Cleaning My Block? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2006, 23:33   #1 (permalink)

Cleaning My Block?

Hi im new to the scene but enjoy reading the comments and tips etc on this cool forum.
My question is what is the easiest and cheapestest way of cleaning a motor to get a show look. Has anyone dressed up their motor? I would like to know how?
Does anyone have any ideas or products to use.
Thanks
tuff351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2006, 02:27   #2 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

Re: Cleaning My Block?

Post some pics of ya engine and bay Then we can see what you are working with .
Plus what are you looking at detail work or dress up or both .Also budget would be good so we know what price range for dress up gear .
tony xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:58   #3 (permalink)

when i build engine i spend about 2 hours cleaning outside of block and top of
( around lifter bores)roughly then i get machining done and spend about 3-4 hours finishing it off
i use grinders , files , pencil grinders and sand paper , its a mission but i cant help myself , i do same thing to heads , then i build it , get it dynoed and then spend another 3 or so hours on the whole show , then i paint the whole thing with solid paint and then clear , heaps of coats
pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:05   #4 (permalink)

use oven cleaner to clean the grease off , i used this to clean a set of old heads and they came out perfectly clean , it even removed the carbon from the exhaust ports
krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 15:31   #5 (permalink)

kero overhaul? steam clean or wash with kero, another good tip if the engines in the car is to spray old tranny oil over everything, then hose off,. I had a tranny cooler explode and when i washed it down everything including all the plastic stuff was asa clean as new.
Old 05-07-2006, 18:43   #6 (permalink)

To tony xa- I have just pulled my 351c out of my xa including the trans. Its full of dirt,grease,oil etc. I plan on attacking it with a hot waterblaster but unsure how much good it will do. I basically want a total alloy look. Pinkbits comment is more want i'm looking at doing.
Question for Pinkbits-Anychance of a pic of ya motor. When you grinded everything did you coat it with a clear coat or colour?

Thanks for your replies guys
tuff351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 00:11   #7 (permalink)

i used an industrial 2 pack primer thats pretty wicked , then snaded , thats sanded , then a few coats of solid 2 pack and a few of clear over that after flash off , it does go brown above exhaust ports though ( not burn as far as peal off) , you may not notice it on a darker colour, but ive overheated it and go in burnout comps etc

for a different look you could get it aluminium sprayed , its a rough finish though , noit smooth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg enginebay.jpg (89.6 KB, 55 views)
Old 05-08-2006, 00:12   #8 (permalink)

tell me if you w3ant any better picks and ill take some , thats all that i had on computer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech