33   #9 (permalink)
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe

rebuild dads 351 new cam and lifters....

started the motor, tehy said 10 mins at over 2 grand, we got upto 8 mins, and had to shut it down as the exhaust was glowing and its done about 1000 kays now, and the lifters are tapping again!

XE Fairmont Ghia... Silver/Grey Met over black, soon to be v8, cant wait till i get another v8, after 3 LONG HARD YEARS

http://home.iprimus.com.au/diablo_vt/xeesp.swf
MaD_WoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 06:27   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD_WoG
rebuild dads 351 new cam and lifters....

started the motor, tehy said 10 mins at over 2 grand, we got upto 8 mins, and had to shut it down as the exhaust was glowing and its done about 1000 kays now, and the lifters are tapping again!
Did you check lifter preload?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech