chasing "Mick Webb 351" info - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2005, 00:20   #1 (permalink)

chasing "Mick Webb 351" info

Hi everyone,
I am looking for information on Mick Webb built 351 clevelands.
I just picked up a car which was fitted with such an engine some time in 1993-4 and was only driven occaisionally until 1997. The owner suffered a stroke and the son (from whom i purchased the car) cannot find the original receipts amongst his father's possessions but was able to say that they totalled something in the vicinity of "7 or 8 grand" and had "330hp". I took it for a quick spin after we got it fired up and yes indeed it goes hard.

Story goes that the owner had a servo back then and had this thing built to chase down petrol theives! I laughed because it would use more than anyone could possibly steal!

Externally the clues are: matching numbers black block to car (1983 LTD)
Alloy rocker covers with [MICK WEBB performance engines] sticker
Carter AFB (edelbrock) carb
Edelbrock performer 2v intake
Custom high-capacity sump with [MICK WEBB performance engines] sticker
Neat extractors
Still has nice shiny black paint on 2v heads. (apparently ported and polished)

I want to know what was done to it INTERNALLY without having to dissassemble a perfect running low-kay engine. eg: were these things built to a formula or a specific parts list or were they dependant on customer requirements?

I'd really like to know what cam it has and if it has forgies or modified rods, if it has 4v valves, modified springs, roller rockers, what oil pump, restrictors or anything like that? Guessing that MW would've thrown a few brand names in there for good measure and the price reflects that.

Maybe it could just be a "heads cam and intake" package but the sump is the giveaway that the motor has seen a little more work and attention. Also runs an FMX with hi-stall and shift kit.

If anyone has any info please share it here. Until then its a mystery to me. I have considered calling MW SVO to ask but i'm unsure what sort of info i can glean from them or even if records were kept.

Cheers, Aaron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1c_0.jpg (2.5 KB, 185 views)
aaron_hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2005, 00:45   #2 (permalink)
Approach with caution.

Re: chasing "Mick Webb 351" info

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_hogan
Hi everyone,
I am looking for information on Mick Webb built 351 clevelands.
I just picked up a car which was fitted with such an engine some time in 1993-4 and was only driven occaisionally until 1997. The owner suffered a stroke and the son (from whom i purchased the car) cannot find the original receipts amongst his father's possessions but was able to say that they totalled something in the vicinity of "7 or 8 grand" and had "330hp". I took it for a quick spin after we got it fired up and yes indeed it goes hard.

Story goes that the owner had a servo back then and had this thing built to chase down petrol theives! I laughed because it would use more than anyone could possibly steal!

Externally the clues are: matching numbers black block to car (1983 LTD)
Alloy rocker covers with [MICK WEBB performance engines] sticker
Carter AFB (edelbrock) carb
Edelbrock performer 2v intake
Custom high-capacity sump with [MICK WEBB performance engines] sticker
Neat extractors
Still has nice shiny black paint on 2v heads. (apparently ported and polished)

I want to know what was done to it INTERNALLY without having to dissassemble a perfect running low-kay engine. eg: were these things built to a formula or a specific parts list or were they dependant on customer requirements?

I'd really like to know what cam it has and if it has forgies or modified rods, if it has 4v valves, modified springs, roller rockers, what oil pump, restrictors or anything like that? Guessing that MW would've thrown a few brand names in there for good measure and the price reflects that.

Maybe it could just be a "heads cam and intake" package but the sump is the giveaway that the motor has seen a little more work and attention. Also runs an FMX with hi-stall and shift kit.

If anyone has any info please share it here. Until then its a mystery to me. I have considered calling MW SVO to ask but i'm unsure what sort of info i can glean from them or even if records were kept.

Cheers, Aaron
Best bet is drop into see him in Ringwood and get a service done, he's a good bloke and will probably remember most of the info you're looking for.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:32   #3 (permalink)
New toy in the shed

Charter st Ringwood. I think you will find it was built to a formula. And it will have most likely have been built by one of the other guys that were working At the Heidelberg shop at the time. Just because it has his name on it dosn't mean he actually built it.
ch7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 20:02   #4 (permalink)

I have one of these engines and the bloke to talk to, or was, is Shane Lowe at performance engines. Apparantly he still has the records for all these engines filed away, as he did for mine when I rang him some time ago... Good luck.
C9H14N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:27   #5 (permalink)

One of my cars had a Mick Webb engine in it when i got it. To be honest, i wasn't too fussed with it. Its now sitting under the bench, with a new engine in the car.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 22:15   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch7472
Charter st Ringwood. I think you will find it was built to a formula. And it will have most likely have been built by one of the other guys that were working At the Heidelberg shop at the time. Just because it has his name on it dosn't mean he actually built it.
Was already aware that the Shop had changed hands by then. Turns out a guy i work with did "work experience" there around that time. Although being in his teens at the time he didn't really know much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H14N
I have one of these engines and the bloke to talk to, or was, is Shane Lowe at performance engines. Apparantly he still has the records for all these engines filed away, as he did for mine when I rang him some time ago... Good luck.
Got a number? I have the car's VIN (same as engine #), former rego number etc. Specs of yours if anything known?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer
One of my cars had a Mick Webb engine in it when i got it. Its now sitting under the bench
Any ideas on specs? specs specs!
aaron_hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 15:52   #7 (permalink)

I only know of two of these engines and both had standard crank, rods and flat top speed pro pistons. There is'nt too much that is flash about them but were expected to produce around 350hp. They did do other combinations though and you would really have to check on the details with the bloke that built it. From memory, the bloke I spoke to used to be the engine builder for Mick Webb and then bought the business. I will try and find my spec sheet and e-mail it to you.
C9H14N is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech