Re: Cheap power from a 302
- 2nd hand extractors (no names, genies, whatever... i picked up a set of pacies for $120 for a mate)
- If he's not running a holley yet, he probably should be. 465ish seems to be ideal for 302's - overcarbing is bad... i found a 600 vac was too big for mine and caused bogging and general crappy running. Some say thermoquads are better, but no bastard can tune them, and getting parts is a bitch.
- If it's a factory black-block XD V8, it'll have electronic ignition, which is a good thing. If not, get a blue block-compatible factory electronic dizzy from a 351C ZH or XC.
- Get an open air filter. K&N or King Dragon washable element with a $15 supercheap special chrome lid.
- If you still want more, get a cam. They're a bitch to install with the engine in, but it's do-able. May require headwork for this though (better springs etc). Althogh a decent upgrade would simply be an XYish vintage pre-pollution cam.
- diff gear change will give it a kick in the arse. Don't know anything about XD's, but chances are it's a borgie with a ration of 2.73 or 2.92. If you don't do a lot of highway driving or have a toploader, a set of 3.5's will really wake it up.
Before you do all that, make sure the unit you have already is set up to perfection - you'd be surprised at the gains you find in stuff like
- new air filter
- plug leads
- dizzy cap & rotor button
- fuel filters (mine picked up about 400 seat-of-the-pants horsepower from new filter and lines)
- oil and oil filter
- correct timing
- correct mixtures on whatever carb you have already.
Uhm... yeah. That's about it. Ultimately, the best thing you can do is just save for a rebuild with a 351 crank, like I did. It can be done relatively cheaply if you do it yourself. I just gave my mechanic lots of money and he did it for me. I'm stoked!
*note: I'm by no means an expert, but i did get a lot of experience for the 12 months or so i wrenched every last drop out of my 302. Listen to others on the forum, particularly dudes like Davis and StrokeXD etc... They know what they're on about.
351C ZH MARQUISINATOR
Presenting, at great cost to management:
.020 over 351 Clevo, 10:1 comp, ported 302 heads, blueprinted and balanced, custom ground cam, Edelbrock intake, 600 Holley, K&N air filter, Custom Zip-Ties(tm), MSD ignition, Genie extractors, 2 x 2.5" exhaust, 2800rpm stally, rooted C4