Chev Rods - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2006, 02:21   #1 (permalink)

Question Chev Rods

Just wondering if it is possible to run chev 6inch rods on 351C crank using custom pistons. If possible what has to be done?
Just asking because i have noticed Chev H beam rods are way cheaper then the cleveland ones
F399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2006, 03:47   #2 (permalink)

Re: Chev Rods

You wouldn't bother running the stock C crank, you can get eagle forged 3.5" 10/10 cranks for 400$ with chev journals , and use any rod length you desire, with a piston to suit.
LTD351T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:12   #3 (permalink)

stick with 6" clev rods on a 351c crank instead.
pistons can be had from srp
XR Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:09   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F399
Just wondering if it is possible to run chev 6inch rods on 351C crank using custom pistons. If possible what has to be done?
Just asking because i have noticed Chev H beam rods are way cheaper then the cleveland ones
Yes,its easy to do.
Take your crank to a machine shop and have them machine down the big ends to SBC dimensions whilst maintaining the stock stroke. Then have them widen the crank journals to suit the chev rods cause they are wider than the clev stuff. Custom pistons are needed though.
I have a set of Ross pistons to suit this application ,however they are more of a race orientated design.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 14:22   #5 (permalink)
CLEVO KID

You can buy of the self Probe pistons for this application at a fair price-.927 pin size.
potty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 15:58   #6 (permalink)

hi F399,
yep, the comments here are all correct. when i got longer rods for mine, cheap cranks were still not an option, so i stuck with standard stroke.

If you are looking for best bang for your buck, then stroking is definately the way to go. Reading all of the other posts in here, you'll find that a capacity of over 400 cubes is achievable with the right setup.

If you are looking to retain the stock stroke, then 6.250 inches of rod length is about the maximum you can go. It will still require custom pistons, and the oil ring with probably need supports as the ring will be so low on the short skirt.

cheers
gus351
gus351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 16:06   #7 (permalink)

I don't know why anyone would bother with the std crank, whats it cost to have the fournals machined? and after that its still just a cast crank.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:54   #8 (permalink)
CLEVO KID

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD351T
I don't know why anyone would bother with the std crank, whats it cost to have the fournals machined? and after that its still just a cast crank.
You will find that most cheap after market cranks are cast to?alot of these cranks are advertised as Steel ,but what they really mean is cast steel???
potty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:58   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD351T
Thats what I was thinking if you can pick up a forged crank for only $400, as labour would at least be a few hundred to have one machined?
And wouldn't a forged crank be both stronger and lighter then any of the stock 351C cranks?
F399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:06   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by potty
You will find that most cheap after market cranks are cast to?alot of these cranks are advertised as Steel ,but what they really mean is cast steel???
Yes for sure, but the eagle 10/10 3.5" cranks are factory rejects. They come 10/10 hence why they are less than half the price, but they only usually have them in 3.5" stroke. They are sold as "4340 forged" who knows what it really is but plenty of people run them. My engine builder says a safe 1100HP as long as rpm kept below 6500, the rods are weak point in my case not the crank, zero balance would be even better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech